• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cranford eze steps reviews?

Jimmy Wallhanger

Hey guys, Im thinking of actually pulling the trigger on a saddle this year. The pubilc land I hunt does not have a ton of trees my climber can get into.

I have had a stand and sticks set up before but literally hated the lone wolf sticks.

I am considering using cranford steps but want info from people who have actually used them to climb trees.

how many to get to 20 feet?

how hard is it to climb up/down in the dark?

what kind of steps do you use? the folding? etc,,,,

do you use tape to silcence them?

how easy are they to user? part of teh reason I dont want sticks is I sweat like a pig climbing with them.

im really looking for the ultimate run n gun set up. I would love to be set up ready to kill within 10 minutes of finding a tree.

thank you in advance

Jimmy Wallhanger said:
Hey guys, Im thinking of actually pulling the trigger on a saddle this year. The pubilc land I hunt does not have a ton of trees my climber can get into.

I have had a stand and sticks set up before but literally hated the lone wolf sticks.

I am considering using cranford steps but want info from people who have actually used them to climb trees.

how easy are they to user? part of teh reason I dont want sticks is I sweat like a pig climbing with them.

im really looking for the ultimate run n gun set up. I would love to be set up ready to kill within 10 minutes of finding a tree.

thank you in advance

For run and gun, I would go with the strap steps. I have personally found that while sticks are a sweaty method, they are still best for me. As far as the screw in steps go - Cranford are the best. Super sharp points, easy to start and finish. For climbing you want the Folding step. It has a 'groove' in it and a hooked end which helps your grip on hand and boot when you climb.
For the platform, you want the Deluxe step. It is flat on top. so it won't snag the studs on your boots and pull up off the tree. When they go up, the can go down... and the down is metal on metal sound.

I have the rope steps but haven't used them in a hunting situation yet so I'll let someone else take that one.

If you plan on moving around a lot from tree to tree, you might want to get a set of at least 12 "Climbpaws" strap-on steps. They are super quiet, have a large foot step area and you can grab onto them with your bare hands when climbing even when it's cold, unlike metal strap-on steps. I bought a green military laundry bag to carry my Climbpaws. I installed two drawstrings in the top of the laundry bag so that I can tie the bag on the back side of the tree I've climbed when I'm up as high as I want to go and it is out of the way. I also took a briefcase shoulder strap from a computer briefcase I had and snapped the clips on to the top edge of the laundry bag for easier carrying. This system works great for me with my Tree Saddle or TreeSuit.
Lots of times I'll go to a particular tree from which I want to hunt in the early afternoon, put my longbow/recurve bow and my daypack on the ground, attach my haul line to both, adjust the shoulder strap on my laundry bag with my Climbpaws on my right shoulder so that I can easily get the Climbpaws out of the bag. I install the first four Climbpaws around the tree from the ground, attach my safety/climbing belt around the tree, then start climbing and attaching the remaining Climbpaws as I ascend. Once I'm up to the height from which I want to hunt, I attach two Climbpaws at the same height and they form the level base for my feet. I attach my Treesuit or Treesaddle to the tree to suit myself, unhook my safety/climbing belt and check to see that everything feels right. I use the two long drawstrings I have installed in the top opening of the military laundry bag to tie the empty bag to the back of the tree or to some other location on the tree where it is not in my way. I have a gear strap that I tie just a little above my head to hang my bow, day pack, calls and any other item I want to be able to reach quickly. Once I feel everything is set, I haul my day pack and my longbow or recurve bow up, hang the bow on one of the holders on the gear strap, hang the day pack on one of the other holders on the gear strap, get my rattling antlers and calls out of the day pack and hang them on the gear strap as well. I grab my bow, nock an arrow on the bowstring, use the Saunders arrow holder that is adhered to the bow to keep the nocked arrow in place on my bow. This written explanation took much longer than the actual physical process. I've seen guys ascend trees with their Climbpaws in less than six minutes.
If I plan on hunting from this tree the next morning or in the near future, I just leave my military laundry bag, my gear strap and the Climbpaws attached to the tree and climb down. I have even left everything, including my bow, calls and daypack overnight in trees, when I planned on returning in the early morning to hunt that same tree. On some private land where I have permission to hunt, I have left Climpaws strapped to trees for several weeks and they stay secure. Hope this helps you. I feel really secure when hunting and shooting out of my Tree Saddle and Treesuit, since I never feel like I'm trying to keep my balance on the edge of a hang-on or climbing stand like I used to in the past. I will say you should practice hanging in your Tree Saddle or whatever suspension system you are using FROM GROUND LEVEL until you get used to hanging and shooting from your Tree Saddle or other suspension system. I used to install two Climbpaws about 8 inches off the ground on a tree in my back yard, and practice doing all of the above listed techniques, plus shooting my bow, while being suspended only 8" off of ground level. Once you are confident at ground level, then you should be able to feel comfortable doing the same things at real hunting heights.

