• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold Weather Gear

NWFLBowhunter

Ok I have a question for you northern folks. If you were hunting in 30 degree weather all day, what layers would you wear? Here's my problem, I'm from Florida so anything below 50 is down right cold. Looking for the thinnest solution that will keep me comfortable for all day sits when its the coldest here 20-30 degrees. Down here the solution in the stores are thin base layer and then thick bibs/jacket or coveralls not a lot of options in the stores to choose from..way to thick to be in a saddle with. So just looking for some advice form those that hunt in cold weather while in a saddle.

Well, i've bowhunted in brutal single digit temps up here in Michigan. It's not the funnest thing to do... haha

I went out and hunted today for 4 hours. Temps in MI were hovering just above freezing whem I went out, with a high of 40F today.

I decided to break out the heavy duty insulated parka and bibs.

I have the Bowhunter Extreme bibs + parka from Cabelas. They're incredibly warm, and have TONS of useful pockets. But unfortunately they're not completely silent. They have some 'dry-plus' fabric that is slightly noisy... but not noisy enough that I wouldn't be comfortable drawing on a beast with them. These are bulky garments, no doubt, but I wore them in my saddle just the same. Actually it was the first time I wore such bulky hunting garments in the saddle. It was totally fine. I practice drawing a couple of times when I got upto hunting height and had no issues with the bulk of the garments.

I have worn these garments down to single digit temps, with brutal wind and snow howling around me and have stayed incredibly toasty. A hand muff is an absolute must, as I have found every pair of 'bowhunting' gloves (ie: with a velcroed wrist for a wrist strap release) to be totally worthless. I have an under armour scent control (zeolite) facemask that I have that works great for cutting wind against exposed areas of the face. It fights very close to skin and you can wear a stocking cap over it. Or I have a scentlok stocking cap if the wind isn't too hellacious. I also have a scentlok ranger-style cap + facemask combo but I have found this garment to be very restrictive for bowhunting. You lose all sense of anchor points (can barely feel knuckle under ear or string touching nose) when using it. It might make a fine rifle season garment....

But I think the most important thing is layering. A good set of baselayers is super important. I purchased a pricey set of ECWCS heavyweight bottoms and top from Bass Pro Shops a few years ago. They are a high-loft hollow core garment that are the warmest winter clothing I have ever owned. I only wear other layers over them sparingly in the house because they are that warm. I will then layer a set of scent-lok lightweight baselayers over those. And if the temperature is very extreme I have a a set of under armour 100% polyester fleece sweat pants + sweater.

For the feet I will wear a pair of merino wool socks, or a thermalite liner sock under the merino wool socks. The lacrosse aeroheads are actually not very breathable boots, so I will often leave them undone until I get to my stand so that my feet aren't sweat rags.

TL;DR My MI Cold Weather Single Digits OutFit

Head:
Under Armour Scent Control Face Mask
Under Armour Scent Control Beanie
Scentlok Fleece Stocking Cap

Baselayers:
Redhead XPS ECWCS XTREME 4.0 Bottoms + Top
Scentlok Lightweight Baselayers

Insulating Layers:
Cabelas Bowhunter Extreme SST Parka + Bibs
Under Armour 100% Polyester Fleece Sweatpants + Crew Sweater

Hands:
Scentlok liner gloves
Cabelas MT050 Handmuff (Extremely warm, but made for dudes with small girly hands)

Feet:
Thermalite Liner Sock
Merino Wool Kneehigh Socks
7mm Lacrosse Aeroheads

Also I like to buy a bunch of grabber warmers in the off season - like march april may. These things are amazing, and they are super useful for all sorts of outdoor activities. I first found out about them for ice fishing, and would use the boot inserts. If it is super cold out I will throw a couple of them into my handmuff, and in extreme cases, attach a couple to my baselayers in rib/abdomen area.

Anyway, that does it. Weather gets pretty gnarly up here in MI. Hope that helps!

I'm going to use the iwom this year. I made my bridge removable. I wear a base layer and then my evoultion and the iwom like a parka. The iwom has pockets on each side so I can run my bridge through. After I'm hooked up I drop the bottom and zip in.

Proverbs 27:17

You might want to look at the cabelas wooltimate with windshear. Go on their site and you can ask for live assistance as well. I just did this because I have worn my stand hunter extreme the past couple days to keep warm. It has worked great, but it is only 40 degrees out and I shouldn't have to wear that yet! All of my other stuff just isn't cutting it. I was down between some wooltimate windshear and the MT050 gore tex coveralls and I went with the coveralls. I get cold easier than most and I am tired of layering up like the marshmellow man. I have found I much prefer to wear a light layer to the tree and carry a pair of appropraite weighted coveralls, rather than carrying all of my different layers to put on.

