• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First time in spurs

PAhunter90

8989a0a87fbff567535de96e5ff234e9.jpg

First time in tree spurs today and was absolutely stunned at the ease of climbing. Was admittedly apprehensive to use but just kept thinking 25 feet in a minute or less! Y’all have converted another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footwork is on point. Well done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Awesome! Just be careful not to climb to vertical, your odds of gaffing out increase. Have fun and climb safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's when the spikes slip out of the tree while standing or climbing with tree spikes. This called cause a fall or even a issue where you could spike yourself. That's why while using spikes, keep locked to the tree.
I've buried a spur to the base in my leg once. Not pretty. Unfortunately I had just hand sharpened them and they cut like a hot knife through butter. I don't think I've ever bled as much before or since.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I
I've buried a spur to the base in my leg once. Not pretty. Unfortunately I had just hand sharpened them and they cut like a hot knife through butter. I don't think I've ever bled as much before or since.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'll be taking my time and watching my feet no doubt!

Do you use these on private or does MD public allow them? I know on some other thread a guy said the local warden or whatever said he was ok with them, was that you? I hunt all public and if it's one of those things where it's illegal by the book but everyone does it without repercussions, like leaving their friggin treestands up for decades, I am not missing out. I've been known to drive over the speed limit and roll through a stop sign from time to time.

Do you use these on private or does MD public allow them? I know on some other thread a guy said the local warden or whatever said he was ok with them, was that you? I hunt all public and if it's one of those things where it's illegal by the book but everyone does it without repercussions, like leaving their friggin treestands up for decades, I am not missing out. I've been known to drive over the speed limit and roll through a stop sign from time to time.

Not sure about your state. But it’s not legal in mine. It does do damage to the tree. I tore up my pine tree in the back yard. Hope it doesn’t get disease and die. It’s a pine and the bark is pretty thin. Thicker bark trees you should be ok. I thought about changing to pole spikes. (Not as long) to keep damage to a minimum. I’m not a tree hugger but I do not want to kill the trees I need to kill deer lol

Haven't hunted with them yet but will use on private for sure. Can't find anything more specific in the MD regs.

The damage-to-tree debate is interesting. There are trees I climbed last year, that you'd never know if you walked to them today. They're are guys on this forum, whom I trust, that have anecdotal evidence spanning 20-30 years suggesting spikes, as a general rule, won't kill the tree or seriously damage it. Then there are others who completely disagree with equally compelling evidence.

I generally only climb the same tree once or twice. If I was hunting the same tree multiple times, I'd use a different method.

HYOH.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I think I'm that guy. I can't find it written anywhere that I'm not allowed to use them on some of the public land I'm hunting on. I contacted the local office responsible for these particular areas and was told to have at it. They had bigger problems that concerned them more than me climbing a few trees with spikes. Up here we have a ton of guys cutting trails for their ATV's and building permanent stands. It's literally the Canadian way to hunt: cut a trail with a chainsaw to "a good spot", build a stand out of 2"X lumber 10' tall and hunt it til you get lucky.

Don't forget to crush a pint or two along the way eh!

Hi Babshaft,
Where are you again?
Fawnzy

Back