• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EZV sight / Thumb Release

kyler1945

SH Member
I bought the sight a couple seasons ago, and I also wanted to make the switch to a thumb release, and figured its probably like a golf swing - just take it all the way down and build it from ground up. I waited because I thought i'd need a fair amount of time to get dialed in. I won't lie, I'm disappointed in myself for fear of loss...

I had the sight centered, and the right insert chosen within 20 shots or so, and ended that shooting session. I noticed it being considerably easier to hold on target, and my releases/anchor point were way more consistent versus my wrist release. I killed the session wanting to end on a high note.

I just finished my second shooting session. My groups shrank significantly from what I can remember in the past. I shot competitively when I was much younger, with free time and good eyesight. The gap between the way I've been shooting lately, and the good old days, just closed considerably.

I'll obviously need to get 10 or so sessions in to see if the results continue, but I've come away impressed so far.

Side note - I've been torqueing the grip on my bow consistently and had no idea. When I put this sight on and drew back for the first time, I noticed the cables in the sight window. I let down, drew again, and same thing. Nothing else changed, so I went to the internet. This is a common issue I guess for Mathews bows (maybe others as well), and to the chagrin of the OP's in every thread, the smart people kept saying torque. I went out, drew back, made an adjustment with my grip and voila, clear sight window. I literally felt the difference all the way up my arm and into my back. I can't give the EZV too much credit, but I wouldn't have uncovered the issue without a smaller sight window to reveal it.

Side note 2 - I think one of the main reasons for the improvement at range is being able to focus on the target with the sight not covering it, and playing mental gymnastics trying to decide on which to focus. I didn't have this issue when I was younger, and I think the reason is twofold: More practice, and better eyesight. I would say if you don't have great eyesight, this might be the sight for you.

Side note 3 - I have been considering going no peep sight, and may make that change as well. I've never not had it - so I if any of you don't shoot a peep, please chime in here - Will my string be affected by taking the peep out, or am I good to just pop it out and give it a shot? Any tips or information that can help me in shooting no peep?

I would highly suggest to press your bow before attempting to remove the peep-they are notorious for cutting strings. Also a viable no peep alternative is the Bow Anchor sight made by Archery Innovations. This device can tell you so much about your shooting form.

I picked up a new 3d deer for fourth shooting session. 24 shots at random distances from 7-40 yards. Only two were outside of what I would consider 100% fatal shots. Strangely enough both were inside of 25 yards(I noted the locations and measured after the session). Both I feel confident would still have killed the deer. What stood out to me is the ease and quickness I deliberated and released.

I'll probably take two more sessions from the ground, then i'm going to hop up in a tree, and have someone locate the target randomly for me with my back turned. I'll do this a couple of times, then i'll flip the insert around and start back on standard target and repeat the progression.

I am digging this sight.

Couldn't take it had to get back out and shoot some more. Shot known distances at 40/50/60. It's been so long since I've shot at 60, everything was fuzzy and small. I might be at the limits of my vision. Groups too big to stay comfortable shooting because of it. Came back in to 50, and 4" groups every round. I love this sight. Looking forward to the next day of shooting!

Did things a little different this go around. I shot random distances and angles on the 3D deer from 10-50 for 15 shots. Only 2 arrows of the 15 would've meant trouble - both hit front shoulder bone. All the rest would result in double lunged deer.

Now that I was warmed up, but not tired, I backed up to 60 yards again (ranged) on the 3D deer. I shot 5 - 3 shot groups. I really slowed down, and tried to focus on form. 11-15 were dead deer no doubt. The rest felt bad on release, so I know the bow/sight is dialed in, it's just me being rusty.

Will probably fling some more arrows this evening.

Did things a little different this go around. I shot random distances and angles on the 3D deer from 10-50 for 15 shots. Only 2 arrows of the 15 would've meant trouble - both hit front shoulder bone. All the rest would result in double lunged deer.

Now that I was warmed up, but not tired, I backed up to 60 yards again (ranged) on the 3D deer. I shot 5 - 3 shot groups. I really slowed down, and tried to focus on form. 11-15 were dead deer no doubt. The rest felt bad on release, so I know the bow/sight is dialed in, it's just me being rusty.

