• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dont get careless climbing like i did!

Scoutman

Been climbing trees hunting over 40 years. On 8/26/18 in Colorado, I fell from 25ft up a pine and caught myself 10ft off the ground. I was hanging upside down, my right leg miraculously wrapped around a limb and caught me. I suffered pretty good tree trunk rash on both arms trying to catch myself, took some good impact from a screw in step behind my left knee, but was extremely lucky considering. It took 3-4 days for skin on my arms to heal enough to tolerate anything on them, my left leg was badly bruised and sore, still sore now. I had a 3.5 mile hike out to the utv and then a 14 mile drive to camp. My buddy was with me and climbed up and helped me get upright to get down. He stayed in area to hunt as we had elk and elk sign all around.
I got complacent climbing using tree limbs out there for last 14 years, pines out there have plenty of limbs and you can usually trim a path straight up one using no steps. I trusted a limb that obviously wasn't strong enough to hold me and it snapped. Things happen fast in these situations and that's what happened here, my saving grace was focusing on stopping by any means. The stupid, confident part was my treesaddle was in my pack on the ground below me! I had a safety net with me and overconfidence trumped sound decision. So lesson learned and if this helps just one person not to do something like this, I've succeeded. BTW We took 2 cows and a chocolate bear later in hunt, lol.

Very glad to hear that you are not hurt bad. Could have ended so much worse. Very fortunate and very good reminder to all of us. Safety Always First.

Glad you’re okay Scoutman!

Dangit guys! Use your linemans belt/ropes to climb trees! My son and I were out setting up some trees last weekend. I do almost all the climbing (he is 29) but I am having the hardest time getting him to use a safety line when he climbs. He just doesn’t want to do it. Ggggrrrrr!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cajuns right, trees with lots of limbs are very easy to do a "secured free climb". Basically still free climb the tree but alternate the lanyard and tether (simplified split tail) or use a double ended lanyard to stay tied in all the way up

Hope you bounce back strong. Thanks for sharing cause we all get over confident during our climbs. Hopefully your story will make the rest of us much more aware of just how dangerous it is out there.
I'm really proud that the good Lord held on to you.

Wow

Got lucky with the leg catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good Lord was watching out for you Scoutman. Many, many years ago I was 40 feet up a water oak sitting on a limb on a foggy morning. My safety was a piece of para cord run through my belt loops and tied to the tree. I never felt it break when I slipped and fell face first. I fell about 20 feet and landed in a big bushy limb, my muzzleloader still in my left hand. It was a valuable lesson that could have cost me my life. I've been a safety advocate ever since, suspect it will be the same for you.

Been climbing trees hunting over 40 years. On 8/26/18 in Colorado, I fell from 25ft up a pine and caught myself 10ft off the ground. I was hanging upside down, my right leg miraculously wrapped around a limb and caught me. I suffered pretty good tree trunk rash on both arms trying to catch myself, took some good impact from a screw in step behind my left knee, but was extremely lucky considering. It took 3-4 days for skin on my arms to heal enough to tolerate anything on them, my left leg was badly bruised and sore, still sore now. I had a 3.5 mile hike out to the utv and then a 14 mile drive to camp. My buddy was with me and climbed up and helped me get upright to get down. He stayed in area to hunt as we had elk and elk sign all around.
I got complacent climbing using tree limbs out there for last 14 years, pines out there have plenty of limbs and you can usually trim a path straight up one using no steps. I trusted a limb that obviously wasn't strong enough to hold me and it snapped. Things happen fast in these situations and that's what happened here, my saving grace was focusing on stopping by any means. The stupid, confident part was my treesaddle was in my pack on the ground below me! I had a safety net with me and overconfidence trumped sound decision. So lesson learned and if this helps just one person not to do something like this, I've succeeded. BTW We took 2 cows and a chocolate bear later in hunt, lol.

Thank you for the reminder. We all get a little lazy with safety at times. Glad you're okay, congrats on the kills!

Same here. Over 40 years climbing trees and two years ago fell 20 feet. Took me out for the season.

Glad you're ok. Luckily I've never had a fall but before I had my little girl I would do unsafe things like climb trees with spurs and just hug the tree on the way up and back down. Never used a harness. Never wore orange. Just did a lot of absent minded juvenile stuff that when I look back on I'm thankful nothing bad happened. Now I won't get on the first stick (lone wolf) without a harness and linemans belt around the tree.

On a side note. A good friend of mine back home fell from his stand. I don't know how far or how he even fell. But he had to have surgery and now has a steal rod in his back. All he does now is sits around drinking and eating pain pills. Sad situation. Again, glad you and others are ok

Glad you're ok. Luckily I've never had a fall but before I had my little girl I would do unsafe things like climb trees with spurs and just hug the tree on the way up and back down. Never used a harness. Never wore orange. Just did a lot of absent minded juvenile stuff that when I look back on I'm thankful nothing bad happened. Now I won't get on the first stick (lone wolf) without a harness and linemans belt around the tree.

On a side note. A good friend of mine back home fell from his stand. I don't know how far or how he even fell. But he had to have surgery and now has a steal rod in his back. All he does now is sits around drinking and eating pain pills. Sad situation. Again, glad you and others are ok
Thank you for your comments and hope your friend finds help and support.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back