• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Aid Kit Poll

Do you carry a first aid kit; and if so, what type?

• Total voters

bowhunthard88

SH Member
So who here carries a first aid kit, and how is it assembled? Just curious as to what the general population is doing. You can answer the poll, and leave it, or feel free to post up what you carry why and where.

I have a pre-assembled kit for hiking/camping/backpacking but it doesn’t come with me hunting. It contains basic medicine, ointments, bandages, etc. I have been putting off getting a small trauma kit for that SHTF event that you never suspect and never want happening. Most of the hunting I do is pretty close to town and I have cell service. If I’m hunting in the NF with no cell service I probably should have at least the trauma kit on my person.

I’ve always had a kit in the truck but never had a single thing with me in the field. After seeing how many people carry one in a what’s in your pack thread it occurred to me that having one in the truck does me little to no good if I’m 2 miles out in the field so I picked up a basic kit and added it to my pack. Bandaids, tape, tourniquet, gauze, etc. Weighs 5 oz. Hope I never have to touch a thing in it but it’s there now if needed.

Right now, I don't carry anything when hunting where I have cell service and I'm not far from my vehicle (edit: this should probably change). When more remote, I carry quick clot, a tourniquet, and an Israeli bandage. I don't care for most first aid kits. If my injury will be helped with band aids, simple gauze and tape, and neosporin....then it isn't an emergency and I'll just walk to my truck and use my first aid kit I keep in it. I am more interested in I guess it would be called a trauma kit.

I voted none but do have some duct tape and a little zip bag with 3-4 each of benadryl, ibuprofen and aleve. But I also have a zoleo in case I catch the fubar, I can text for help or send SOS.

I carry a pre-assembled kit for day hunting, that I add a few additional items to. I added some single-use liquid Krazy Glue and a stripped down AM Trauma Pak Pro (basically the tourniquet, Quikclot, and pad). If I have a headache or something, it may not be an emergency, but I don't wanna have to hike back to the truck for something that simple. I use my kit as needed, it's not a "break glass only in case of an emergency" concept lol. For a multi-day camping trip I have a more in-depth kit. If I can see houses, etc., I won't carry a kit.

I always have a full kit in the truck/house etc., but I do want access for immediate needs at my exact current location if I'm not within sight/earshot of civilization lol.

I'm none at the moment. But is really something I should carry. Not that I hunt far from civilization. But I don't know any of the neighbors near by where I am at. I have phone service if it's bad, but taking my kids more it is good idea. I think I will be looking into it more.

I have a kit I put together, it includes an Israeli bandage (thanks @Red Beard ), a tourniquet, gauze & tape, and a few other items.

Something else I bring that has not been mentioned is super glue and butterfly bandages. I have many times avoided a trip to urgent care for stitches by super gluing and bandaging a nasty laceration.

I carry a very small and basic kit with me most of the time. It’s primarily a few bandaids, gauze pads, some disinfectant wipes and some butterfly bandages. It’s come in handy a few times over the years. Clean it up, cover it up and keep hunting. It’s smaller than my milkweed pouch.

I’m almost ashamed of my answer “none”, but the last few years I only hunt 100-300 yds from my house on my own property. It’s not a good thing to carry no first aid, but an emergency whistle and extra ropes are all the emergency kit I carry now. When I hunted public land, I carried a pretty decent pre-assemble kit, never used anything but the alcohol wipes and tweezers (fortunately). I will pick one up before the next time I hunt public land, but for now I’ll depend on my wife being home while I’m hunting critters in the “back yard”.

I have a kit I put together, it includes an Israeli bandage (thanks @Red Beard ), a tourniquet, gauze & tape, and a few other items.

Something else I bring that has not been mentioned is super glue and butterfly bandages. I have many times avoided a trip to urgent care for stitches by super gluing and bandaging a nasty laceration.

I listed a single-use liquid Krazy Glue, and my AMK .5 kit has 2 butterfly bandages, but for extended outings I carry .9 kit (with additions including 2 packs of the myMedic ZZips). I always could use TP and/or a compressed [tablet] towel and electricians tape, which are one me in my ditty bag kit and/or kill kit. Almost all my cuts to date, while hunting, are while cleaning an animal lol.

I keep a basic kit for nicks and minor stab wounds incurred during gutting. I keep telling myself I should get a tourniquet and/or trauma kit but the fact of the matter is if I'm gravely wounded I will most likely pass out and die before I wake up.

I have a very extensive backcountry hunting truck/camp kit that I built out. Also have a smaller field kit including trauma kit with gauze, bandaids, quickclot, z-zips, tourniquet and Israeli bandage that lives in my pack. I've also built out a similar small kit that lives in my truck at all times.

Would rather have the stuff on hand and never need it than need it and not have it.

I always have at least a TQ, QuikClot gauze, and a pressure dressing at a minimum. I‘ll dial it up as needed depending on what I’m doing. My kill kit has some small bandaids, skin glue, and antiseptic wipes for when I (almost inevitably) cut myself dressing a deer.

In addition, I have a North American Rescue aid bag in my truck and added some extra “boo-boo” type stuff to the bag to cover the more normal, day-to-day injuries/ailments.

TQs are way too cheap for me to have to say someday “man, I wish I had one, maybe that guy wouldn’t have bled out.”

Just as important as having the gear is getting some training on how to use it. I highly recommend attending a “stop the bleed” class at a minimum, lots of places offer them (often for free). Keep your stuff, especially TQs, somewhere you can access them one handed and with either hand and stage your TQ properly. When you’re bleeding out and need to self-apply isn’t the time to be digging through your pack, peeling the plastic off with bloody hands, and trying to screw around with the Velcro because you didn’t stage it in advance.

Back