• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Contacted Day One Camo

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I contacted Gary at Day One camo and was explaining to him the fact that many here are looking for bags and pouches that are quiet and durable for using with their saddles and sent him a picture of what a saddle looks like and a dump bag or pouch. The reason I did this is I have one of his fleece packs that I bought back in 1990 and it is still going strong, I've had him make a couple of repairs to the straps, due to incidents with carrying my climber and stuff but otherwise it's still in great shape. Also I have many hunting friends who own his stuff in fleece and wool and rave about it and he has tons of different camos to choose from which should make everyone happy. So I was hoping I could get input from everyone here as to what types of bags or pouches they would like to see him make and I will pass that along to him when I talk to him after the holidays. Thanks all looking forward to your input.

Roger

Dump pouches the size of a large cup holder would be cool. Drawstring or magnetic closure and molle style connections.

These are great to put on each side of the saddle. Lineman's belt on one side, tree strap on the other.

Hey Roger,

I posted this in the 'scent control' forum mostly since I didn't know where to put it but I was looking for some feedback about day one camo. Here's what I asked:

Anyone own any of their garments?

I'm really impressed with their ability to customize your garments - especially to add scentlok to some awesome camo patterns (predator fall grey). I came across this company when looking for 'cold weather archery gear' - there are many favorable reviews from around the net with their stuff.

I have been less impressed with my cabela's bowhunter xtreme the longer the season goes on... bulky, noisy, heavy.

I think i'd like to change up my cold weather system from relying on bulky, insulated gear to a layering system with a windstopper/waterproof fabric outershell.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with them.

Thanks,
d_rek

d-rek ,

I'm sorry I must have somehow missed that post or skimmed it and didn't read the whole thing I'm guilty of that from time to time but yes I know a lot of guys who own Day One Camo and really like it I only own the pack but it's the best money I've ever spent. His stuff is very well made and there are tons of options but it's not cheap and there is sometimes a long wait on popular items if you don't order ahead of time or the off season. Other than that most people love Gary's stuff and are repeat customers and recommend his stuff to fellow hunters.

I would contact him and tell him what your interested in I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you. One thing I know it's hard to beat his options and selection of camo I know a lot of ASAT fans who've bought his stuff because he is one of the guys that offers that pattern in a lot of different products.

Roger

jhicks54 said:
Dump pouches the size of a large cup holder would be cool. Drawstring or magnetic closure and molle style connections.

These are great to put on each side of the saddle. Lineman's belt on one side, tree strap on the other.

I agree that we need a better solution for this for the aero hunter. I could go either way on if they are individual dump pouches for each strap or if it is one pouch like the tree saddle had. I was a big fan of the pouch for the tree saddle but I couldn't make it work good with my aero hunter.

So basically a custom pouch or pouches designed to attach to the aero hunter made of fleece. I would prefer drawstrings over magnets personally.

I have been using some military surplus molle pouches since september and they work, but we can do better.

d_rek said:
Hey Roger,

I posted this in the 'scent control' forum mostly since I didn't know where to put it but I was looking for some feedback about day one camo. Here's what I asked:

I'm really impressed with their ability to customize your garments - especially to add scentlok to some awesome camo patterns (predator fall grey). I came across this company when looking for 'cold weather archery gear' - there are many favorable reviews from around the net with their stuff.

I have been less impressed with my cabela's bowhunter xtreme the longer the season goes on... bulky, noisy, heavy.

I think i'd like to change up my cold weather system from relying on bulky, insulated gear to a layering system with a windstopper/waterproof fabric outershell.

Thanks,
d_rek

I agree that the stuff looks pretty nice. I never heard of it until now. Where did you see the option to add scentlok?

I also have a huge bag full of the military surplus pouches. We can definitely do better!

redsquirrel said:
d_rek said:
Hey Roger,

Thanks,
d_rek

I agree that the stuff looks pretty nice. I never heard of it until now. Where did you see the option to add scentlok?

Most garments you can choose a liner type ie: parka and bibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d_rek said:

Ahh I see now. I was looking at the day pack which looks really nice. I guess I'd have to contact him to see if he could do a scentlok liner in the pack.

redsquirrel said:
d_rek said:

Ahh I see now. I was looking at the day pack which looks really nice. I guess I'd have to contact him to see if he could do a scentlok liner in the pack.

It wouldn't surprise me if he could. I plan on giving him a call after the holidays.

RS & d_rek,

Yes Gary is pretty flexible and like I said sometimes it takes a while to get your order but it's well worth the wait he does quality work. Redsquirrel my pack is over 20 years old I got mine back in 1990 and it's still going strong, and man has it been used and abused, but it's still my go to pack every year. One of the reasons I like it so much is because it's really quiet and I know where everything is, plus it holds everything I need and if I have to I can strap stuff under the top flap. The only thing I would change is the camo it's Treebark and I'd prefer ASAT but someday when it wears out or I give it away I'll get one in ASAT.

Roger

Back