• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing sticks

matt23h

So I am in the market to buy some climbing sticks. Trying to figure out which ones to get I been eyeing the beast sticks. Any suggestions on sticks would be appreciated and pros and cons. I’m new to saddle hunting and not ready to try one sticking yet.

How high do you like you hunt?
What step distance are you comfortable with?
Are you planing on using a aider, what type.
I like 17-20’ hunting height. I’m 5’6 so 20-24” step. I was think of running an aider off the bottom step I seen the two step aider for the bottom. If I need to I will run a one step aider on the rest.

I believe best bang for the buck is Novix/trophyline I did not like my API/muddy stand offs. Saying that Im using now discontinued 24" beast sticks and while it's a stretch step to step I can get by with 3 and typically use no aides.

Edit, I'm 5'8 and flexible with no plans on changing

I like 17-20’ hunting height. I’m 5’6 so 20-24” step. I was think of running an aider off the bottom step I seen the two step aider for the bottom. If I need to I will run a one step aider on the rest.
In a 20" step, the Shikar, LWCG and Beast are the ones that I know of. There may be others.

I believe best bang for the buck is Novix/trophyline I did not like my API/muddy stand offs. Saying that Im using now discontinued 24" beast sticks and while it's a stretch step to step I can get by with 3 and typically use no aides.
What didn't u like? I have api standoff on my sticks and never had a single complaint

You also need to think about how you plan to carry them in. I use the full length lone wolfs, and while they are good sticks and i love them, they can be cumbersome to carry. Weldabeast is right about all being pretty much the same, i have researched alot of them and they all have similar weights and accomplish the same thing. I myself have considered getting some smaller sticks,either 17-20'' and continue using aiders. I think i would also at this point make sure to purchase sticks that have the double step as there have been many times where i just some how messed up my footing coming down and had the wrong sided foot for how the step was set. If i decide to purchase another set,im personally looking at either beast myself or novix

You also need to think about how you plan to carry them in. I use the full length lone wolfs, and while they are good sticks and i love them, they can be cumbersome to carry. Weldabeast is right about all being pretty much the same, i have researched alot of them and they all have similar weights and accomplish the same thing. I myself have considered getting some smaller sticks,either 17-20'' and continue using aiders. I think i would also at this point make sure to purchase sticks that have the double step as there have been many times where i just some how messed up my footing coming down and had the wrong sided foot for how the step was set. If i decide to purchase another set,im personally looking at either beast myself or novix
Yeah that’s what I was think didn’t really want sticks to long for carrying reasons plus I do want steps on both sides. For I would do the same and step down with the wrong foot lol

I forgot, the only one I know of also in a 24".

forgot all about EWO sticks...looks like a great option as well. is the 26oz weight with components installed?

I'm a huge fan of @DanO and support EWO whenever possible. That being said, the EWO Ultralight is a waste of money unless you plan on 1-sticking.

A 20" Hawk Helium weighs virtually the same for about 1/3 the price. A 4-pack of these is only about $40 more than a single EWO stick.

IMO, being new to this, you'll change everything a dozen times then change everything a dozen times more. Start out cheap and find what works for you and what doesn't. Once you know that, focus on what you like and spend accordingly.

I've landed on beast minis and I'm no longer interested in other climbing methods or stick.... they are awesome.... best part is you can get them for a good price on here... maybe not right now... but they're fantastic sticks... light, strong, American made... I made some USAs and some amsteel aiders for them and get to 17ft to the top of the 3rd stick...

Xop or trophyline doubles.
trophyline i believer are the novix sticks but are sold somehow by trophyline.
i myself like the beast sticks or the lwcg doublesteps.
i use two setups for different scenarios though
Depends on how long im sitting to what setup im going to use

I have to disagree a little with some of the above posts. I am not trying to start anything. But I would not recommend to someone I did not like that they should bet their life on a China climbing stick.

I have to disagree a little with some of the above posts. I am not trying to start anything. But I would not recommend to someone I did not like that they should bet their life on a China climbing stick.
That is a valid statement but we're not talking about carabiners or life safety rope but relatively thick hunks of aluminum. You're correct and fully support american companies and american products whenever possible but the OP is asking about a first set of sticks, not "lifetime sticks". As such, buy cheap, see if you like it, then buy quality.

To the OP, there are alot of saddlehunters in FL. Maybe reach out to some of them and see if you can look at or try out their sticks first.

That is a valid statement but we're not talking about carabiners or life safety rope but relatively thick hunks of aluminum. You're correct and fully support american companies and american products whenever possible but the OP is asking about a first set of sticks, not "lifetime sticks". As such, buy cheap, see if you like it, then buy quality.

To the OP, there are alot of saddlehunters in FL. Maybe reach out to some of them and see if you can look at or try out their sticks first.
That’s a good idea I’ll see if I can find a few here around me thanks for the advice.

Back