• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY bow vise and bow press?!

dramsey25

SH Member
Has anyone gone down the DIY bow press or bow vise route? I started looking on the internet for some things, and think I found a good enough video on a bow press to get me started, but haven’t had as great of luck with a bow vise. Anybody have anything of their own they would like to share?

The DIY bow vise is easy....just get a bicycle repair vise from Amazon.

I would avoid the DIY bow press unless you have some fabrication and welding skills.

I followed the famous pipe clamp bow press build from archerytalk to a T.....and once under pressure the clamp got on a bind (due to pressure being too far from the pipe) and I could not unscrew and free bow....I barely got the bow out without damaging it

The "fixes" to this create a Rube Goldberg situation. The only presses I've seen that I'd trust are the ones that use a truck jack and basically replicate something like a LCA EZ Green press. If you can weld well enough to make one of those, then that'd be awesome. Otherwise, I'd save to buy a used press.

I have a portable Bowmaster press, and don't recommend it. This press gets much better reviews, but I haven't used it.

Last edited:
I ended up going with something like this. Can't find the exact model. Seems to work well. Screenshot_20230227-090415_Gallery.jpg

ROCKBROS Bike Repair Stand Bench Mount Home Bike Stand for Maintenance Bike Clamp Workbench Work Stands Bicycle Repair Rack for Road Mountain MTB Bikes https://a.co/d/iPuKMZJ

I have something like this

i have it attached to my bench via several clamps because i didn't want to permanently mount it (because i don't use it much and don't have a lot of space)

you can clamp it right to the bow's grip, but i prefer to screw a cheap, large diameter stabilizer into the stab bushing and then clamp onto it....this makes is easier to adjust in one axis because you can loosen and rotate that stab

I'll agree with what @raisins says on a bow vice. I built mine and by the time I was done I wished I had just purchased one.

i just re-read and edited my post....i got "vise" and "press" mixed up through out due to not being careful

Last edited:
I have a portable Bowmaster press, and don't recommend it. This press gets much better reviews, but I haven't used it.

If you don’t mind me asking here, what is it that you don’t like about the portable press and is the problem specific to a bow or is it a general design issue?

If you don’t mind me asking here, what is it that you don’t like about the portable press and is the problem specific to a bow or is it a general design issue?

I've only used the Bowmaster.

It just gives sketchy vibes, especially if you are taking the string off. And it would be difficult or impossible to fully relax the bow down (to shim the cams or something).

With the Bowmaster, it takes too long to screw the thing tight/relaxed, the bow limb hookup is weird and comes disengaged, and the screw can rub your string and fray it if you aren't careful. You need special adapter for some bows/some bows are impossible to press. And bow makers even put out lists of what presses to use on bows and the Bowmaster is never on it.

Taking 5 minutes to press/relax your bow means that you are less likely to fine tune and more likely to call it "close enough" because it will take you all day to press the bow 20 times.

It's just a piece of junk compared to a table top press. I haven't used the Synunm press I linked but it gets much better reviews than the Bowmaster.

The DIY bow vise is easy....just get a bicycle repair vise from Amazon.

I would avoid the DIY bow press unless you have some fabrication and welding skills.

I followed the famous pipe clamp bow press build from archerytalk to a T.....and once under pressure the clamp got on a bind (due to pressure being too far from the pipe) and I could not unscrew and free bow....I barely got the bow out without damaging it

The "fixes" to this create a Rube Goldberg situation. The only presses I've seen that I'd trust are the ones that use a truck jack and basically replicate something like a LCA EZ Green press. If you can weld well enough to make one of those, then that'd be awesome. Otherwise, I'd save to buy a used press.

Now we need to figure out how to diy this.... Looks like nothing much to it. Can u show a close up of the limb fingers?

I'm going to try this. Just picked up a jack yesterday from HBF.

this works on the same principle as the LCA and would probably work, but pay attention to your finger angle because there's a reason they are adjustable on the LCA presses (if they aren't adjusted right for your bow then the press squeezes the bow out of the press)

if you can, i'd think about making adjustable fingers....you might replicate how LCA does that

Now we need to figure out how to diy this.... Looks like nothing much to it. Can u show a close up of the limb fingers?

DIY the press and the limb fingers on it?

My press is in the back of a packed storage shed right now.

This article shows some decent pics.

There's a hole in the fingers that they rotate around with a rod mounted on the press being the axle. The angle is adjusted by the black thumb screws on the base of each finger.

DIY the press and the limb fingers on it?

My press is in the back of a packed storage shed right now.

This article shows some decent pics.

There's a hole in the fingers that they rotate around with a rod mounted on the press being the axle. The angle is adjusted by the black thumb screws on the base of each finger.
I guess I misunderstood or didn't read enough...I thought u had the 1 u linked too that's just squeaky ropes and pulleys

Contact Bill Lawson his inline presses are awesome. Pac-Press pm me if interested. I have no affiliation.

I guess I misunderstood or didn't read enough...I thought u had the 1 u linked too that's just squeaky ropes and pulleys

No, I have a Bowmaster (I never use.....i guess i'm keeping it in case i go on a bow trip out of state or something...more like i'm a pack rat) and a LCA EZ Green that I like.

I have a vise like one I linked but it is orange and not available anymore from same company.

I have the Synum portable press as my home "press" and for my purposes of pressing one bow and changing strings, cam syncting, rest timing, silencers etc it has been phenomenal. It is approved by my manufacturer for pressing my bow and is a LOT less sketchy than the bowmaster. Would love to get an EZ green some day but for now it is sufficient.

I would like to hear more about how @raisins uses a stablilzer to hold the bow in his bike clamp. I also have amazon bike service clamp as my vice and I can't picture what you are describing but I am intrigued

I have the Synum portable press as my home "press" and for my purposes of pressing one bow and changing strings, cam syncting, rest timing, silencers etc it has been phenomenal. It is approved by my manufacturer for pressing my bow and is a LOT less sketchy than the bowmaster. Would love to get an EZ green some day but for now it is sufficient.

I would like to hear more about how @raisins uses a stablilzer to hold the bow in his bike clamp. I also have amazon bike service clamp as my vice and I can't picture what you are describing but I am intrigued
Can u post pics of the limb fingers

As someone who just purchased both: OMP vise and EZ Green, it seems to me to be a buy once cry once situation. Yes I dropped some coin, but these will last me decades. And are a pleasure to use.

If we love tinkering, why frustrate the process?

Back