• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dynamic line instead of static?

putt4doe

Vendor Rep
Sep 30, 2014
Has anyone ever thought about using dynamic line for a bridge or their tree tether?

It seems like a dynamic line might allow there to be some absorption while you sit, almost acting like a shock.

On the other hand once we're set in the tree, I don't think we want any stretch on our lines because all it would do is make us go further down the tree until the slack was taken up and be back where we started load wise.

Thoughts?

boone0

Sep 28, 2014
Look up the % elongation of each line you're considering... I don't think, at the lengths/loads we are using, that it would make any difference.

jlh42581

Nov 30, 2014
PA
tinyurl.com
I use the muddy lifeline currently. If my 180 lb load is too much I guess I'll fall. The knots coming on tree tethers people are using in their stands are unbelievable. I bet I could pull a stuck full size out with this rope.

We're way over killing this at times. 11 mm ropes with 9 mm prussic puts the prussic ability nor near as high as a 7 mm but we do it anyhow.

I really think we should be using 40 ft lines and learning to switch pressure onto decender so we can get down in an emergency. Maybe some already do that.

jlh42581

Nov 30, 2014
PA
tinyurl.com
Well so much for that. I've been dwelling on this system of being able to repell for days.

Bought a 60' sterling, atc and another locking biner.

My reason being the possibility of losing a step... then what? Let's say you lose the top stick... how ya getting down?

80% of my season is solo with no cell. I really don't wanna call in 911 on my spot for such a thing.

Static or dynamic in this situation where you're not really falling I don't think matters. I've used both.

fawnzy

Jul 4, 2014
Why not carry one strap on of some kind. It could be a hanger and back you up to use on a descent in a pinch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NWFLBowhunter

Oct 22, 2014
Re:

jlh42581 said:
Well so much for that. I've been dwelling on this system of being able to repell for days.

My reason being the possibility of losing a step... then what? Let's say you lose the top stick... how ya getting down?

80% of my season is solo with no cell. I really don't wanna call in 911 on my spot for such a thing.

Static or dynamic in this situation where you're not really falling I don't think matters. I've used both.
I've been thinking of doing this ever since I switched to climbing with spurs. Drop a spur and I'm stuck! Plus, its faster coming down at night. Let me know what you end up with. I have not repelled since I was in the Marines, and all we did then was wrap the biner a few times and zip down. Want something a little safer than that. My plan is to use the repell line as my tie off, then switch to a decender when ready to come down.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Re: Re:

NWFLBowhunter said:
jlh42581 said:

I've been thinking of doing this ever since I switched to climbing with spurs. Drop a spur and I'm stuck! Plus, its faster coming down at night. Let me know what you end up with. I have not repelled since I was in the Marines, and all we did then was wrap the biner a few times and zip down. Want something a little safer than that. My plan is to use the repell line as my tie off, then switch to a decender when ready to come down.

This sounds like a good idea if you are using spurs. You could save weight on rope because you wouldn't have to worry about getting the rope up there, just have enough to go around the tree then to the ground. You could something simple for descent.

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015
I'm currently using a rope ascent system for the year and I made the mistake of buying rock climbing static instead of tree climbing rope and at thirty feet 10mm rock static is like a bungy chord and it takes a lot of energy to climb on where the arborist climbing rope(Yale Bandit) @ 60ft has half the stretch. If you want shock absorption I would consider a rock climbing rope lanyard with a rock climbing style prusiks.

jlh42581

Nov 30, 2014
PA
tinyurl.com

NWFLBowhunter said:
jlh42581 said:

The munter hitch can work on a biner alone in a pinch.

boone0

Sep 28, 2014
The KM-MAX was pretty solid, I didn't notice any bounce or stretch. Seems like it has a very durable exterior, more so than bandit. I think it is also what whispers death uses but I can't remember. I like it so far.

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015

jlh42581 said:
NWFLBowhunter said:
jlh42581 said:

The munter hitch can work on a biner alone in a pinch.

I'm using a petzel pirana to repel out right now. I started with a mini rescue 8 but it was a pain to tie of and I weigh 225 so it was kind of hard to control descent speed. With the pirana I use the highest friction setting and if I want to "hang out" for a minute all I have to do is give it two wraps and it'll hold me without even holding it. Love it.

Stykbow1

Vendor Rep
Apr 2, 2014
New Jersey
Very interesting stuff here guys and NWFLbowhunter glad you have a back up plan if something happens with the spurs a lot of guys don't have a back up plan that I know of except hug the tree and slide down!

Do you find using the ropes to ascend or descend saves you any time or is this strictly to avoid using sticks, steps or other tree climbing hardware? Also is there a savings to doing it this way or do you feel the flexibility outweighs the cost, I'm just curious?

Right now I'm planning on using the drill and peg system for most of my areas that I don't already have a preset and so far it seems to be a good fit for my hunting areas. I know some areas don't allow any damage to the tree so that isn't an option for some guys.

Keep us posted I find this method really intersesting and very close to the arborist tree climbing roots. I'm sure there are a lot of guys who might find your information useful and helpful for getting started in using this method.

Good Hunting, Roger

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015
edc71904845ced35ca02d7254ea09e0a.jpg

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015
I know this conversion has been had but gaffs do damage the trees. I'm giving an all rope rig a go this year. I'm thinking about trying two lanyards a go for climbing. One for my harness and one for my foot loops.

jlh42581

Nov 30, 2014
PA
tinyurl.com
Re:

DIYSaddler said:
I know this conversion has been had but gaffs do damage the trees. I'm giving an all rope rig a go this year. I'm thinking about trying two lanyards a go for climbing. One for my harness and one for my foot loops.

Aka DRT climbing

jlh42581

Nov 30, 2014
PA
tinyurl.com
I'm only interested in the self rescue portion at this point. It is however appealing to go to 30' with just rope.

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015

jlh42581 said:
Aka DRT climbing[/quote]

Not DRT. One lanyard to my harness then a second for a set of rope stirrups. Almost like the one stick method minus the stick.... Tried it today, didn't work near as good as I'd like.

Right now I use SRT with 60' of Yale bandit and two prusiks. One to my harness and the other to a double foot loop. The 60' gives me the option of a base tie if the limb I'm using is right at 30' but more often than not I'm finding that my throw in point at 40-50' makes it easier to be comfortable as I don't have the rope pulling me as hard toward the trunk of the tree. I've used gaffs but the time it takes to put them on when I get where I'm going is the same amount of time it takes to get the rope in the tree and I never have to worry about gaffing out. Plus if your already carrying the rope for self rescue you may as well use it to get in the tree.

jlh42581

Nov 30, 2014
PA
tinyurl.com
I'm finding 60' of rope is pretty substantial. I bought it but haven't spent time working with it quite yet. The idea of being hooked up the whole time is very appealing. Going over a branch would severely limit my setup options. A lot of the public land here is very old growth hardwoods with first limbs being extremely high. I definitely don't want more than 60. 40 might even be plenty. Heck 25 would work many times.