• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cranford Rope Steps and Aiders

BassBoysLLP

Vendor Rep
This video surfaced on Facebook over the weekend. It didn't show up on here so I figured I would post it here. 25' with 4 Cranford strap-ons and 4 CMI Etriers. Up and down in 11 minutes.

The climber could probably drop to a single multistep t-aider to further reduce bulk and eliminate 3 aiders. A method similar to how many of us climb with Wild Edge stepps. One could also combine some ideas from this climbing method.

Regardless, another great compact method for those who like climbing methods in small packages.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That’s definitely interesting. I don’t think he was 25’. He was claiming 6-7 feet per step with the step set below his chest. It’s still a good method. I would worry about small things like an etrier blowing off in the wind but that’s nothing the diy guys around here can’t solve.

I would guess him around 18’. It looks uncomfortable and awkward to me IMHO give me something to stand on while I attach my next climb aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even at 18 feet it still has a good feet to pound ratio. I’m thinking those that are going to use the ultralight sticks with multiple step aiders could do something like this with a 10 inch stick with a double bottom step but no top step.

Thanks BassBoysLLP for the videos. It's always good to see variations of climbing methods. Food for thought.

That’s cool to see, I’m w/ @BassBoysLLP if you had one aider to go up and down with. I wouldn’t want all those etriers blowing around..... good thinking though. Another drop in the think tank.

One aider would work attached to a tether like redsquirrel does. It would be tough to hook it on the step then climb onto the step and try to reach below you to try to slide it out from between the step and your foot.

A question for y’all that use four and five step aiders. How big of a pain is going around limbs with your linesmans rope with both feet in an aider?

One aider would work attached to a tether like redsquirrel does. It would be tough to hook it on the step then climb onto the step and try to reach below you to try to slide it out from between the step and your foot.

A question for y’all that use four and five step aiders. How big of a pain is going around limbs with your linesmans rope with both feet in an aider?
That is how I climb. Multistep aider attached to my tether. I can climb forty feet high with 6 wild edge stepps.

Limbs are tricky but not impossible. Just cinch yourself balls to bark and set your second lanyard.

That is how I climb. Multistep aider attached to my tether. I can climb forty feet high with 6 wild edge stepps.

Limbs are tricky but not impossible. Just cinch yourself balls to bark and set your second lanyard.

In practice, I carry less stepps and use the aider as needed. I use more stepps where it doesn't make sense (e.g. more branches, leaning trunk) and the aider when I need to stretch out to get height. You don't need to use all the steps in an aider. Just the ones to make the move.
40688981d081f54ee461527b85b90e6f.jpg

Ted Bright is who the video is made by. He’s a member on here but I’m not sure of his username. I’ve talked to him on Facebook several times and he’s a great dude with a creative mind.

Lots of great ideas pop up on here all the time. They’re not always for everyone but all the members seem to have an open and honest mind and want to add to the idea to try and help make it better. Pretty cool it’s that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In practice, I carry less stepps and use the aider as needed. I use more stepps where it doesn't make sense (e.g. more branches, leaning trunk) and the aider when I need to stretch out to get height. You don't need to use all the steps in an aider. Just the ones to make the move.
40688981d081f54ee461527b85b90e6f.jpg

BassBoys, could you describe your climb with the tethered aider and steps, or is there something to watch? I'm curious on where the tether is hooked in relation to the step, and how do you bring up the setup for the next step. Thanks
Chris

BassBoys, could you describe your climb with the tethered aider and steps, or is there something to watch? I'm curious on where the tether is hooked in relation to the step, and how do you bring up the setup for the next step. Thanks
Chris

The video is on my to do list.

The taider sits above the stepp about a foot. Adjust aider position to desired distance /stepp spacing with the ropeman. Any friction hitch would work here as well.

After everything is set, climb the aider and step onto the step. Cinch linemans belt and tie your next step. Reach down to just below knee level and grab the taider and position it above the step.

Or if you want to climb a different method for a while, take off the aider. Why? Maybe the tree is oddly shaped/leaning. Maybe you have a section of tree with a ton of branches and it makes more sense to climb without a linemans belt but tethered above while doing a solo belay. Or maybe climb like Cain through that section. Or keep the aider on and only use a single foot loop. Or use Peter's knaider.

