• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY gear strap

mschultz373

SH Member
anyone make their own strap to hang gear/pack/bow/gun on while saddle hunting? Seems like it would be simple, though maybe not more cost effective than buying one.

I did for last year using things I had laying around (extra nylon strap, couple heavy duty S clips, non-climbing rates carabiners) because it was my first year and I felt like I was racking up costs. It worked but I did occasionally worry it would give out in some way and my bow and pack would be in 17 pieces on the ground below me. Just picked one of these up for this season, it’s not that expensive that I felt like skimping again this year.

See post #6.

8' of paracord.
Knockoff Camjam from Menards, HF, Walmart, etc.
3 10" lengths of paracord, tied into loops.
3 keychain carabiners. I use the plastic ones from Menards
1 large "cable cuff"

Disassemble the cable cuff so you're left with the hook. Thread the 8' of paracord through it, and then through the Camjam. Tie a stopper knot in one end of the 8' paracord, and a large loop in the other - bowline, figure-8, flat overhand, whatever, so long as it doesn't move. Attach the 3 10" loops to the main line via Prussics, and clip the keychain carabiners to them. You've got a big hook for bow/rifle/etc, and clips for your pack, quiver, call, kneepad, etc. Shamelessly plagiarized from https://saddlehunter.com/community/...tuff-that-gets-the-job-done.27307/post-403960 (thanks @boyne bowhunter !) even if I switched his carabiner attachment to my camjam. And, yes, 8' is way more paracord than I'll ever need, but it's easier to cut cord off than on, and I've got 8' of paracord should I need to repurpose it for whatever reason.

Cheaper solution at https://saddlehunter.com/community/...tuff-that-gets-the-job-done.27307/post-400166

Amsteel gear loop

Attachments

• IMG_7431.jpeg
    IMG_7431.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7432.jpeg
    IMG_7432.jpeg
    698.6 KB · Views: 68
Through the years I've sewn several straps, mostly from old tie down straps. It was a real pain sewing them, they were always bulky, and they never worked out as well as I hoped.

Last summer I made a dynaGLIDE daisy chain and it's as close to perfect as I expect to get.

The green cord cinches tightly around the tree; the orange stays slack enough to clip my gear to. And very little bulk.

bc63736d612dca58a98a004c9c8b1c8b.jpg
c3216f5cefeb53b2f054f14eacd667fa.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I have made a couple of them out of Paracord. Fairly simple and work reasonably well. Where legal I just use a couple of small screw in hooks. The tips dull over time and occasionally get dropped from the tree but I prefer them to a cord or strap/webbing for holding gear in the tree.

Diy weapon arm, 1" webbing tie down/lashing strap, 6" loop of 550cord, walking dead carabineer outta the junk drawer. The strap is mil surplus with a plastic buckle, nothing special. It was thrown together with stuff I already had laying around.

I used to have a strap I sewed with the loops all around it but I found myself rarely ever using the loops. After.bot using the loops for long enough I did away with that 1.

I like to keep the quiver on my bow so my weapon arm allows for that....something the hero or cable cuff type doesn't really allow u to do that without added complications.

Gear strap is the first thing I attach to the tree once I step onto my platform (linesman and tether are attached before stepping on).....I keep it in a pouch on the front of my vest, easy access. Undo the buckle, pass around the tree, situate weapon arm to the right position, tighten almost all the way and verify weapon arm is good position and move the girth hitched loop of 550cord to where I want my vest to hang, then tighten the strap the remaining. My vest is in a position that I can easily reach while seated in the saddle and I have my vest set up to were the things I need to use are in the pouches on the side of the vest, and the pouch in the right position on the vest, that all the things I use regularly while I'm up elevated in the tree are right there easily access.

I see gear hangers peeps use on this forum that they girth hitch like we do our tethers and hang the pack on the end to cinch it up.....just remember if u go that style that if u unload the pack u got high potential of ur weapon falling

I DIY'ed this setup. It's a length of 1/8 amsteel, a small quick link, a few flag/banner clips, 3 d-loop material prussics, and an s-hook that I closed an eye on one side. The aluminum bow hook I designed and made. You can use a hero clip or any other bow hook out there. The system generates 2 times the tension on the gear strap. It's solid (and cheap). The bottom prussic is where I hang my pack.
341c3f2c484308c30c41279ac699207d.jpg
21ea0922a372f64f8011671cc72781f7.jpg
37d70952c92db36da1ec6957bb179fb5.jpg

Last edited:
I DIY'ed this setup. It's a length of 1/8 amsteel, a small quick link, a few flag/banner clips, 3 d-loop material prussics, and an s-hook that I closed an eye on one side. The aluminum bow hook I designed and made. You can use a hero clip or any other bow hook out there. The system generates 2 times the tension on the gear strap. It's solid (and cheap). The bottom prussic is where I hang my pack.
Could you do a locked eye on the end of the rope and lose the quick link and an alpine butterfly and lose the "S"? That would eliminate the metal other than the bow hook and small amount of weight.

What is the purpose of the flared out bit/2 prongs at the end opposite the tree of ur bow arm?

Could you do a locked eye on the end of the rope and lose the quick link and an alpine butterfly and lose the "S"? That would eliminate the metal other than the bow hook and small amount of weight.
I'll look at those suggestions again. Based on how I have it set up, the opening in the quick link is necessary for me to hook the outboard prussic in. I felt like the s hook/prussic combo was easier than trying to get an alpine butterfly knot tied in the right location. That may simply be my inexperience with it.

That was just to be able to contain the rope when I wrap it up, like a cord caddy.
3e9c61063be02f699d2502df0bfa9255.jpg
Nice....I use something very similar as a bow arm and that would be a welcome addition if I make another 1.....duh,why didn't I think of that....hahah

I use 1" strap and wrap it around the outside but in a way that isn't as neat and compact as u. I just gotta measure the slot in the wheel of the bow and see how wide I can make it or ditch the 1"wide strap for something else.

Here is some pics. I don't use that sewn strap anymore...just a single strap and the arm. I never used the slots so swapped for non slotted strap....... https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/light-weight-bow-hanger-diy.28694/post-411558

Last edited:
Back