Will probably fling some more arrows this evening.
Is this EZV that good? I'm interested. I read your thread and go to YouTube to check it out. Not a lot there but the sales pitch was on! I've always felt uncomfortable with pins and the eyes sure aren't what they used to be. I'm out at 30 yds today and after shooting 3" groups I send one out to neverland. I'm not the greatest archer but I've been practicing every other day for the past 2 months and have shot more deer with my bow than a gun for the past 20 years. Probably just slacked off a bit? I like the concept. We're too close to our opener for me to change this year but perhaps next? Keep posting, I'm following.

Is this EZV that good? I'm interested. I read your thread and go to YouTube to check it out. Not a lot there but the sales pitch was on! I've always felt uncomfortable with pins and the eyes sure aren't what they used to be. I'm out at 30 yds today and after shooting 3" groups I send one out to neverland. I'm not the greatest archer but I've been practicing every other day for the past 2 months and have shot more deer with my bow than a gun for the past 20 years. Probably just slacked off a bit? I like the concept. We're too close to our opener for me to change this year but perhaps next? Keep posting, I'm following.

I regret holding the site for two seasons before trying it. There is no learning curve to shoot it with the tick marks at known yardages. The learning curve is using the v to range. I'm slowly coming around on that. But my groups have tightened up considerably at known ranges. Outside of shooting pure instinct, I can't see how any other sight would be better for hunting. I'm only several sessions in though. I will be able to give a much more informed opinion after I put it through the season.

Got my first session in with the insert flipped around. While I’ve had my target in the same spot for a bit, and kind of knew distances generally, not having the ticks showing required me to use the V. Only 3 of 20 shots were not in the kill zone from 10-40yards. Oddly enough I was fine on those three shots elevation wise, but hit forward in the front shoulder. All the rest were dialed in. I was pleasantly surprised.

Now I just have to figure out how to convince someone to trot the target around the yard to random distances, pull arrows, toss me a beer, etc while I’m hanging in the saddle.

It’s looking like this thing is as advertised on the range. I plan on continuing to shoot as much as possible up to season to make it as instinctual as possible.

On a side note I emailed Aaron asking if I could purchase a couple inserts as spares. He wouldn’t let me and shipped the insert I’m using and the one above and below for good measure. The dude is pretty damn nice.

I’m happy so far

Awesome thread man. Just wanted to add that I purchased the EZV this off season and have been practicing with it as well. Very similar results to you. Very impressed with it in all honesty.

Aaron has come up with a simple, rugged design that is using some tech from ages past and applied it to archery. With this sight when you free up your brain it is uncanny how well you can shoot. Your brain knows how much of target/animal needs to be in the V and bang zoom a killing shot! Going to go shoot from my practice tower after breakfast . Thanks for getting me geeked up!

I have found that most improvements in stands, climbing methods, bows, etc are generally pretty small. And when you factor in all of the variables that come along with hunting, they seem to become statistically irrelevant. I like when things like this (or saddle to stand, stepps to sticks, etc) are significant departures from the standard, and if the valley can be crossed, offer a significant reward. Who knows, I may arrive at the conclusion that it's really not all that different from pins/rangefinders. But at this point, I see it being quite a change.

I have found that most improvements in stands, climbing methods, bows, etc are generally pretty small. And when you factor in all of the variables that come along with hunting, they seem to become statistically irrelevant. I like when things like this (or saddle to stand, stepps to sticks, etc) are significant departures from the standard, and if the valley can be crossed, offer a significant reward. Who knows, I may arrive at the conclusion that it's really not all that different from pins/rangefinders. But at this point, I see it being quite a change.

That is very well put.

Second session with the insert turned around so I had no yardage cheats.

First three arrows were from around 40ish yards, all three right down the chute. I was super pumped. The success continued moving all around from 10-40 yards, I only had one arrow out of 25-30 shot miss what I would consider dead no matter what.

I got bold and backed up somewhere between 50-60. This is where I think the sight is going to take some real practice. Framing the vitals, and framing them exactly, is important because at that distance I'm dropping over 2" for every yard of travel. I sent an arrow just under the belly of the target, then followed that up with one right into the spine. I then ranged 60 yards, and flipped the insert around. Punched three arrows into the vitals, so I knew I was still dialed in. I flipped it back around, and was able to get the next 6 arrows on target, but only 3 in vitals.

I was pretty tired at that point, and knew my form was slipping, and confidence. The good news is that I know that it isn't a problem - it's just needing practice getting it exact. I have a feeling 40-45 yards will be my effective range without the ticks or the rangefinder.

