• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Saddle Kill - 2 Years Running... So Worth It!

ibanezfreak4

Sep 24, 2020
Wanted to share my score with the forum and provide some encouragement with those who may be setting up, saddling, then freezing yourself crazy with limited whitetail success. Lesson #1: be patient and be strategic.

Brief background - I started my hunting endeavor at 33 years old in 2019 when I felt it was a skill and desire that was inside of me since being a kid. For context, my dad whenever I had asked to learn his answer was "you know you have to gut it once you kill it right?". In a not so subtle way that was my father projecting his disgust with blood and guts to my curiosity of the desire to hunt animals. Fast forward to 2019, I got my hunter's license in Michigan surrounded by a bunch of 12 year olds who had dads who loved the sport. On opening day, I killed a decent size 6P on opening day with my 450 Bushmaster and was hooked. Later that year, hunting with a bow and archery in general interested me deeper with the amount of skill and stealth required. I picked up a used Bowtech General and began improving the skill, shot placement, and knowledge about good/bad shots with whitetails.

2020 rolled around and I have some friends who are passionate about it and taught me a ton throughout my endeavors. Earlier in the year, purchased a Hawk Helium Saddle as a minimal but effective initial investment for me to start with. This way of truly having a 360 degree opportunity on a deer and a minimalist way of setting up on the majority of trees in the woods was an awesome idea to me.

Long story short, 2020 and 2021 combined I had maybe 2-3 opportunities on a deer even with access to some large properties with decent food and water sources. Choosing my tree and location was something that I really just guessed at and thought I knew enough about where deer might be moving. This led to several very cool encounters with whitetails and none of them as calculated opportunities to drop one, they would have all been forced and I did not want my first experience on a whitetail to result in a risk to injuring them versus dropping them. Lesson #2: find a hunter/friend who know how to identify doe/buck paths, rubs, bedding, etc. and scout/setup proactively.

This year, I used some of the scouting skills my friends had taught me to setup at a junction/transient area for an overpopulated area of deer in West MI where my good friend has 30 acres. My first sit I saw 14 deer and shot at a doe at 18 yards with my 20 pin. Bright red muscle blood on the ground hitting high and bumped her with my buddy's tracking dog about 300 yards away from the shot later that day. Discouraged - no recovery.

Saturday I had some time for a 3H redemption sit before family soccer day. A weird looking 8P rolled in randomly at 20 yards and was too young/small to harvest. 30 seconds later, I hear footsteps and had my bow ready. A 13 yards and a total of 15 seconds in my shooting lane I saw an 8P, larger body, and good looking buck. I drew, paced with him, put my 20 pin on his vitals, then slightly dropped it, and let it fly.

He went 25 yards, took 3 huge huffs and sat straight down on the ground, dead. Lesson #3: don't rush, be ready, remember what you've learned, and methodically execute.

My goal of this post is for those novice hunters out there who might be feeling discouraged that your opportunity has not arrived yet. In West Michigan, there are some very territorial hunters out there, but overall the community is great for teaching/learning and better the skill of the hunt every year for ethical harvesting of deer. It took me 2 years to have that opportunity on a buck like that, this required significant patience and strategic placements of the gear and the arrow. Lesson #4: never stop learning and continuously improve your hunt.

If this post encouraged one person on this forum, it was a success. This sport has become an intrinsic passion of mine and I'll be the first to admit that I'm hooked . There is no feeling like this out there and saddle hunting is one of the greatest ways to get out and enjoy nature/hunting.

Thanks for the read!

Attachments

• IMG_9295_small.jpg
    IMG_9295_small.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9294_small.jpg
    IMG_9294_small.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9293_small.jpg
    IMG_9293_small.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 105

Holt

May 13, 2017
Congrats! Way to stick with it. Bow hunting definitely has its ups and downs. But the best bow hunters all have the same thing, a drive and passion for it. Keep going and good luck on the next one!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ibanezfreak4

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
Oct 30, 2019
Brunswick, Maine
Thank you for the write up. I'm happy to hear you have discovered what has been a passion of mine for a very long time. Congrats on the buck too! Looks a lot like the one I shot a couple of weeks ago.

ibanezfreak4

Sep 24, 2020
Thanks crew for the feedback! I had no idea if "the story" in the way it was told would resonate or make sense. But that's the awesome part of hunter communities, I have never been a part of a more inclusive (overused societal term) and encouraging group of individuals.

Y'all rock, keep on the hunt and thanks for the encouragement!

ibanezfreak4

Sep 24, 2020
I was 32 at my hunters education class.....I smoked all those pimple kids.

5 years to kill first deer and 6 years for first public land deer....

I knew I wasn't alone... Thanks for sharing and congrats on the journey.

A question for you specifically and others: does the drive and passion stay constant for you? Asking because my wife is a hunter as well and has. harvested some awesome deer. We have 3 kiddos (8, 5, and 3) so time is precious. Most of my hunts are in the morning and honestly at the beginning of the season I was wavering on my drive to get out there. Glad I pushed through... Curious your thoughts :cool:

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
The drive is there, but like u, family stuff dictates time in the woods. Early season is rough for sure but the way majority of public works here is u got a lottery system and if u get drawn the dates are set...normally u get 3 days so gotta take what's given and get after it....got 3 kiddos like u also. We can only take does in archery or 1 weekend in Nov on private so I hunt archery season as much as possible to increase my chances of a kill. Muzzleloader and general gun I don't get as excited for, but I love to hunt small game season with my son and easier to get my wife out there once it's cooled off and the bugs aren't as bad.

ibanezfreak4

Sep 24, 2020
The drive is there, but like u, family stuff dictates time in the woods. Early season is rough for sure but the way majority of public works here is u got a lottery system and if u get drawn the dates are set...normally u get 3 days so gotta take what's given and get after it....got 3 kiddos like u also. We can only take does in archery or 1 weekend in Nov on private so I hunt archery season as much as possible to increase my chances of a kill. Muzzleloader and general gun I don't get as excited for, but I love to hunt small game season with my son and easier to get my wife out there once it's cooled off and the bugs aren't as bad.

