• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY platform

NCFarmweld

Hey guys I’m new to this saddle hunting and like most of you I’ve been waiting for my saddle to be shipped so I can get use to it! But in the mean time I’ve been working on a new saddle hunting project! I’ve been looking at all these platforms that have been made and they all have the same things going for them! Movable parts! I’m def no expert on this but I’ve spent a lot of my life in tree stands and it never fails the movable parts always get the squeaks! Now the challenge for me was designing something small, lightweight, and easy to use! So for my first prototype this is what I’ve came up with! I promise as a master tinkerer there will be plenty more versions of my platform style and other accessories for you guys and gals to build ideas off of! So tell me what you think through out my posts! This platform is all aluminum construction and weights around 2.7 lbs.
1e1df2446d2927ea913907fbe4493bb4.jpg
36f68443b7d2b8a3f3b2cadffb224f4c.jpg
The only thing left to do is give it a good hot coat of sound deadening/ protective spray on bed liner! And I will post more pics after that has been completed! Thanks and tell me what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that looks great! What’s gonna be your method of attaching it to the tree? Ratchet strap? Ocb strap?

I was thinking ratchet strap for starters and maybe down the road come up with something a little more stealthy

Looks good. Would be great to see it tested out. It almost looks like you could fasten it to the tree close to vertical then cam it down but that might stress those top teeth too much.

Looks good, very clean build and the weight is par with the current manufactured products of these dimensions but without the moveable parts. Lets see what you decide on for the attachment to tree.

Looks nice! It looks pretty big, what are the dimensions of the platform?

Looks pretty cool

I’d say it meets Master Tinkerer criteria

Great job

What is the overall height compared to the overall distance of the platform out from the tree? That would be my only concern at this point, making sure the weight distribution and geometry work.

The aluminum square tubing reminds me of my old API climbing stands. I wonder if there is a safe and practical way to incorporate a coated chain or cable with pin through tubing as a method of attachment. It would be quieter than a ratchet and be self contained. The chain/cable may limit tree diameter possibilities some but just an idea.

Back