• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Milkweed Holder?

TonyMessina

Any ideas? I'm not on the whole milkweed craze, but I do have some thanks to a good friend. How are ya'll storing it while hunting? Thanks in advance.

i drilled a small hole in the lid, tied a knot in one end of a string and pushed the other end through the lid from the inside. the knot stops the lid from pulling off. then i tied around the bottle and taped it down.

How do ya rig up a pill bottle? This is a good idea. Virginia opener is tomorrow morning and was just looking for some around the house stuff I may have to rig something up. Thanks again.
Off topic, but good luck tomorrow Tony! I can't get out until Sunday.

I got 10 film containers from eBay for $3. 1/8 inch hole in the lid and taped a piece of string on it so I could hang it from a carabiner. Much more fits than you realize too. I’m liberal with it and those several bottles is gonna last me a few years... works for the rabbit fur too @Red Beard
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use one of these and it works great

Just make sure you really clean it well bc of the smell of gum lol and of course dry it well so your milkweed doesn’t get wet.37BDFCB9-8330-4AE1-B1D6-84CEB23FEF4E.png

I have found that the closer I can keep the fluff to the way it comes out of the pod the better it floats. With that in mind I have started picking the pods just before the open up. Then put a small rubber band around the whole pod. Then just take the whole pod with you. Just pull a few out as needed. Works pretty well for me.

Here is what I have with me this morning.
590f67ad652a34bd67b35389db9a5541.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rubber waterproof boat registration keychain float. Works perfect and is dead quiet. I put it on a lanyard and it’s the ticket. I think they are around $3 at Cabelas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bfed78bcb3d838e1b13b7d2c34c807f2.jpg

For on the go I really like the wind indicator despesor from ozonics (I think it is actually made by someone else) I remove the cotton they provide and fill with milkweed. I tie it to my bino chest harness so I never lose it and have one hand use. Works good!

Last edited:
Cheap Walmart vitamin bottle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191005-094236.png
    Screenshot_20191005-094236.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_20191005-094231.png
    Screenshot_20191005-094231.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
The idea of keeping the fluff in the pod is spot on. It keeps them in pristine floating condition as the good lord designed. I open them up along the natural seam and with the tip of my knife I carefully remove most of the seeds without disturbing the natural layout of the fluff. I then close the pod back up and either staple the seem closed or wrap the pod loosely with a rubber band. Then I make a small sleeve out of duct tape. All you have to do is open the top of the sleeve and pull some out and the sleeve protects everything from the wear and tear of being in my pocket. Because the fluff sticks to my gloves, and I like to pull them out one at a time, I use tweezers to deploy them. I'll post a pic soon. It works like a charm.

Dont want to sound stupid but are Y'all drying them out? If so please share...
Thanks

Dont want to sound stupid but are Y'all drying them out? If so please share...
Thanks
If you collect them this time of year when the pods are starting to bust open, there is no need to dry them—they’re ready to go.

I have the cheap dump pouches from Amazon. I shove a bunch in one of the small mesh pockets.

Back