• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Etriers

Scott F

Just a quick post for those wanting to make etriers to try instead of buying them.

For a while I preferred a 'ladder type' vs 'alternating step' type simply because it was easier for me to stick my boots in each step. Alternating steps are easier to make but they tend to collapse when you climb unless you put something in each step to stiffen it.. To mitigate the steps closing as I ascended or descended the etrier I used a stiffener made from pvc pipe; this wasn't optimal for me.
I was bored so I decided to make a new set. I used some climbing grade 1" tubular nylon webbing that I had on hand for a 3-step etrier. To stiffen the steps for my boot-hold I cut 6" long sections of 11mm climbing rope from my old tether and inserted these into the tubular webbing in areas of the rope that corresponded with the steps. These slide fairly easily through the tubing so I could move them to where each step would be formed, but remain in place after I tied the knots to form my etrier. It seems to be very quiet, packs down easily, and appears to stay open for my boots. I think I'll like these, but haven't tried them out yet but it is simple, and simple is good.

I'm planning on a 3-step etrier for my bottom two LW sticks and nothing on my top stick. Should be NO problem getting to my optimal height with an easy and quiet ascent up the tree. Time will tell if I lawn dart to my doom... If you don't hear from me after our season opener on 7 Oct you may know why.

Just passing it along for those that are interested.

I think the 3 step CMI etier were like $21 and well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The webbing from REI was far less than $21; enough for two (3x) step etriers and took about 15 minutes to make while watching some TV show on Alaska.

I could easily buy them, but I really enjoy any/all DIY projects. Case in point, I have a closet full of selfbows and laminated longbow and recurves...

The webbing from REI was far less than $21; enough for two (3x) step etriers and took about 15 minutes to make while watching some TV show on Alaska.

I could easily buy them, but I really enjoy any/all DIY projects. Case in point, I have a closet full of selfbows and laminated longbow and recurves...
How much webbing would I need to buy for the DIY 3 step aider?

Do the math and see what a 3 step on the bottom and then single loops on the others will get you.

Just a quick post for those wanting to make etriers to try instead of buying them.

For a while I preferred a 'ladder type' vs 'alternating step' type simply because it was easier for me to stick my boots in each step. Alternating steps are easier to make but they tend to collapse when you climb unless you put something in each step to stiffen it.. To mitigate the steps closing as I ascended or descended the etrier I used a stiffener made from pvc pipe; this wasn't optimal for me.
I was bored so I decided to make a new set. I used some climbing grade 1" tubular nylon webbing that I had on hand for a 3-step etrier. To stiffen the steps for my boot-hold I cut 6" long sections of 11mm climbing rope from my old tether and inserted these into the tubular webbing in areas of the rope that corresponded with the steps. These slide fairly easily through the tubing so I could move them to where each step would be formed, but remain in place after I tied the knots to form my etrier. It seems to be very quiet, packs down easily, and appears to stay open for my boots. I think I'll like these, but haven't tried them out yet but it is simple, and simple is good.

I'm planning on a 3-step etrier for my bottom two LW sticks and nothing on my top stick. Should be NO problem getting to my optimal height with an easy and quiet ascent up the tree. Time will tell if I lawn dart to my doom... If you don't hear from me after our season opener on 7 Oct you may know why.

Just passing it along for those that are interested.

PS
I do a good bit of DIY, but having all of your steps the same plus the reinforced connection points of a good Aider are worth a few bucks.

I agree wholeheartedly. Most of my DIY projects would be better off if I just bought something already made! Hahaha!

I just like making things; it is all part of the experience for me.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Let me see if this picture works.
I am 6' tall and the top step on my LW stick is a smidge over 8' high with these three steps.
I had to adjust the length of the top step in my etrier because it was a little longer that the other two.
825e297cf40d7e242ff5c6c6b7ca98a6.jpg

To make it I just inserted the 6" lengths of rope and shoved them into the webbing.
Slide one piece to where you want it and tie an overhand knot.
Slide the next one down and tie another overhand knot. After the third piece was moved into place I used a water knot but you want it to be offset so when you girthhitch it to your stick the knot is not located in the 'hitched' part if that makes sense...

I was able to use etriers on all three sticks the last time I hunted (2015).
The trick of the single-step stick is to have the next one handy so you can quickly set it up while balancing on one foot. Not too fun, but certainly doable.

I have some 550 cord on my saddle and just loop it around the other two sticks; one on each hip. I am a one-climb type of guy, I hate hoing up, coming down to get more sticks then head back up. That sucks.

I am going to make another 3 step etrier to put on stick #2. My third stick may not have an additional etrier.
I think I can get the top of my third stick ~20' or so without much trouble this way. I usually intentionally hunt a little lower, not this year.

Back