• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Evo or kestrel?

Jschlaud

I am hunting out of the evo hunter saddle and like it but looking into the kestrel. Just want some imput for guys that's have used both or has done the switch? I like the kite and the less bulk. Just wondering if there's a big difference in comfort? Thanks

I have the kite and I love it so far. I'm 5-10 180lbs w/ 32" waist and I got the size 1 which fits like it was tailored for me. Light and comfortable.

Thanks I want to make the switch but I want to make sure there's no big difference before I got spend the money.

I switched from the Evo to the Kestrel last season. My very first impression was that the Evo was more comfortable but I soon figured out through both this site and trial-and-error that the Kestrel has to be used a little differently. Once I found the sweet spot and proved that I could do an all-day sit in the Kestrel, I sold my Evo because the smaller size and lighter weight were big benefits to me.

All that said, I would love to try the Kite or Mantis as they both seem like they could be even more comfortable than the Kestrel because of the way they form a cup for your seat.

^^ im with Red. It like an entirely different saddle - same comfort - way less going on.

I think if it were me and I wasn’t in a hurry I would hold off on ordering until the mantis reviews start flowing and they had some quality hunting time behind them. Weigh all your available options. Just my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all your input! That's the only reason I want the kite is for the light weight and less bulk. I'm a bigger guy. 6' 4" around 250lbs and I found the evo to be comfortable bow that I figured it out and played with it enough. Thanks again!!!

I was really never able to dial in the Evo for that long term comfort. The term "Saddle Shape" had some meaning to me then. I was comfortable almost immediately in the Kestrel. If it makes a difference, I'm more of a leaner than a sitter.

Well I got my kestrel yesterday! I got really lucky that I love really close to a tree climbing surplus outlet and they had a kestrel in stock. Got to try it on and feel in love with it. What a difference from the evo to the kestrel. Thanks a lot for all your help

Back