• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY rigid seat for TL saddle?

cobra_archer

I've been using the TL saddle (since 2007) and no matter what I do (rope hook up, strap height...) after about 2 hours in the saddle I feel EXTREME discomfort in my hips due to the pressure. I was thinking of making a rigid seat to place in the saddle, slightly wider than my hips, once at hunting height. Has any one done this? My major concern is the saddle wearing a hole due to friction from the rigid seat. Any pics welcome.

Thank you,

eBay/craigslist the trophy line saddle and put it towards a new tribe evolution... :D

I hunted almost exclusively out of a trophyline saddle this season and would encounter the same issue. I would have to start shifting the saddle so it would sit lower or, sometimes, higher in my waist to alleviate the discomfort. I never was able to trouble shoot this.

I suppose if your looking for a "seat" for your saddle you could also look into the guidos web, which I've heard many good things about.

I honestly thing the trophyline saddle was a great place to start my saddle hunting. But I think there are much better products in the market currently. Your trophyline saddle should fetch a handsome price sold online... Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobra_archer said:
I've been using the TL saddle (since 2007) and no matter what I do (rope hook up, strap height...) after about 2 hours in the saddle I feel EXTREME discomfort in my hips due to the pressure. I was thinking of making a rigid seat to place in the saddle, slightly wider than my hips, once at hunting height. Has any one done this? My major concern is the saddle wearing a hole due to friction from the rigid seat. Any pics welcome.

Thank you,

CA,

I looked for a TS for a long time because I wanted to start saddle hunting but was told by experienced saddle hunters JE & BB that fit was very important and that going a size smaller was a better option than going a size larger with the TS. I was never able to find a TS in the proper size, I was always out bid on ebay, and eventually I almost gave up on saddle until the AH came on the scene. It seems both the TS & AH sometimes take a lot of tweaking to find the sweet spot and the most comfort but I'm not sure if the TS has as much adjustablility as the AH does but perhaps before you add the seat you can get some feedback from experience TS saddle users. I don't know but it may reduce the funcitionality or safety of the saddle by putting the hard seat into the saddle and a little more research you might find someone who's already tried it. Otherwise I think d_rek's advice is sound because at least with the Aero Hunter you have a lot of adjustability, feed back from this site, and also from New Tribe I'm sure you can find the fit and comfort you need. Best of luck.

Roger

If you are having problems with comfort and you can swing it, I second the recommendations for the aero hunter. It is a great product and has completely solved any comfort issues I ever had.

I would not recommend putting a rigid seat in there, I think it would do a number on the saddle and wear a hole like you said.

RS in your experience does the Trophyline have the adjustability of the Aero Hunter? It seems a lot of people mention that they are almost overwhelmed over the amount of adjustments the Aero Hunter offers and I believe some of them are converting from the Trophyline tree saddle. I was also a little concerned that adding the rigid seat would be a safety issue but since I'm not that familiar with the Trophyline I wasn't 100% sure that was true. I know others have modifed their saddles but I'm still not comfortable doing anything like that yet because I'm still realitively new to saddle hunting.

Roger

I have not tried this, yet, but how about a rigid seat on the outside of the saddle? I would try hanging it from the exterior webbing loops with adjustment buckles on the "sides"by your hips to change the attitude/angle of the seat. I once made a solid seat out of 1/4" plywood covered in canvas with foam sandwiched between the ply and canvas that I sat on. A piece of canvas alone (an extension of the original canvas) which wrapped around a belt that secured around my waist. It was very similar to a"treesuit" if you're familiar with that product. It propped directly against the tree to provide some offset from the tree without the fork the Guido's Web uses. The bridge set up was a bit goofy and I stopped practicing with it, but I think in the off season I'm going to revisit the set up and perhaps hang it from the saddle on the outside and see if I can't make something work.

Stykbow1 said:
RS in your experience does the Trophyline have the adjustability of the Aero Hunter? It seems a lot of people mention that they are almost overwhelmed over the amount of adjustments the Aero Hunter offers and I believe some of them are converting from the Trophyline tree saddle. I was also a little concerned that adding the rigid seat would be a safety issue but since I'm not that familiar with the Trophyline I wasn't 100% sure that was true. I know others have modifed their saddles but I'm still not comfortable doing anything like that yet because I'm still realitively new to saddle hunting.

Roger

Roger-- No, the tree saddle had no adjustability. That was why it was so important to find the right size for you!

I would not worry too much about modifying your saddle right now. Just get comfortable with saddle hunting. I have not even really modified my aero hunter saddle itself too much. The only thing I did to it was make the bridge a fixed length. Other than that I just swapped out the linemans belt and tree strap.

cobra_archer said:

Thank you,
i actually did this a couple seasons ago after sitting in a friends guidos web. it was a huge comfort advantage from his setup to mine and i was convinced it was due to the seat. I was also experiencing discomfort in my hips after a couple hours and with our style of bow hunting from sun up to sun down a couple miles in, i needed something to allow me to sit all day. i took an inflatable seat cushion (yes the ones you buy at walmart with the valve on it to adjust firmness) cut it open along the top and pulled guts out. then took a piece of 1/4'' micarda board (electrical insulating board) and cut corners so nothing was sharp, wrapped edges with tape to make smooth, attached a 1" piece of duct work insulation (same size)and inserted it inside of empty seat sleeve (so obviously the size was just amall enough to fit inside) this was just wider than my hips and removed all pressure from my sides. I am 5' 10" 165 lbs an dthis was a perfect fit. i was never able to figure out a great way to attach this to saddle but just packed it in backpack and inserted it once i was set. This was THE GAME CHANGER FOR ME! ill see if i can round up some pics and post them or if you want shoot me a text/call if this doesnt make sense. 734-845-0981 good luck -Corey-

mathews397 said:
cobra_archer said:

Thank you,
i actually did this a couple seasons ago after sitting in a friends guidos web. it was a huge comfort advantage from his setup to mine and i was convinced it was due to the seat. I was also experiencing discomfort in my hips after a couple hours and with our style of bow hunting from sun up to sun down a couple miles in, i needed something to allow me to sit all day. i took an inflatable seat cushion (yes the ones you buy at walmart with the valve on it to adjust firmness) cut it open along the top and pulled guts out. then took a piece of 1/4'' micarda board (electrical insulating board) and cut corners so nothing was sharp, wrapped edges with tape to make smooth, attached a 1" piece of duct work insulation (same size)and inserted it inside of empty seat sleeve (so obviously the size was just amall enough to fit inside) this was just wider than my hips and removed all pressure from my sides. I am 5' 10" 165 lbs an dthis was a perfect fit. i was never able to figure out a great way to attach this to saddle but just packed it in backpack and inserted it once i was set. This was THE GAME CHANGER FOR ME! ill see if i can round up some pics and post them or if you want shoot me a text/call if this doesnt make sense. 734-845-0981 good luck -Corey-

Awesome info, definitely try to find those pics!

I recently purchased a New Tribe AH evo and its worth the money. That being said I too had probs with the TL at my hips. I took the seat from my climbing tree stand and used the rear connection on the saddle to hold the seat(ran the strap through the seat then back through the saddle's very middle rear waist loop). This made a significant increase in comfort.

Back