• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cranford steps with rope

Harleycharlie

Does anyone use the cranford steps with rope for a platform?? I have been hunting the best platform to use on public land . Of course as we all know on most public land you can't screw anything into the tree. Also we have the same rules on my hunting lease. I'm looking for light weight and easy to hang. Thought about the xop platforms , but I'm really hung up on being able to move 360 around the tree. So I guess the question is ,what platform do you use to move 360 around the tree without screwing anything into the tree?? Sorry if this question seems repetitive.....I have searched the forum but have not found any info on the cranfords steps with rope as a platform. Thanks for any responses!!!!!

Theoretically you could do it, but they would suck. I like them for climbing, but they'll move around a lot from side/downward pressure. You really need something you can ratchet/boat buckle to the tree.

I think there's a compromise there: 360 movement sounds great in theory but is difficult to pull off in practice.

A 270 degree shot arc around your tree is probably more realistic ie: 3 oclock to 12 oclock than 360.

The XOP looks great. I hesitated on pulling the trigger on Ernie's kit and the seat because my budget is tight right now. And I have a set of 4 ameristeps that i'd like to upgrade the strap and the boat buckle on. I know from experience though even with those guys ratcheted down to the max they can be slightly shifty. I'm going to save up a little bit and eventually drop coin on the XOP kit though.

Ernie's kit, has made it much better for my hunting. I tried all the different set ups, that I read about, ameristeps, stepp ladder, screw in cranfords , but since the platform, it's 100 0/0 better, for me.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Decided to buy the XOP seat while i had an extra $50 in my bank account.... :D

Ernie will be getting some business shortly as well.

The cranford rope steps are not great for a platform. Even if you put them on a single strap they tend to pivot around.

Most of us who are not using an xop platform are using either the plastic strap on ameristeps or other aluminum strap on steps. They pop up on here and ebay from time to time. I am fortunate that I can use screw in steps on most places I hunt and this is still my preferred method. If I can't or I am going mobile I use my strap on aluminum steps. I wouldn't say that I can shoot 360 degrees in every tree, but I certainly can in most trees. I also have a thread on some DIY steps I made out of a hawk helium stick. I never finished making the set so I didn't get to use them this year, but they showed a lot of promise.

Back