• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY bow/gear hanger

Chistavocat

I’ve had the moldable plastic to make this for well over a year now and finally got to it. I started off molding it by hand and about drove myself nuts re-heating and molding, re-heating and molding and finally decided to mold a rectangle block, let it cool and attack it with a variety of tools. The center pivot is a 1/2 diameter aluminum spacer I drilled and taped with a 1/4 20 bolt. I cut the head off of the bolt and covered the end with some stealth strips securing the tail with heat shrink to give it a little knob. The hole for the paracord is fairly tight to minimize movement. I haven’t tried it out yet but it feels fairly stout. The bolt adds the most weight as the plastic is fairly lite. I wanted to use a length of carbon arrow shaft but couldn’t come up with a good way to secure it to the spacer and wasn’t sure I could trust gluing it. Add a cam jam and a few prusik knots for accessories and pack and I’m all set.

917939ffd8db8638f1f5c18885b5d15e.jpg

6ad044a27718a849611bcc987c411c3f.jpg

aafcc3bdbbb98853f6c324372cdb3795.jpg

23aa56c3a9d5793ddc2820e94470cf77.jpg

0804324c1c535274e75519d271ce2e60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. I was looking at a camjam for the same thing. I went with the gear hanger line and I don't like how the nite ize hold the bow. Even with the gate removed I often need a second hand to get the bow off the hanger.

Nice! I've been using something I made out of instamorph with a screw in accessory hook for a few years now that works great. Yours is WAY nicer than mine though!

Nice! I've been using something I made out of instamorph with a screw in accessory hook for a few years now that works great. Yours is WAY nicer than mine though!

YOU gave me the idea @redsquirrel. When I first saw that post I bought some plastic. Has it been sitting around that long, haha! I’m sorta OCD so yes I have a few hours into it. Anything hunting related and DIY is always a fun project. Thanks for the idea!

YOU gave me the idea @redsquirrel. When I first saw that post I bought some plastic. Has it been sitting around that long, haha! I’m sorta OCD so yes I have a few hours into it. Anything hunting related and DIY is always a fun project. Thanks for the idea!

Haha! Nice! I actually have to make a new one. My new bow has split limbs and it's a little too big for the accessory hook. I was going to use one of the hawk hooks but maybe I'll try to give this a go.

Nice. G2 also has a pretty good public land bow and gear holder. Check it out on G2 outdoors

Nice work! Adding this to my project list. Have you hung much from it yet?

Nice work! Adding this to my project list. Have you hung much from it yet?

No I haven’t hung anything from it other than gripping and ripping to see just how strong it is and how much flex occurs. There was a little flex but I was cranking on it pretty good. How good? I wasn’t trying to break it but wanted to make sure I could trust it. I don’t believe I will have any problems. If the rain will ever stop I’m hoping to get a hunt in tonite and will report back.

Haha! Nice! I actually have to make a new one. My new bow has split limbs and it's a little too big for the accessory hook. I was going to use one of the hawk hooks but maybe I'll try to give this a go.

I shoot a bowtech and hang it from those big overdrive binary cams. The little knob on the hanger will hold it on just fine.

I’ve had the moldable plastic to make this for well over a year now and finally got to it. I started off molding it by hand and about drove myself nuts re-heating and molding, re-heating and molding and finally decided to mold a rectangle block, let it cool and attack it with a variety of tools. The center pivot is a 1/2 diameter aluminum spacer I drilled and taped with a 1/4 20 bolt. I cut the head off of the bolt and covered the end with some stealth strips securing the tail with heat shrink to give it a little knob. The hole for the paracord is fairly tight to minimize movement. I haven’t tried it out yet but it feels fairly stout. The bolt adds the most weight as the plastic is fairly lite. I wanted to use a length of carbon arrow shaft but couldn’t come up with a good way to secure it to the spacer and wasn’t sure I could trust gluing it. Add a cam jam and a few prusik knots for accessories and pack and I’m all set.

917939ffd8db8638f1f5c18885b5d15e.jpg

6ad044a27718a849611bcc987c411c3f.jpg

aafcc3bdbbb98853f6c324372cdb3795.jpg

23aa56c3a9d5793ddc2820e94470cf77.jpg

0804324c1c535274e75519d271ce2e60.jpg

Were did you get the cam jam ?

Were did you get the cam jam ?

Amazon. This aluminum one (cam jam XT) is rated for 280lbs. They also make a plastic one which off the top of my head can’t remember the load rating. Nite Ize makes different sizes and load rated cam jams. I’ve also found them at Walmart and other retailers.

That's really cool. I love that moldeable plastic. I use instamorph from Amazon, but it's the same stuff. I like your take on the hook too. I might monkey around with this idea.

I did something similar with a peace of paracord. Just plan to look it through itself instead of using a buckle or clip. I just tied attachment loops every 3 or 4 inches. Where I can attach hooks like Greg did in his video I saw a while back.

I had a buddy serendipitously gift me a camjam last week. After reviewing my bolt climb video and noticing I spent what I felt was too much time setting my gear strap, I cooked this up.

Not as high speed as op, but I like it. Weighs nothing, super strong, and teeny-tiny. I'll be clipping my Badlands pack straight to the Paracord with a neutrino.
02ec59e49232647131f2a44543fe0c81.jpg
71f7f174a6fa13332dcb47f91ab12d09.jpg
615717c396474d363d84f528b8d166a1.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back