how many times can you say climbpaws in a post?

I will never spend mopney on climb paws. I emailed them several times in the past and gotten no reply. theyt have bad customer service. Im big on customer service

I do not know about current Climbpaws customer service, I've had three sets of Cimbpaws from when they first came out and I love them!

I use the cranford rope steps quite a bit. They're good. But I don't use them as my primary climbing method. I'll use them to gain a few extra feet if I'm using sticks, or I'll use them as my platform if I'm using spurs. They work good though and they're small and easy to install.

Shaun.

Are you looking for a strap on or screw in option?

I have not used climb paws but most of the people that I know who have tried them feel they are too bulky for a run and gun method.

I don't think that cranford rope steps for the entire tree is a great run and gun option either. I have done this and its slow going up. I would rather use 3 lone wolf sticks and supplement them with a few cranford rope steps to get some additional height, this is much quicker.

If you are talking screw in steps, then the cranford ez screw ins are very good. Personally I'd still rather use sticks if I'm hunting that tree once, but those steps are nice and they go in quickly.

I'm short but I would need about 14 to get to 20 feet. I do not tape them and I have no problem climbing on sticks or steps in the dark.

Any method of setting up a tree on the fly is going to have you breaking a sweat if you don't go slowly. I have tried them all and for a portable strap on method I prefer 3 sticks with aiders with a few extra steps. I can usually be set up in 15 minutes.

how many times can you say climbpaws in a post?

I will never spend mopney on climb paws. I emailed them several times in the past and gotten no reply. theyt have bad customer service. Im big on customer service
Agree, never received a response on the last 2 emails I sent them

I used bolts this season. Anyplace where you can use screw in steps you can also take a cordless drill and drill/bolt your way up. I set up a tree with 12-18 bolts, elbow to fingertip length apart. Then I use three on each side of the tree for a platform, one center front between my feet, and one center back opposite the front one. That lets me work all the way around the tree. I pull the bottom ten bolts on the way down and that tree is good for the season. I borrowed this from a video on this site. I can set up a tree in about fifteen minutes doing it this way. I set up probably a dozen trees this year, and it was tons easier than doing the same thing with the screw ins that I've used in the past.

Late to this thread and assume you've already got what you need. I don't think there has ever been a step made that I haven't owned and tried including a dozen Climbpaws which I tried on a tree in my yard and then gave to my son in law, never used them hunting because they were simply too cumbersome to carry as free lance steps and I would never ever leave strap on steps on a tree for any extended period of time due to squirrels, especially red squirrels, possibly knawing on the ropes wrapped around the tree on each, after all they are supporting your life. I've had many 3/8 inch dia. nylon bow ropes chewed completely through by squirrels, and laying on the ground. Concerning strap ons, Cranford makes the best as there easy to use and are not very cumbersome. The major issue I have with all strap ons however (only 2 companies make them now) is that they limit the size of tree you can hunt as the ropes are only so long. One of the main features of an altered saddle is that their are no limits to the size of tree you can hunt, which not only opens up a lot more tree options, the larger trees offer more concealment cover.

In fact Cranford makes the very best screw in steps in every one of the following categories; single folds, T-steps, double folds, detachable steps, and conventional rod steps. They also make the best camera mounts (Midget T Trail mount and Second Ops), and the best gun and bow hangers.

Jimmy, If you don't already have the steps you need or aren't satisfied with what you purchased, I have a couple questions.

