• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Found a shed, then saw the buck.

Matty

So the other day I was out scout/hunting an area I had never been.

As I'm making my way through a section that looked very promising on the maps, I come across a fork horn shed. 1.5 year old deer and last years shed, so didn't think much of it. Stuck it in my pack and eventually found an area I couldn't pass up....so I decide to setup.

A little while later a nice fork horn buck is chasing a young doe around. They come right past me and offered a few easy shots, but he's too young. Then it hits me... This is the buck that shed the antler I found.

I found his shed from last year, then saw him that afternoon, I thought that was pretty neat.

Here is the shed:

Here is the buck a year older:

This morning I found a fresh shed from one of the nicer bucks I passed this year. So some bucks are dropping here. Hope he makes it the rest of the year, he'll be nice next year!

side by side comparison:

Not being confrontational, just curious how you know the shed you found us from the buck you saw?

That is a pretty cool looking buck. 2 sheds already huh. I'm only hunting still because the season is still open. I have more of an itch to scout right now...

jtkratzer said:
Not being confrontational, just curious how you know the shed you found us from the buck you saw?

There's always a possibility it's not his...and maybe I'm assuming too much, but the side I found was as identical a match to the buck I watched for a little while as I can imagine, just a slightly smaller version. The buck and the shed have a little bump where most would grow a G3 and neither had a brow tine. It was also much easier to see all the similarities in person and not from a picture....The shed literally looked like a smaller reproduction of the bucks current antler. Now deer from a given area can often have similar antler traits, so again it might not be his, but let's not ruin my cool story OK? lol

The shed was also within about 60 yards of where this buck was running all over and he actually came from the bedding area where I found it. (surprised he didn't catch my ground scent, but I think the doe had him too distracted) So with the identical shape and proximity, I'm pretty confident it's his.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time. I did put two cams out in the area, so if I get a bunch of fork horns running around, I'll know it's not the place to be. lol

Red I hear you.

I'm always torn at the end of the season too. I actually wish our deer season would close sooner so I could just focus on scouting but we go until like what, Feb. 20th? Crazy...

That's why I'm scout/hunting as much as possible. I bring as little as possible (though it sometimes ends up being more than just hunting) and I only hunt if it looks awesome and I feel like a monster could step out. Otherwise I just keep moving and scouting until I run out of light or energy.

I wasn't expecting to find any fresh sheds yet, but there have been a few guys around my areas finding them already, so watch out for pepperoni heads.

That's really cool!

I'd like to be out scouting but the snow and cold is no bueno. I'll likely have to wait until spring.

Matty said:
Red I hear you.

I'm always torn at the end of the season too. I actually wish our deer season would close sooner so I could just focus on scouting but we go until like what, Feb. 20th? Crazy...

That's why I'm scout/hunting as much as possible. I bring as little as possible (though it sometimes ends up being more than just hunting) and I only hunt if it looks awesome and I feel like a monster could step out. Otherwise I just keep moving and scouting until I run out of light or energy.

I wasn't expecting to find any fresh sheds yet, but there have been a few guys around my areas finding them already, so watch out for pepperoni heads.

I've had some sundays already where I just went scouting new areas rather than hunting. Found some very promising spots so it was worth it. I'm looking for antlers if I'm out there but if I do decide to take another doe I'll make sure she's just a plain pie.

Not trying to ruin your story, I would just expect a fork last year to possibly be a 6 or 8 the following year, barring bad genetics for antler growth.

Are my ears deceiving me? Complaining about more deer season? I only wish our deer season would go into Feb. 20th. You guys must have all tagged out already. ;) My season ends Friday and with the flooding it's completely screwed all the deer travel patterns I would give a left something or other for an extra week now that it's cold and they're finally moving around looking for food in earnest. We scout here during deer season it's called squirrel and rabbit hunting. :D

DIYSaddler said:
Are my ears deceiving me? Complaining about more deer season? I only wish our deer season would go into Feb. 20th. You guys must have all tagged out already. ;) My season ends Friday and with the flooding it's completely screwed all the deer travel patterns I would give a left something or other for an extra week now that it's cold and they're finally moving around looking for food in earnest. We scout here during deer season it's called squirrel and rabbit hunting. :D
Lol. To be honest, by this time of the year I get burnt out. Season opens the 2nd week of September so its been going on a while now. I love hunting the early season and try to hunt as many days as I can through November. Once our gun seasons open up I start to lose motivation, get burnt out, and not to mention my wife gives me more grief for going than at the beginning of the season :lol:. Oh yea, and there is no tagging out really, we can shoot unlimited does in many areas. I have 4 in the freezer so that adds to it also.

