• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finished my Stick Modification

Bigburner

I finally got around to making myself a loop to give me a little added height and weight reduction for use with my Lone Wolf sticks. I used 1" tubular webbing and 5 mm paracord and thought about a couple design things to make it work and get it clean looking. You can simpley tie a knot and role with it, but recently my buddy was given an idustrial sewing machine and you what to talk about opening up possibilities for basically modifying and making gear. Its awesome! So It works good I can get about 7' plus with one stick. I took 5 1/2' piece of webbing sewed the loop and ended up with about a 30" loop and then cobra weaved the stirups to keep them open. Probabley make another and use them in the winter or on tall straight trees to get up high.

Looks great! That industrial strength sewing machine sure would come in handy. I probably sew more things than my wife :p

If I have some free time this summer I am going to look into doing something similar. I think its a great idea. Can't wait to hear what you have to say after you've put it into action.

I have my materials to do this in the mail and hope to take care of it in the next week or two. Do you think this is something that is really just do-able for the bottom stick? As you go up and down the tree I assume it would be harder to deal with the straps once you get off the ground. In the video he mentioned that he really only does it for the bottom one.

c h r i s said:
Seems to work for this guy (skip to 2:50). Not sure I have the cojones for it tho:

http://youtu.be/If1nxAPM28U

He's got a few other decent vids that others still using the saddle might enjoy.

So I wouldn't want to be doing that lol. Or coming down on that in the dark. I guess its a good idea in theory but doesn't seem really safe.

2 things really stood out to me in that video. The first was when the guy wasn't that far off the ground and he teetered backwards. Yikes. The 2nd was how he had that screw in spike in. The way he put that spike in is a death sentence waiting to happen. The spikes should always be put in with the base screwed tightly against the tree so that the screw is not bending when you step on it. I am going to make a video on how to do that correctly and post it because I see way too many people screw them in like that and I don't want to know what happens to them.

The aider will stay open better if you tie the webbing with a triangle pulled into it. (Multiple step aiders) DIY sportsmans youtube video was what I followed, then added a p cord cobra braid on each step. I use a 2 step aider that is movable stick to stick. W 3 full size LW sticks I can get 30 feet up if i use the aider of each stick. Usually i use it once or twice and hunt around 20, depends on tree.
I like to limit my sticks to 3 bc it gets me up the tree in one shot .

Well at least he kept saying it was not safe while he continued to climb in a unsafe manner. That video should be used as an example of what not to do. The weight of 2 extra sticks is nothing compared to waiting for the odds to catch up to you your way up or down. "Stupid is as stupid does"

holy moly batman where did you dig this up from 2014? its like a time capsule!!!!!!!!!!! I remember seeing this in 2015 we were already using aiders like it was the greatest thing ever.
Look at Reds comment do you think its just do able for bottom stick? lol its like he seen the future lol no Red we use them on all sticks some aiders 5 steps long and CAYG! lol

Seems to work for this guy (skip to 2:50). Not sure I have the cojones for it tho:

He's got a few other decent vids that others still using the saddle might enjoy.
Hes bordering and pushing the envelop of safety. Solid climbing and decending methods are only prudent for the long haul. Personally I'd rather error on a stick or step rather than slipping out of position from a rope step. I can see using it at your bottom step to gain some height but it only takes one mistake to change a hunting season...keep safe guys and make climbing decisions the pinnacle attribute that brings you home safely.
May The Magic of The Whitetail Forever Enrich Your Life

Back