One of the most important things is to make sure you don't sweat on the way in.

I will go so far as to wear only shorts and a t-shirt on the way in, even when it's frigid out. I've had some strange looks thrown my way, but I sweat really easily, so as long as I'm moving (hiking) I'm ok like that. Once I get near the tree, I towel off if I got sweaty, change into most of my layers and get setup. From there, I'll have a couple extra layers in case I start to get cold.

Handwarmers on your kidneys helps immensely in real cold weather. Also I like at least one vest. Keeping an extra layer or two on the core keeps you warmer and cuts down on bulk on the arms for bowhunting.

For thermals, I just wear all the old military issue Polypros in varying thicknesses. They are very wicking and warm. I also wear a lot of fleece stuff.

For boots, I go up an extra size, which makes them two sizes bigger than usual. It allows a warm pocket of air to build up and keeps circulation in your feet. Cause usually, your feet are the first thing to go if you're going to get cold. Since using boots two sizes too big with a wicking sock and wool sock, I rarely ever get cold feet anymore.

I'm a pretty "warm" person, so I get away with wearing a little less clothing when it's cold than some people, but all of these things apply to anyone I think.

i lived in south Florida for 13 years and moved back home to Maine in Feb. 2013. I use the UA coldgear infrared Ridge reaper. It has been working well so far up here in the North woods. Rally light yet fairly warm. I havent worn it in a Nor easter yet though. LOL

I'm a big fan of merino wool base layers. Great breathability, insulation and odor free. Merino is by far my favorite.

Many threads on AT about merino - check them out. You'll probably see my posts saying to check out LL Bean's cresta wool line - good stuff and a lot cheaper than other brands.

-Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew13 said:
I'm a big fan of merino wool base layers. Great breathability, insulation and odor free. Merino is by far my favorite.

Many threads on AT about merino - check them out. You'll probably see my posts saying to check out LL Bean's cresta wool line - good stuff and a lot cheaper than other brands.

-Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my merino woold base layers also.

Merino wool +3 in 30 degree weather though I'd be in my speedo...... Sorry in MN today it was 8 and blowin 20
I don't know what it is with merino, but if I overheat on the way in it seems better than the rest of my other under garmets.
And it's so so comfy!!

NWFLBowhunter,

This has been a problem that has plagued me for years and I still haven't quite figured it out especially for areas that require a lengthy walk to the stand. Other than dressing lightly and walking slowly to the stand and then putting my heavy layers on the only other option or plan I can offer is the body warmers and hand warmers to keep you warm. I have used the Heater Body Suit and that works really well but would be tough to use out of the saddle without some sort of modification. I have Arctic Shield system that consists of parka, bibs, boot warmers, and gloves which is very warm but can be noisy and bulky so I'm not sure if that is the best solution either.

If you were hunting a hang on stand I would suggest the HBS or one of the other systems because you can put it on after climbing into the stand and it is very warm and cuts the wind. With the saddle I would think coveralls or a jacket and bib system would work much better. If I come up with anything else I'll let you know, keep us posted if you come up with anything you think might work.

Roger

I am currently using a top base layer of Colombia Omni Heat which I like. It's similar to the Arctic Shield concept of body heat reflection but it's much quieter and very flexible and breathes.

Roger, I've always thought the Arctic Shield clothing made a lot of sense but had my doubts about its noisiness. Is it really game-spooking noisy or is it perceived noisy because your ears are so close to it? I'm also surprised to hear it's bulky because I thought their concept included thinner and lighter than traditional insulation. I use the boot covers and their hand muff. It seems to me they are noisy close but maybe not 20 feet below and a few yards away. ..

I have the bibs. They are bulky. I don't find the noise too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fawnzy said:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Cold-Weather-Camo-Clothing/Mens-Cold-Weather-Camo-Bib-Coveralls%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104274180/i/104048280/Cabelas-Stand-Hunter-Extreme-Insulated-Coveralls/753783.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMens-Cold-Weather-Camo-Bib-Coveralls%2F104048280.uts&WTz_l=DirectLoad%3Bcat104048280

Has anyone used this?

Yes, that is my go to cold weather gear. As far as warmth, it is pretty awesome. Depending on how cold it is, I can throw on a few layers underneath if necessary and also use hand/body warmers.

The downside is is is bulky and heavy for a garmet. I strap it to my backpack for the walk in and put it on at the tree. I have to pay attention to the collar because if I don't it can jut out and I may hit it when drawing back my bow. I just make sure I press it down when I first get in the tree.

I have sat using this system in single digit weather over the past few winters. I have used it without any layering multiple times this year and was out in 17 degree windy weather our opening day of shotgun season last week.

That is a great price, now is the time of year to buy it. I payed about the same when I bought mine.

Thanks Red,
This may be a late Xmas gift to me!

Back