• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY wild edge stepps

Thanks and yeah there was a lot of math to figure out then bends and were to put the step that your feet on so the cam over design will work right. So I cut out some fixtures with my CNC plasma cutter and made a tube bender then a fixture to place the step so everyone was in line. It was fun to make it. More time making fixtures then making the steps really hahah.

That’s further than I got. Haha I welded up a jig for bending the tube, cut the lengths for one step and then found a sweet deal on Facebook for eight steps and stopped right there. Now I’m trying to reconfigure some super old pole spurs instead but my DIY days are numbered. How does anyone with kids actually ever finish a project? All whining aside those come out pretty sweet. I’m jealous for Sure! Nice stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks there was a few prototypes that were in the making. Just trying to find out the right radius to make the bend correct was the hardest but now it's simple as 1,2,3 to make them. Wish I would of thought about the idea yeas ago! Lol

Yeah not bad really. I think the most costly part or it was the replacement ropes from wild edge. For a 12pk rope was $25 I think and material for me to make them was I believe around $25ish. Steel prices have changed so much I can look back and check tho

That’s further than I got. Haha I welded up a jig for bending the tube, cut the lengths for one step and then found a sweet deal on Facebook for eight steps and stopped right there. Now I’m trying to reconfigure some super old pole spurs instead but my DIY days are numbered. How does anyone with kids actually ever finish a project? All whining aside those come out pretty sweet. I’m jealous for Sure! Nice stuff

People with kids dont finish projects, there's just no time, and when there is time, theres no energy! Sometimes is just better to have a beverage and send out the paypal.

Thanks there was a few prototypes that were in the making. Just trying to find out the right radius to make the bend correct was the hardest but now it's simple as 1,2,3 to make them. Wish I would of thought about the idea yeas ago! Lol
Could you make them out of aluminum? I wonder what the difference in weight would be? Or if they would be strong enough to not bend when camming over?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

All signs point to no on aluminum. It's been explored. The most successful ones have been exact replicas, the ones where the bottom is split for four points of contact, and the ones made out of rebar. Apparently there are different kinds of rebar, if you attempt this make sure you get the kind that is acceptable to weld.

Ain't nuthin like the real thing though...

Could you make them out of aluminum? I wonder what the difference in weight would be? Or if they would be strong enough to not bend when camming over?

6061 Aluminum would scare me. I think as much force the cam action uses, it would deform and/or possibly shear

All signs point to no on aluminum. It's been explored. The most successful ones have been exact replicas, the ones where the bottom is split for four points of contact, and the ones made out of rebar. Apparently there are different kinds of rebar, if you attempt this make sure you get the kind that is acceptable to weld.

Ain't nuthin like the real thing though...
6061 Aluminum would scare me. I think as much force the cam action uses, it would deform and/or possibly shear
Yeah I didn't think it would be feasible. Mostly thinking out loud. It would be cool though. I have limited experience with WE steps, but I know the cam action creates a lot of force.

Thanks and yeah there was a lot of math to figure out then bends and were to put the step that your feet on so the cam over design will work right. So I cut out some fixtures with my CNC plasma cutter and made a tube bender then a fixture to place the step so everyone was in line. It was fun to make it. More time making fixtures then making the steps really hahah.

Ya, but now you have the jigs to make all the sets you want!!!

Yeah I have experimented with aluminum round stock. It was .500" in diameter and it seemed to hold up very well but I liked the steel tube idea better. I never did weight then but didn't feel like a much weight difference.

Back