All in all, the arrow is still pointing up, pun intended. I love this sight so far. As advertised. I see absolutely no need for a rangefinder inside of 40 yards with this thing.

I made these two shots tonight right at dark 18 feet up in a tree using the EZV sight. I used the flash on my camera so you can clearly see the arrows. The dark photo was taken five minutes after I made the shots. This sight is the easiest low lights sight I’ve ever used.

6210e25b37abff4b6a5b383d658ca1fc.jpg
9eddff8f38ad0d52c0f44b6b5c7c24ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My third session with no yardage markers or known yardages was a bit less positive. I shot with a friend, and in 95* heat and 99% humidity(the other 1% was mosquitos and gnats). I lost two arrows shooting at 60 yards, both quite low. Shooting low was a general trend throughout the session. We did a quick warmup from 40-50-60 known distances. After that warmup, we began shooting one arrow at a time, and moving the target for each other to random spots and distances and angles. I probably sent 50-60 arrows down range, and my kill rate was more probably closer to 60-70%. Of the misses, the majority were low. At one point, I was concerned the sight moved, so I flipped the insert and shot at 40 to verify it was on(it was).

Some takeaways:

Shooting known distances with no reference on the sight is no different than unknown distances. This is a drawback in my opinion, if you have time and the ability to range the target. However, I'm interested in the net result of improving odds across all scenarios. I think the gains in not having to range, and not mixing up pins, and being able to draw on a moving deer and not worry about changing yardage all outweigh that one negative.

There was considerably more stress during this session. Shooting with other people, very uncomfortable environment, and fatigue from extended session all factored in. I expected this to be the case, and was curious to see how I respond. I felt that this was a more accurate representation of what I'll be experiencing in the field when its crunch time. As expected, I performed significantly worse. On the bright side, I can see all of the light at the end of the tunnel. This is simply a matter of practice.

My friend was shooting a much faster rig than mine (375grain arrow v 500). Inside of 20 yards, he was slightly more accurate than I was simply because he could set a pin on his spot and not guess yardage. Neither of us really had any bad shots at these distances though.

From 30-50 yards, even with my poorer shooting, I shot better than him at random unknown distances. We had enough movement of the target and terrain features to throw off the ability to judge distance accurately. This is where the sight shines. Again, poor shooting, but the path to correction is clear, and it was still better than the human mind trying to guess the yardage and shooting a faster arrow.

Target issue - I have a 3d target that the vital section is a replaceable cube. I guess over my last several shooting sessions I'd gotten accustomed to those contrasting lines, and subconsciously used the rear vertical line as the "last rib" of the deer. When I shot at my friends, he had the same brand target, but it's a bigger version. That square is about 2" bigger. I have a strong feeling this led to my consistently low shooting. When I voiced this opinion, he remarked "well deer are different sizes bud", and his point was well taken. I have heard mention of using the halfway point of the deer (just halving the body with one side of the v and lining the other up on the shoulder. I think this will be easier on a live animal, and I'm going to find a target with no obvious markings like the ones we have to confirm.

It was pretty disheartening to shoot that poorly, especially with a friend who was pretty interested in trying the sight. We chatted through some of the issues, and agree on most of it. I ended up letting him shoot my bow a few times up close and he likes the concept. Looking forward to building on the work done yesterday.

Anyone have a suggestion for a 3d deer that doesn't have a replaceable core, and no real visible markings on the side of the body besides the scoring rings?

Back in business - had a release failure, so put my big boy pants on and get a double seer release (boss x and an SX3) Looks like i'll probably roll with the boss x, seems to work better for me.

I've been shooting with the ticks showing the last few sessions as i'm getting used to the release. I will flip it back around and shoot with no yardage known until a week before season. If at that point I'm not comfortable to 50, i'll add ticks for 40-50 and range deer at that distance or not take the shot. Inside of 30 I won't think twice.

I'm at around 500 shots now, but a fair amount of the last 100 were getting used to new release setup. The next few hundred are going to be all about ranging.

Listeened to the DIY Sportsman’s episode. Very curious. Thinking about tryihg it. It’s whether I want to mess with this this close to hunting season.

I was practicing from my shooting tower with broadheads yesterday at fairly close ranges <25 yds. Out of my practise shots I had one high shot but still would have clipped both lungs. I am finding for me that when I just free up my mind it just knows how much target needs to be in the "V".

Back