• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Folding saw? Silky Pocketboy Outback vs Bahco Laplander

bigbuck247

I have a cheapy hme or hunter specilaty folding saw that is good but very flimsy and takes forever to cut anything over 3+ inch thick. Looking at a newer nicer saw and have narrowed it down to either a bahco laplander or a silky pocketboy outback due to both have coated blades. Any experience with either saw?

I can't speak for the Silky Pocketboy, but my Dad and I both have Silky Zubats, and they are AWESOME. Best hand saw I've ever used.

I've got the Silky Pocketboy curved blade. It makes quick work of anything I need it for and packs up plenty small enough for my dump pouch.
130 or the 170? This is the main thing holding me back on the pocketboy outback it is the 170 and not sure if that is too big for what I want to carry on my saddle but I was the coated blade 1 for the durability and 2 for the decreased reflection it has compared to the plain blade.

Do you recommend medium too thin the pocket boy for general tree limb cutting?

Excuse my 2 thumbs. Was supposed to say medium tooth for general tree limb sawing.

I can't help with a comparison - because I have no experience with the Bahco Laplander. Having said that, you won't be disappointed with a Silky saw - they are incredible! Like @Topdog, I prefer the 170mm, but with curved blade and large teeth. It cuts through limbs almost as fast as a chain saw and folds up to a very compact size. For me, it's a way better choice than the 130mm because it's capable of tackling bigger limbs for a very small increase in size.

Do you recommend medium too thin the pocket boy for general tree limb cutting?
I’m pretty sure my favorite is the large tooth, for dead dried out hardwood a medium tooth would probably be better, these things cut so good I’m not sure it makes much difference. Last season my Gerber saw broke and almost got my hand, so I had a hand saw fetish briefly and ended up with all those you see in the picture, but I always grab the 170 Pocketboy the most, great saws!

I have a cheapy hme or hunter specilaty folding saw that is good but very flimsy and takes forever to cut anything over 3+ inch thick. Looking at a newer nicer saw and have narrowed it down to either a bahco laplander or a silky pocketboy outback due to both have coated blades. Any experience with either saw?
I’ve got a ton of experience with hme folding saws and I like them because it also counts as an upper body workout when you use them. I’ve only injured myself about 15 times with that saw too which is pretty good I think.

Have the silky pocketboy and it is awesome.
Rips thru anything within reason.

Back