• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ethically?

Autumnrider

Just heard a TV pro hunter say, it's not "ETHICAL" to shoot an animal while it's bedded down.......?

Why?
Who lives by that?

I don't, God says, HUNT......but I have not read in the bible, nor was I taught that we are not supposed to kill while the animal is bedded.

If I'm hunting for meat or its a special critter on my hit list I'll take the shot. If I have a comfortable supply of meat or its just a regular critter I'll observe and maybe work on my stalking skills.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Hmm. I shot this one bedded down last year so you can guess where I stand on the issue. He never got up. I am not sure what was unethical about that.... I would think it is an accomplishment if I can get on a deer when it is relaxed enough to be bedded where I can get a shot. That said you need to watch carefully as you can get into some weird shot angles due to the deer laying down..... JMO...
ef3dd6d733899419ac585524731ed33b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

:blush:
Just heard a TV pro hunter say, it's not "ETHICAL" to shoot an animal while it's bedded down.......?

Why?
Who lives by that?

I don't, God says, HUNT......but I have not read in the bible, nor was I taught that we are not supposed to kill while the animal is bedded.
That pro hunter is probably talking about the ones he shoots on a game farm.
If you can stalk and shoot a deer I would call that difficult hunting... like a lone wolf:blush::blush:

Sounds like that "pro" has his priorities mixed up. Or maybe he has PETA whispering in his ear at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But really, you know, shouldn't we be wearing light blue diesel soaked mechanics overalls with cow bells around the hips while hunting downwind with bare feet and ankle cuffs while carrying a vintage muzzle loader which would be illegal to load until within range of the deer and it has seen us. Just sayin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FYI those shows have to sign agreements about number of times they show a kill shot, cant show the shot in slow motion kill and can't show shots on bedded deer.
That is why he said that, more than likely it was in his contract that if he shot a bedded deer, they wouldn't be allowed to show it.

That said, I don't think I would shoot a bedded deer. Not because its unethical, because it does alot of funny things to scapula, rips and how the organs sit. I will wait til it stands to shoot it.

Thanks,
Boswell

Hmmm I guess he's looking at it like a duck sitting on the water? The way I see it, outside of the deer farms he likely hunts, getting close enough to a bedded animal is at the top of the list of hunting achievements. I'm talking bow range. When you factor in how a mature deer beds in a way to maximize all his senses I think it's pretty impressive. Now something like a mule deer you can glass from a mile away and take a 500yd shot is a little different...

Also I agree a bedded animal gives you all sorts of crazy shot angles.

Either way, I've basically given up on hunting shows nowadays. It's nothing more then infomercials and tame animals.

Most mature bucks bed in locations where EVERYTHING they can control is in their favor. They approach from downwind to check the area, bed looking downwind so they can see their approach, bed with their back against good cover downwind from any threat approaching from upwind. That is the ABSOLUTE hardest time to get within bow range of a buck. That means this is the time when odds are MOST stacked in the deer's favor. I feel like that is the ultimate archery accomplishment. The most unfair setup would be a rut funnel where the buck only uses the area a few times a year and has no cover to utilize the terrain differently than how a hunter has already set up for.....

Call me crazy, but that is a highly ethical shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV guy needs to hunt in an area where he would be more than happy to kill a bedded buck as it might be his only opportunity of the season. TV and video guys hunt in LaLa land or fantasy island.

By the way pilgrim, awesome buck, and to be so good as to take him while bedded, great job!!!!!!!!!! I've hunted 53 seasons and have never had an opportunity at a mature bedded buck. and if I did he would be in deep dudu.

IMO I see nothing wrong with taking a deer in its bed. Actually I find it really impressive to get that close with a bow without a buck noticing you. I would take a buck mounting a doe, I would let him finish the job and go out with a bang ;) But fair chase is fair chase.

Back