• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbows

Billfresh

I am very new to this saddle hunting. I've been hunting for almost 3 decades but this saddle hunting? Well let's just say I still have that new hunter smell.

I have not seen any posts from crossbow hunters. I have a Hoyt compound I enjoy hunting with but I also have a Ravin crossbow I love. I can see myself using both, depending on the situation and my mood. Is saddle hunting generally an issue for crossbow hunters?

Thanks for any feedback. I researched the snot out of it and finally just hit the buy button on a new Kestral and a set of Steppladder rungs. Waiting for them to arrive and this saddle chapter will begin. I won't lie....hanging from a "lifeline" kind of scares me but I think I just need to experience it and get over the concerns.

I hunt with a xbow, specifically an Excalibur Micro, and hunted out of a Kestrel this past year with no problems. There are several other members on here that also hunt with a xbow. You won't have any problems, and it won't take you long at all to get comfortable hanging from a rope. You will quickly realize how safe it is, and feels. This was my first year hunting from a saddle and I wish I would have made the switch earlier.

You just have to be careful of what those limbs are going to do when you take a shot. You're probably going to be closer to the tree in the Kestrel than whatever you were using before.

This last season was my first hunting from a saddle, I took one buck and passed a bunch of others. I use an Excalibur xbow. It's not a "micro" sized xbow and I'm seriously considering making that move.

I haven't had a problem shooting. i set up so my shots were on my left i shoot rightly the crossbow sticks out in front of the tree.

I haven't had a problem shooting. i set up so my shots were on my left i shoot rightly the crossbow sticks out in front of the tree.

I had to pass on a buck in one case because I could not get the limbs clear of the trunk. Deer came up on my right side (I shoot right-handed). The deer I did take came up on my left side and that was an easy shot.

I had to pass on a buck in one case because I could not get the limbs clear of the trunk. Deer came up on my right side (I shoot right-handed). The deer I did take came up on my left side and that was an easy shot.
I bet that shot would be easier with a platform?

If you have an older wider crossbow you will have more problems. I have an excalibur micro too. and it is fantastic.

No that should not be an issue. Did not know that. Thanks

That is incredibly narrow. Crazy amount of power and super expensive too. You should have no problem with that in a tree.

the ravin is only 6" wide when cocked and 8" uncocked so it shouldn't be an issue
With my wide excalibur... micro I just have to lean back in the saddle and make sure I have clearance so the limbs make no contact with the tree.
Or on a small tree I lean against the tree and keep the limbs of the bow in front of the tree.

Sorry I was not familiar with your bow. I have never heard about it. It certainly has stimulated my coveting but it is not in my budget.
You will have zero trouble with that bow.
When I started saddle hunting I had some issues with the size of the crossbow because I had an older excalibur but I have had minimal issues with the micro .

I am shooting an Excalibur Ibex....36 inches wide !! This is soon to be exchanged for an Excalibur Grizzly....30 inches wide. You will have zero problems with the Ravin. Be sure to practice shooting from the Kestrel before next season starts. Good luck hunting.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I am very new to this saddle hunting. I've been hunting for almost 3 decades but this saddle hunting? Well let's just say I still have that new hunter smell.

I have not seen any posts from crossbow hunters. I have a Hoyt compound I enjoy hunting with but I also have a Ravin crossbow I love. I can see myself using both, depending on the situation and my mood. Is saddle hunting generally an issue for crossbow hunters?

Thanks for any feedback. I researched the snot out of it and finally just hit the buy button on a new Kestral and a set of Steppladder rungs. Waiting for them to arrive and this saddle chapter will begin. I won't lie....hanging from a "lifeline" kind of scares me but I think I just need to experience it and get over the concerns.
I love hunting with my bow but I do use my Parker Thunder Hawk crossbow during late-season little less movement than the bow but I still like taking the bow in late season. Sometimes it's hard to pick one over the other. I am looking at getting a Excalibur Assasin or the micro 355 if I do that I'll be taking the crossbow alot more.

the ravin is only 6" wide when cocked and 8" uncocked so it shouldn't be an issue
I have shot the ravin and they are really nice the only reason I like Excalibur is because you can change the string on your own and don't need a press. I do like that the Ravens crossbows they comes in Predator camo they are small which is great for saddle hunting my Parker crossbow is is short axle to axle which makes it nice the hunt out of saddle with.

now just waiting for my Kestral to arrive. sigh....how can anything take 6 weeks to make in today's marketplace? are they selling that many they cannot keep up?

now just waiting for my Kestral to arrive. sigh....how can anything take 6 weeks to make in today's marketplace? are they selling that many they cannot keep up?
They were way behind in there orders. I imagine they are catching up.. that bow you have sounds incredible.

At least in the fall it was a matter of getting enough parts from their suppliers.

Those ravins are nice but out my budget with honey do list of repairs around the house this year. Hmmmm new family room set of furniture or a ravin.

I would rather Aero Hunter take their time building the saddle. Also, as busy as they were in the summer and fall they may taking some down time for themselves. I may wrong but I believe each saddle is individually stitched. Cannot blame them if they are taking some down time.

Back