• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Figuring Rope length - Knots. Woopie Slings, tethers

Mag1

Hi all, I know there is a lot of information on the different types of safety gear we all use, but it isn't easy to find, you have to do a ton of searching, and even then, its hard to keep track of. I am wondering if anyone can give some recommended length's and sizes of rope for all of our gear, and then, would it be possible to either make a sticky, or a thread where we can all go and reference if needed? I may have missed some things, so correct me if I am incorrect. What I am doing, is going thru my LW Hang On Stand gear, and seeing what I can re-purpose for saddle hunting. Also, I want to upgrade/lighten my load, so I am also looking at some of the lighter ropes as well. If anyone can add some input, that would be helpful.

Here's what I have compiled, I just don't know what would need to be added for length when doing the knots. Also, I am missing some of the lengths that might work well.

Tether - Samson Ultratech 9mm, Samson Predator 11mm, Bluewater Assault 11mm
Length -
Linesman Belt -
Linesman Belt, Backup -
Bridge - 1/4" Amsteel
Length -
Bridge, Adjustable (Woopie Sling) - 1/4" Amsteel
Length -
Gear hanger - 1/8" or 7/64" Amsteel with ZingIt or LashIt or para-cord for prussik knots to hang gear from
Length - 5' or more
LW Stick Mod's -
Length - 6-8'

Hooks/gear that looks to be useful (ideas from G2 and others on the sight and Y-tube)
S-Biner
Clipter - use for bow holder off gear hanger
U-Slide Bow Hanger - screw in

So much of this stuff is personal preference I can understand doing a search will make you want to beat your head on the ground. I’ve been saddle hunting for a few years now and still changing out gear and trying new stuff. You usually get a better price if you buy in bulk so maybe invest in some rope and start playing with sized for everything. Predator makes a good tree tether and linemans belt. Amsteel is great for a bridge.
Have you watched G2s videos. I’d say that’s our sticky for all ideas and info on styles and sizes that people like.

I have watched them all, its just when I do, I don't have a pad of paper ready to write down all the lengths. It is kind of hard to figure how much length to add for the knots. I was kind of hoping not to have to buy to "Much" rope at once. wife starts to wonder why I keep getting packages.

Ok, so, I just went back to the Samson web site, and most of their instructions provide the lengths. I was lazy, sorry, but it would be nice to have all the info. for the commons stuff we all use in one spot.

I have watched them all, its just when I do, I don't have a pad of paper ready to write down all the lengths. It is kind of hard to figure how much length to add for the knots. I was kind of hoping not to have to buy to "Much" rope at once. wife starts to wonder why I keep getting packages.
A good length for your tether and lineman's belt is somewhere around 6-7 feet. I usually buy somewhere around 10-12 foot of rope to make sure I have enough to get that length after knots. So I'd buy 24 foot of rope and that should be enough, you might have a few extra feet but its easier to cut a little off than to add some :D

X2 i would always buy more than you need by at least a foot or two for each item your making. It will ensure you have enough when you have to tie knots.

I’m using Predator for my bridge/tether and Bluewater assault for my lineman’s belt. The Bluewater assault is a lot stiffer rope and will hopefully work well for a lineman’s belt. I think it would work well for any kind of hanging weight. Also made a bridge of Bluewater tubular climbing webbing just to try out. And definitely order a good bit more than you need, those knots can take up a lot of rope.

Back