• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Platforms: Updated

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
I was planning on buying the new LWCG platform when it came out but I built this little guy and have come to love it. Im gonna add paint and some end caps soon so its not finished yet but Ive had it on a few trees in the backyard and i like it enough that I cant justify buying one. I wanna see what you all have made. Post your pics.
2019-01-15_21.03.02.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-01-15_21.25.22.jpg
    2019-01-15_21.25.22.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 153
  • 2019-01-15_21.26.15.jpg
    2019-01-15_21.26.15.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 154

Tapeworm

SH Member
Feb 19, 2018
I like it

Been thinking about cutting down a stand to make a larger platform big brother to my Predator

Although that Ambush by andrae looks good & I’m still hoping Tethrd will come out with a Predator XL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DanielB89

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
what is that platform from?
Looks like the back section cut out of a LW alpha?
It's a platform from a sit and climb that I cut down to 14x14. It's the same thing as @Adrena123 has in the pic all the way to the left except I cut the outside edges off too. 14x14 is the perfect size platform for me. If you can get ahold of a dirt cheap sit and climb platform I'd recommend it. All the weird shapes in the design give you a lot of options on where to cut it and shape it.

Reactions: Adrena123

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
Also I described it in another thread already but what I like about it is the ability to cam over with the tree teeth. That along with the hawk helium tree bracket up top this thing grabs super hard. I stood beside it and kicked it a few times and I could get it to move even with just a whoopie sling on it. If you don't wanna buy one or if you just like making your own stuff I'd recommend the sit and climb platform or something similar with the platform tree teeth

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
I
I like it

Been thinking about cutting down a stand to make a larger platform big brother to my Predator

Although that Ambush by andrae looks good & I’m still hoping Tethrd will come out with a Predator XL

Was going to buy the LWCG platform until I made this. I just can't imagine theirs being much better than what I have here as far as functionality and I only have around 40 bucks invested in mine. I got the platform from a friend for almost nothing and I had a lot of 6061 laying around in the garage. My platform weight comes out to 3lbs 6oz and fits in a backpack. Just can't justify buying one that'll do the same thing.

Reactions: heartdart

Islandshooter

SH Member
Nov 19, 2018
Flagler Beach, FL
fe165c79d239840d8f3437d035b4cca8.jpg
this is what I put together I seen someone post one like it before. I’m probably gonna get some lone Wolf v brackets to put on it. I got 13 washers at the connection point to stop any loud noises can’t wait to have it a try

Check this thread (or search the site) for NOT USING the v brackets on a platform as they won't stand up to the side pressure. The LW batwing should be ok, or the xop bracket, or maybe the new one that squirrels (on here) is coming out with. Good looking platform though!!

Bowhunter05

SH Member
Aug 22, 2018
Dover Delaware
YOUTUBE
CliffVids
Check this thread (or search the site) for NOT USING the v brackets on a platform as they won't stand up to the side pressure. The LW batwing should be ok, or the xop bracket, or maybe the new one that squirrels (on here) is coming out with. Good looking platform though!!

Yeah I’m gonna go with the get the batwing bracket

SloMo

Dec 2, 2018
Wilmington Ma (Z10)
My builds are a little different with each platform style. I was using Muddy standoffs then I found out the cleats or standoffs on the bigger stands are
a little too big and with all the leverage from side pressure platforms were moving around too much. When I went to the 1.25 and 1.5 DIY cleats and made them myself , I found that stability increased quite a bit. That kind of negated the leverage thing . These stands are the most stable you will find and it is all about the cleats.

Reactions: Murph4028

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
My builds are a little different with each platform style. I was using Muddy standoffs then I found out the cleats or standoffs on the bigger stands are
a little too big and with all the leverage from side pressure platforms were moving around too much. When I went to the 1.25 and 1.5 DIY cleats and made them myself , I found that stability increased quite a bit. That kind of negated the leverage thing . These stands are the most stable you will find and it is all about the cleats.
Im thinking about designing a tree bracket for the top of the post as well. I tend to like my gear more when I build it myself instead of buying a mainstream product for some reason. I saw the thread about regular tree brackets breaking but the hawk heliums are pretty stout and it seems like itll hold just fine. Its held up to irregular uses in the backyard like me jumping up and down on it at ground level and shoving off the side super hard trying to move or break something. So if I do design a tree bracket it would be just for fun. I do have a question for all the predator and other platform guys. On your platforms is there a very small amount of flex in the platform when standing on it? It doesnt feel like its going to break or anything but it does move some. Dont know if thats normal or not but thought Id ask. Also, for the guys who have platforms made from lone wolf elite seats, do you have flexing or bending problems out of those?

MFD205

Dec 6, 2017
McComb, MS
Gen 1 Predator has some flex, but it's nothing to worry about. Mine was one of the first shipped out and I love it.

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
So the lone wolf platform is pretty much finished now. Here what I did:

- Reinforced post with 6061 Aluminum block
- Fabricated a stop block to replace the bolt. Just didn't trust the bolt on the small surface area to not slip
- Sprayed down with bed liner and painted over with camo
- Fabricated a new post. Shortened to 9 inches, used a smaller versa button, drilled and countersunk holes.
- Wrapped the front with 550 cord
- Stealth stripped contact points

Overall Im pretty happy with it. Very stable and strong. Weighs in at 3lbs 11 oz even with all the reinforcement. Should last a very long time.

Attachments

• Platform Stop block.jpg
    Platform Stop block.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 174
  • LW platform folded.jpg
    LW platform folded.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 175
  • LW platform stop block.jpg
    LW platform stop block.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 182
  • LW platform left side cropped.jpg
    LW platform left side cropped.jpg
    741.8 KB · Views: 184

Islandshooter

SH Member
Nov 19, 2018
Flagler Beach, FL
So the lone wolf platform is pretty much finished now. Here what I did:

- Reinforced post with 6061 Aluminum block
- Fabricated a stop block to replace the bolt. Just didn't trust the bolt on the small surface area to not slip
- Sprayed down with bed liner and painted over with camo
- Fabricated a new post. Shortened to 9 inches, used a smaller versa button, drilled and countersunk holes.
- Wrapped the front with 550 cord
- Stealth stripped contact points

Overall Im pretty happy with it. Very stable and strong. Weighs in at 3lbs 11 oz even with all the reinforcement. Should last a very long time.
That thing looks sweet!! And built like a tank!! Great job on that. Nice paint also

Reactions: SloMo

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Oct 25, 2015
Minneapolis MN
I love seeing the DIY platforms. You can make some really nice ones out of lone wolf parts. The bases of most LW stands (if you are willing to cut them up) make great platforms

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SloMo and Murph4028

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
I love seeing the DIY platforms. You can make some really nice ones out of lone wolf parts. The bases of most LW stands (if you are willing to cut them up) make great platforms

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I agree. You can shape them in a lot of different ways.