Love it, thanks for the context. We are blessed to even get out there with growing families like ours, so I make every sit count when I can.

And I hear you about gun season, I'm in the same boat even though I'm equipped for it just not as exciting. Michigan flips so quickly once gun season rolls around, and probably similar to other states. We have Oct. 1st - Nov. 14th to bow hunt exclusively, then the whitetails go into hiding :tearsofjoy:. In West Michigan, we are seeing a real problem with overpopulation though. I see more deer on the side of the road then in the back of people's cars... Waiting for the DNR to acknowledge this and make some changes to account for this.

To me, it's essential to begin encouraging our next generation to get out there, that is why this year was pivotal for myself and hear the feedback from the rest of the forum here as well.

Again, y'all rock and thanks @Weldabeast for the background again!

Fgirtyman

SH Member
Apr 24, 2022
Northwest Wisconsin
WEBSITE
flirtygirty.com
Wanted to share my score with the forum and provide some encouragement with those who may be setting up, saddling, then freezing yourself crazy with limited whitetail success. Lesson #1: be patient and be strategic.

Brief background - I started my hunting endeavor at 33 years old in 2019 when I felt it was a skill and desire that was inside of me since being a kid. For context, my dad whenever I had asked to learn his answer was "you know you have to gut it once you kill it right?". In a not so subtle way that was my father projecting his disgust with blood and guts to my curiosity of the desire to hunt animals. Fast forward to 2019, I got my hunter's license in Michigan surrounded by a bunch of 12 year olds who had dads who loved the sport. On opening day, I killed a decent size 6P on opening day with my 450 Bushmaster and was hooked. Later that year, hunting with a bow and archery in general interested me deeper with the amount of skill and stealth required. I picked up a used Bowtech General and began improving the skill, shot placement, and knowledge about good/bad shots with whitetails.

2020 rolled around and I have some friends who are passionate about it and taught me a ton throughout my endeavors. Earlier in the year, purchased a Hawk Helium Saddle as a minimal but effective initial investment for me to start with. This way of truly having a 360 degree opportunity on a deer and a minimalist way of setting up on the majority of trees in the woods was an awesome idea to me.

Long story short, 2020 and 2021 combined I had maybe 2-3 opportunities on a deer even with access to some large properties with decent food and water sources. Choosing my tree and location was something that I really just guessed at and thought I knew enough about where deer might be moving. This led to several very cool encounters with whitetails and none of them as calculated opportunities to drop one, they would have all been forced and I did not want my first experience on a whitetail to result in a risk to injuring them versus dropping them. Lesson #2: find a hunter/friend who know how to identify doe/buck paths, rubs, bedding, etc. and scout/setup proactively.

This year, I used some of the scouting skills my friends had taught me to setup at a junction/transient area for an overpopulated area of deer in West MI where my good friend has 30 acres. My first sit I saw 14 deer and shot at a doe at 18 yards with my 20 pin. Bright red muscle blood on the ground hitting high and bumped her with my buddy's tracking dog about 300 yards away from the shot later that day. Discouraged - no recovery.

Saturday I had some time for a 3H redemption sit before family soccer day. A weird looking 8P rolled in randomly at 20 yards and was too young/small to harvest. 30 seconds later, I hear footsteps and had my bow ready. A 13 yards and a total of 15 seconds in my shooting lane I saw an 8P, larger body, and good looking buck. I drew, paced with him, put my 20 pin on his vitals, then slightly dropped it, and let it fly.

He went 25 yards, took 3 huge huffs and sat straight down on the ground, dead. Lesson #3: don't rush, be ready, remember what you've learned, and methodically execute.

My goal of this post is for those novice hunters out there who might be feeling discouraged that your opportunity has not arrived yet. In West Michigan, there are some very territorial hunters out there, but overall the community is great for teaching/learning and better the skill of the hunt every year for ethical harvesting of deer. It took me 2 years to have that opportunity on a buck like that, this required significant patience and strategic placements of the gear and the arrow. Lesson #4: never stop learning and continuously improve your hunt.

If this post encouraged one person on this forum, it was a success. This sport has become an intrinsic passion of mine and I'll be the first to admit that I'm hooked . There is no feeling like this out there and saddle hunting is one of the greatest ways to get out and enjoy nature/hunting.

Thanks for the read!
It took me 5 years bowhunting to kill my first buck. Mister tuff guy here. When I found it after trailing it for 3 hours I cried like a baby. Never forgot it never will. Congrats to you!!

ibanezfreak4

Sep 24, 2020
It took me 5 years bowhunting to kill my first buck. Mister tuff guy here. When I found it after trailing it for 3 hours I cried like a baby. Never forgot it never will. Congrats to you!!

Thanks for sharing @Fgirtyman, tears in a scenario like that is totally normal. I'm confident your personal 'toughness' is not defined by your emotional response to a truly emotional experience.

The coolest part to me about hunting is the amount of adrenaline your body is trying to harmonize while you make the call to take the life of a wild animal. No feeling like it in the world...