• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY wooden platform

cb750

This year I hunted using a DIY platform exclusively. Not being able to weld and being cheap I made one with stuff in the house. The only purchase was a washer.
It's a 4x4 post with an 11inch square piece of 1 inch plywood on top. Reinforced with two brackets. I painted the platform and put grip tape on it.
It does on occasion make noise however not metallic it tends to be more creaking.
The holes in the 4x4 were drilled out for earlier attempts at using a ratchet strap. I coved the tree side of the 4x4 on a table saw. It weighs 4.5lbs including the lone wolf strap.
It does not fold but it sits the stuff pocket on the outside of my pack. It's not perfect but it is effective.
20181220_182102-1512x2016.jpg20181221_101739-1512x2016.jpg20181221_101733-1512x2016.jpg

I hate to be “that guy”, but man please be careful. That in no way looks safe to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont worry about being that guy. I'm okay with people looking out for me. But I've got over 30 hours on it and zero issues. I tested it at ground level and it took my 220lbs jumping on it. Perhaps it can't be seen but there are a couple bolts from the top of the platform into the 4x4 as well. Not just those brackets.

Dont worry about being that guy. I'm okay with people looking out for me. But I've got over 30 hours on it and zero issues. I tested it at ground level and it took my 220lbs jumping on it. Perhaps it can't be seen but there are a couple bolts from the top of the platform into the 4x4 as well. Not just those brackets.

Ah gotcha, I wasn't sure if there was anything but the brackets reinforcing the top. If it works for you great! Just be sure to hook up to your tether before getting on it, but that goes for any platform out there.

And the thing with platforms is that you are tethered in. If it was to fail you really wouldn't be hurt at all. Maybe a bit of a scare but no real danger.

Good job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep. I'm always attached once I leave the ground. Neighbour walks with severe limp from falling from a stand. This is not my permanent solution but got me through the year. Actually have one of those hurricane power steps I want to use (just the step portion) but trying figure out away to fold the platfotm

4x4 wow. Lol looks way safer than the folding stands we made when I was younger.

Back