I find 6 stepps in my pack is about perfect and gives me a ton of options. It packs up smaller than spurs and sticks. It also weighs about the same as a nice set of aluminum spurs or four ultra light 1.5 lb climbing sticks.

With six steps, I can climb up to 40 feet high taking full advantage of the aider.

If I use the full aider only for the first stepp, six stepps gets me to 26.5 feet. I can avoid the linemans belt dance with this approach.

Add additional aider help for everything between 26.5 feet and 40 feet. Use an aider where it makes sense.

Or just keep the aider at the bottom of your pack that day and get to up to 22.5 feet with six. Many of my sets are less than 20 feet in swamps and marshes.

Last edited:
I added another video to the OP. I don't know why it's only showing the link but there regardless.

The video is on my to do list.

The taider sits above the stepp about a foot. Adjust aider position to desired distance /stepp spacing with the ropeman. Any friction hitch would work here as well.

After everything is set, climb the aider and step onto the step. Cinch linemans belt and tie your next step. Reach down to just below knee level and grab the taider and position it above the step.

Or if you want to climb a different method for a while, take off the aider. Why? Maybe the tree is oddly shaped/leaning. Maybe you have a section of tree with a ton of branches and it makes more sense to climb without a linemans belt but tethered above while doing a solo belay. Or maybe climb like Cain through that section. Or keep the aider on and only use a single foot loop. Or use Peter's knaider.

I find 6 stepps in my pack is about perfect and gives me a ton of options. It packs up smaller than spurs and sticks. It also weighs about the same as a nice set of aluminum spurs or four ultra light 1.5 lb climbing sticks.

With six steps, I can climb up to 40 feet high taking full advantage of the aider.

If I use the full aider only for the first stepp, six stepps gets me to 26.5 feet. I can avoid the linemans belt dance with this approach.

Add additional aider help for everything between 26.5 feet and 40 feet. Use an aider where it makes sense.

Or just keep the aider at the bottom of your pack that day and get to up to 22.5 feet with six. Many of my sets are less than 20 feet in swamps and marshes.

@BassBoysLLP, @redsquirrel and anyone else who moves their tether up the tree a lot!...

I know we have discussed this on the forum before (sorry i can't find a resolution using search).... Girth hitching your tether to the tree can become a bit of a pain when you have to re-do it multiple times to get around branches, etc. I recall the conversation being that a screw link attached the loop on your tether is a good option. A screw-link would be preferred over a carabiner since you could potentially side-load a biner in this situation which is not safe. Did anyone find or mention any kind of "soft" screw-link that could be used to minimize potential clanking against the ropeman, biner or stepp? A soft shackle doesn't look it would be secure enough but I haven't used one before so maybe I'm wrong. Or do you guys just try to silence a metal screw-link with stealth strips, plastidip or something similar?

Thanks guys. Definitely want to try some sort of taider/redsquirrel aider hybrid mix this year!..

@BassBoysLLP, @redsquirrel and anyone else who moves their tether up the tree a lot!...

I know we have discussed this on the forum before (sorry i can't find a resolution using search).... Girth hitching your tether to the tree can become a bit of a pain when you have to re-do it multiple times to get around branches, etc. I recall the conversation being that a screw link attached the loop on your tether is a good option. A screw-link would be preferred over a carabiner since you could potentially side-load a biner in this situation which is not safe. Did anyone find or mention any kind of "soft" screw-link that could be used to minimize potential clanking against the ropeman, biner or stepp? A soft shackle doesn't look it would be secure enough but I haven't used one before so maybe I'm wrong. Or do you guys just try to silence a metal screw-link with stealth strips, plastidip or something similar?

Thanks guys. Definitely want to try some sort of taider/redsquirrel aider hybrid mix this year!..
If limbs are a problem, I would use a light delta screw link or utilize a short anchor. A loopie/whoopie sling works nice as a short anchor.

@BassBoysLLP what is a short anchor?
It would just be a short anchoring point.

If I were to ever utilize Amsteel for a tether I would consider using a whoopie. Adjust it to keep the length to a minimum for ease in working around branches. Lengthen as necessary at hunting height to get the desire draw.

Back