Re: RE: Re: Found a shed, then saw the buck.

redsquirrel said:
DIYSaddler said:
Lol. To be honest, by this time of the year I get burnt out. Season opens the 2nd week of September so its been going on a while now. I love hunting the early season and try to hunt as many days as I can through November. Once our gun seasons open up I start to lose motivation, get burnt out, and not to mention my wife gives me more grief for going than at the beginning of the season . Oh yea, and there is no tagging out really, we can shoot unlimited does in many areas. I have 4 in the freezer so that adds to it also.
I have one doe in the freezer and my season ends tomorrow so I'm feeling totally pressured today. One more deer and I don't need to buy red meat until next deer season.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Who am I kidding... I just love being in trees. :D

3901f50b7e7b2723fddc37907265afe7.jpg

DIYSaddler said:
Who am I kidding... I just love being in trees. :D

3901f50b7e7b2723fddc37907265afe7.jpg

:thumbup:

Did I mention I now have a 3 month old too?? :lol: :lol:

Red,

Do you have your daughter wearing a scent loc onesie yet??? :lol:
Congratulations!!!! I have a 3 month old little girl also!!

DIYSaddler said:

Our season ended Jan 1, but for me ended Nov 16. I still run the trail cam just to see whats in the area, but I was burnt out long ago. I almost need to take a saddle modding break. :shock:

DIYSaddler said:
I have one doe in the freezer and my season ends tomorrow so I'm feeling totally pressured today. One more deer and I don't need to buy red meat until next deer season.

Wow why limit your taste buds like that? Beef taste so good, no way I would not buy it all year. 1 deer normally last me longer than I will admit, but this year I made hunter sticks and Im almost out already. :cry:

Hey is that a deer in the upper right corner of your picture? After Nov 15 deer dont frequent fields where I hunt unless somebody chased one across it.

kenn1320 said:
Wow why limit your taste buds like that? Beef taste so good, no way I would not buy it all year. 1 deer normally last me longer than I will admit, but this year I made hunter sticks and Im almost out already. :cry:

Venison is a staple food in our house. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow us to afford beef since my wife went on disability. Which is fine. I just had some three bean steak chili at work the other day from a vender we have pretty regularly after not eating steak for over two years. I have to say the the chili part was great but the whole time I was eating it I just kept thinking "wow, I wish this was venison instead of beef." Now beef tastes bland by comparison.
Ever have a venison backstrap from a yearling doe filayed to a quarter inch longways, topped with parmesan cheese and spinach, rolled, then wrapped in bacon, and rolled in cracked pepper. All I can say is amazing.

huck72412 said:
Red,

Do you have your daughter wearing a scent loc onesie yet??? :lol:
Congratulations!!!! I have a 3 month old little girl also!!

She's not in scent lok yet, but actually today she gets to wear her pink camo onesie! :D :lol:
Congrats to you as well! This is our first, so it is awesome and challenging all at the same time!!

DIYSaddler said:
kenn1320 said:

Venison is a staple food in our house. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow us to afford beef since my wife went on disability. Which is fine. I just had some three bean steak chili at work the other day from a vender we have pretty regularly after not eating steak for over two years. I have to say the the chili part was great but the whole time I was eating it I just kept thinking "wow, I wish this was venison instead of beef." Now beef tastes bland by comparison.
Ever have a venison backstrap from a yearling doe filayed to a quarter inch longways, topped with parmesan cheese and spinach, rolled, then wrapped in bacon, and rolled in cracked pepper. All I can say is amazing.

No cant say I have ever had it that way, but honestly you have to admit you could cut up the sole of your boot and wrap it in bacon and it would taste good. :lol: OOOOOOooooooooooo Bacon, wish we had a pig problem, I would be out hunting right about now. :cool:

Re: RE: Re: Found a shed, then saw the buck.

kenn1320 said:
No cant say I have ever had it that way, but honestly you have to admit you could cut up the sole of your boot and wrap it in bacon and it would taste good. OOOOOOooooooooooo Bacon, wish we had a pig problem, I would be out hunting right about now. :cool:
caad4289532de18473737c0189162265.jpg

ab0c6d9b5e5b76bc2d3cfc176707f9b7.jpg

Back