Do you exclusively hunt public land where you have no other option other than strap ons?
Are you exclusively a freelance hunter that preps the tree moments before you hunt it and removes the steps on the way down after the hunt?
Do you have the ability to prepare locations and leave your steps in the trees all season or beyond and if so how many locations would you be preparing?
Lastly, do you own your own property or hunt properties where you can use a cordless drill and spikes?

Late to this thread and assume you've already got what you need. I don't think there has ever been a step made that I haven't owned and tried including a dozen Climbpaws which I tried on a tree in my yard and then gave to my son in law, never used them hunting because they were simply too cumbersome to carry as free lance steps and I would never ever leave strap on steps on a tree for any extended period of time due to squirrels, especially red squirrels, possibly knawing on the ropes wrapped around the tree on each, after all they are supporting your life. I've had many 3/8 inch dia. nylon bow ropes chewed completely through by squirrels, and laying on the ground. Concerning strap ons, Cranford makes the best as there easy to use and are not very cumbersome. The major issue I have with all strap ons however (only 2 companies make them now) is that they limit the size of tree you can hunt as the ropes are only so long. One of the main features of an altered saddle is that their are no limits to the size of tree you can hunt, which not only opens up a lot more tree options, the larger trees offer more concealment cover.

In fact Cranford makes the very best screw in steps in every one of the following categories; single folds, T-steps, double folds, detachable steps, and conventional rod steps. They also make the best camera mounts (Midget T Trail mount and Second Ops), and the best gun and bow hangers.

Jimmy, If you don't already have the steps you need or aren't satisfied with what you purchased, I have a couple questions.

Do you exclusively hunt public land where you have no other option other than strap ons?
Are you exclusively a freelance hunter that preps the tree moments before you hunt it and removes the steps on the way down after the hunt?
Do you have the ability to prepare locations and leave your steps in the trees all season or beyond and if so how many locations would you be preparing?
Lastly, do you own your own property or hunt properties where you can use a cordless drill and spikes?

Sorry John if that wasnt meant to be funny, but it is. :D LOL

Sorry John if that wasnt meant to be funny, but it is. :D LOL

I am secretly looking forward to doing this to my future children-in-law. I've got at least 20 years to think of devious ways to annoy my future son/daughter in laws.

thank you in advance
10 steps should get you there.

I’ve tried the lone wolf sticks, muddy pro sticks, rope steps and climb paws and I only hunt Louisiana public. By far the absolute best I’ve found for quickness and being quiet are a set of 4 muddy pros with one additional rope step to each stick. This keeps me on the light, quick, and mobile side of things and allows me to get about 20-23 feet at my feet. This is the first year where my hunting out of my saddle compared to my summit is about 2:1. I feel very confident that I could out setup someone in a climber especially if they had a limb or two to cut.

Mr Eberhart thank you for the in depth reply. I have read both your books they are great.

I have bought 8 cranford folding steps. I also am using 4 muddy short sticks with a lone wolf assassin stand.

I primarily hunt public land that has a big cedar swamp.

I usually run and gun where I find a tree I like and I climb it. I have the ability to prep sites as I find them, but I'm still very new to hunting. This will be my 5th season coming up.

I have not bought a saddle as I was a bit weary as I'm afraid of heights, and I knew for certain that a stand would be comfortable for me at heights.

I was in Mexico and I rappled into a cave with a harness and felt very secure so I will be getting a harness this year I'm just trying to figure a platform.

This past season I used the cranford steps at the bottom of the tree using 4 steps.

The I used a step to rest the stand on as I secured the straps arousn the tree. And I used another as a support to gran while climbing into the stand.

I also have gotten an eberlstock tailhook pack that would be ideal for the harness. As it opens in the front and it can hold more rhen enough items for a hunt.

I was also looking at the new Stepp steps but they seem a bit cumbersome.

The only issue I had with the cranford was retrying to set one I to the tree with my left hand. Was a bit of a pain. I also had one rip out of the tree in my backyard while practicing setting up.

I'm really hoping to get my pack down to 15lb or so from the current 21lb for the stand and sticks and the 7-10 my pack is with the steps, water and other gear I carry in.

Thanks again for the reply and I apologize for the late response

God bless

Back