• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dedicated platform vs on-stick platform

Mossy-Back

I'm looking at ways to simplify my setup and cut some weight.

For those that have used a on-stick platform like the EWO U.P. what are the pros and cons?

I'm not that worried about the actual size as much as the stability and side-pressure. Currently using a EDP platform for reference.

Following. Haven’t found one I liked personally… I think the attachment method needs to be very close to the platform end to be stable in this configuration

I have an angled UP on my 12" UOS as well as a EDP. So far I have not had an issue with the UP ever kicking out. Most of the time I use the UP 45-90 degrees towards my strong side. Occasionally, if I am going to have a short (<4 hr) hang and I have a pretty good idea of what direction the deer will come from I will just use the UP. I find that just having the UP limits how far I can comfortably shoot around the tree.

I've got a Rebel Fab 1-stick and an XOP platform. I assume you're a stick climber but are considering putting a 1-stick platform on your top stick, so as to carry one less thing.

The tradeoff is that the 1-stick top step is about 1/3-1/2 the size of a proper platform. Depending on make and model of course. I really don't notice the difference, but I don't try to stand on my top stick as much as I just lean against it. I also use both platforms so I can get some vertical spread between my feet. If you use a strap instead of a 1-stick rope, you could put an ROS on it so you get additional footing options.

I don't notice any stability or side pressure issues and haven't experienced kickouts or anything like that. But the Rebel Fab standoffs are super-duper aggressive; I'm not sure I'd get the same results with different standoffs.

I think others have done the same thing, with good effects. Look through the DIY section archive for some of the ancient wisdom on this topic.

I've got a Rebel Fab 1-stick and an XOP platform. I assume you're a stick climber but are considering putting a 1-stick platform on your top stick, so as to carry one less thing.

The tradeoff is that the 1-stick top step is about 1/3-1/2 the size of a proper platform. Depending on make and model of course. I really don't notice the difference, but I don't try to stand on my top stick as much as I just lean against it. I also use both platforms so I can get some vertical spread between my feet. If you use a strap instead of a 1-stick rope, you could put an ROS on it so you get additional footing options.

I don't notice any stability or side pressure issues and haven't experienced kickouts or anything like that. But the Rebel Fab standoffs are super-duper aggressive; I'm not sure I'd get the same results with different standoffs.

I think others have done the same thing, with good effects. Look through the DIY section archive for some of the ancient wisdom on this topic.

I'd be using it on my top Muddy Pro. I could add a ROS later if I feel I need it. Mainly looking to have less stuff to carry and set up.

I'm looking at ways to simplify my setup and cut some weight.

For those that have used a on-stick platform like the EWO U.P. what are the pros and cons?

I'm not that worried about the actual size as much as the stability and side-pressure. Currently using a EDP platform for reference.
The UP makes the stick much more ridgid and therefore much more stable on the tree. With that upper UP integrated standoff, once you set it, it won’t move. You can’t even run an ultralight lower standoff on the Ultimate One Sticks equipped with the UP because it locks in so tight people were bending the Ultra Light lower standoff. When you configure a stick with the UP on EWO it won’t let you select the Ultra Light lower standoff. Have to have the full lower standoff because with the UP there is no flex because of the upper integrated standoff, When I saw the design I had anticipated it being more solid on the tree and I certainly wasn’t disappointed!

My flat Scout on top of a Muddy Pro is every bit as stable as my other platforms.
It's my favorite too...

Screenshot_20220905-110217_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220905-105826_Gallery.jpg

If you do get a platform for your Muddy, DEFINITELY upgrade to EWO standoffs!

I used a trophyline wingman and it was excellent, it took side pressure fine. It hung with no issues. If there was any downfall it would be packability especially with 3 or 4 other sticks.

angled UP user here. Also used a ridge runner in the past. Pros are it’s already attached to the stick offering you an all in one package. It’s large enough for two feet but not so large so as to be obstructive or take up space. I’m 240ish loaded and have yet to have it kick out if set correctly and I often rotate 90 degrees to the side and stand on the side of the platform. It’s very stable and well built. Bites well and is quiet.
Cons are it’s not as big as a dedicated platform. If you like to stand up and turn around with your back to the tree it can be done but requires finesse and possibly acrobatics. When I ran sticks with a separate platform I often would place the platform off to the side of the top stick so I had more area to step on. Can’t do that with a platform mounted stick. Some guys will run a separate RoS as a compromise to give them more flexibility. So there’s some P/C.

angled UP user here. Also used a ridge runner in the past. Pros are it’s already attached to the stick offering you an all in one package. It’s large enough for two feet but not so large so as to be obstructive or take up space. I’m 240ish loaded and have yet to have it kick out if set correctly and I often rotate 90 degrees to the side and stand on the side of the platform. It’s very stable and well built. Bites well and is quiet.
Cons are it’s not as big as a dedicated platform. If you like to stand up and turn around with your back to the tree it can be done but requires finesse and possibly acrobatics. When I ran sticks with a separate platform I often would place the platform off to the side of the top stick so I had more area to step on. Can’t do that with a platform mounted stick. Some guys will run a separate RoS as a compromise to give them more flexibility. So there’s some P/C.

I'm only 170. Mostly lean and sit with knees against tree. I don't think I've ever tried to stand on the platform and turn around,so not an issue there. If I like it I'll get ROS for longer sits

I'm only 170. Mostly lean and sit with knees against tree. I don't think I've ever tried to stand on the platform and turn around,so not an issue there. If I like it I'll get ROS for longer sits
I think you’ll be fine. I spend most of my time leaning but sometimes sit. I wear size 13s and have plenty of room. I feel like it’s a good size compromise between a full size platform and a tiny one.

I think you’ll be fine. I spend most of my time leaning but sometimes sit. I wear size 13s and have plenty of room. I feel like it’s a good size compromise between a full size platform and a tiny one.

Cool. I wear a size 10.5 and the U. P. is the same width as my EDP just not as deep. Should work well.

I can’t speak for the u.p. But I’ll give ooal a plug here with their angled monarch. I will never use a dedicated platform again. I’ve logged well over 100 hours on that monarch in 2 seasons and my god was it a game changer for me

I started off this season (9/2) one sticking up with the EWO with the UP platform top: I used a mini seeker when I got to hunting height. One hunt I forgot my seeker and had to hunt off the UP. I don’t see me ever needing a separate platform after that hunt. No need in a separate platform unless it’s a daylight until dark hunt, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started off this season (9/2) one sticking up with the EWO with the UP platform top: I used a mini seeker when I got to hunting height. One hunt I forgot my seeker and had to hunt off the UP. I don’t see me ever needing a separate platform after that hunt. No need in a separate platform unless it’s a daylight until dark hunt, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've used my scout on my EWO one stick for many all-day hunts i can only imagine how much easier all days would be with the UP

Back