• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbrite Ultralight Aluminum

jryser

Was able to secure these for $250 with free shipping today with some guidance from G2! They are easy to find and I’m excited to try climbing this way. Now to unload Lone Wolf sticks and Muddy lock ons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid pickup. Make sure to practice 4 or 5 times before hunting. There's a learning curve for sure. Also, once your Tethrd Predator comes in, practice taking them off and putting them back on while on the platform.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I gotta say just for context, 4 or 5 times doesn't begin to cover the learning curve of these things for me personally. Just finished up my third practice session, and I am nowhere near deploying them in a hunting situation. I'm not even sure I am going to get to that point this season. And I am a pretty athletic young dude, albeit with a lifelong fear of heights. I haven't gone above 8 feet yet, just not fully trusting that I am not going to gaff out and slice my Achilles in half. Maybe I just need to get that first gaff-out over with. I definitely need my mantis to get here because I sold my Kestrel and the 1" linemans belt on my rock harness is really digging in my hips. These gaffs you really lean into your belt more than with sticks. And because these aren't private conversations, it is information in the public domain, I think we have to remind ourselves at times we are using potentially deadly climbing gear, without any professional training in most cases. We are kind of nuts. Obviously anytime you get 20 feet up in the air there are dangers, but I think with spurs there are a few extra safety considerations wearing 3 inch long knives attached to your feet.

I had a couple times I kicked out. I was taking big steps going up and it kicked out just as I was getting ready to stick the other one. A couple other times going down it never got a good hold and just kind of slid down. Every time was my fault and in a hurry. Take small steps. No reason to stretch trying to get to a certain height like with steps or sticks. You will run out of tree before you run out of spurs.

Yeah I could probably give them a go on a nice weather evening hunt. Zero dark thirty without a flashlight I am quite a ways off. I think if I start tying in my tether once I get a ways off the ground I will feel better. I am actually feeling ok on straight stems. The one maple in my yard I am currently destroying is really twisty and knotty, so it's a pretty advanced course to start on.

I had a couple times I kicked out. I was taking big steps going up and it kicked out just as I was getting ready to stick the other one. A couple other times going down it never got a good hold and just kind of slid down. Every time was my fault and in a hurry. Take small steps. No reason to stretch trying to get to a certain height like with steps or sticks. You will run out of tree before you run out of spurs.

Yep. I take a few small steps and flip my line up and repeat. You don't have anything else to stop and hook up so no need to race up the tree on a hunt. I normally take a few steps and stop and look around and it still only takes me a few minutes to climb all the way up.

I started on a 15 foot ladder, deathly afraid of heights. Couldn’t even get on a step ladder. It took time and now I have zero issues hunting from the smallest lock on stand no matter the height. I am one of those crazy oddballs / taking many safety precautions but getting in all the way with whatever I’m doing.

The best advice my pops ever gave me was “easy does it” so that’s my plan. Hopefully I won’t slice something but it’s always a risk. I actually had a kick out from a broken climb paw that gave completely away and nearly impaled myself on an old green tree screw in. Minimize risk - but there will always be an element of it.

I was surprised by how quick you can climb while taking small steps. I was 10 ft up before I knew it. There's really no need to stretch out with spikes.

I started on a 15 foot ladder, deathly afraid of heights. Couldn’t even get on a step ladder. It took time and now I have zero issues hunting from the smallest lock on stand no matter the height. I am one of those crazy oddballs / taking many safety precautions but getting in all the way with whatever I’m doing.

The best advice my pops ever gave me was “easy does it” so that’s my plan. Hopefully I won’t slice something but it’s always a risk. I actually had a kick out from a broken climb paw that gave completely away and nearly impaled myself on an old green tree screw in. Minimize risk - but there will always be an element of it.

My biggest fear with the spikes was sticking myself with one! After you use them for a while you'll see that would be pretty hard to do, although not completely impossible. Just be mindful of what they can do and you'll be fine. Screw in pegs scare me more than climbing spikes lol.

My biggest fear with the spikes was sticking myself with one! After you use them for a while you'll see that would be pretty hard to do, although not completely impossible. Just be mindful of what they can do and you'll be fine. Screw in pegs scare me more than climbing spikes lol.

Me too Flingin! They truly do.

Back