• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Frankenstein Saddle ( and related accessories )

odino

"Frankenstein" Saddle it's in gestational state ... :tonguewink:
too busy with work ...:triumph:
and so I go slowly with the progress ...:cry:

I thank everyone who has been inspiring here on the forum
even everyone who answered my questions, even though the answers were obvious.
@ckossuth , @Hunter814814 , @wayne r
A special thanks to @always89y for his very instructive videos for making a saddle.
A heartfelt thanks also to @g2outdoors for his very funny and equally instructive channel
for the various techniques of engagement from the saddle (I will treasure your advice).

In any case something is finally moving!

Screenshot_20200703_110800.jpgScreenshot_20200703_110833.jpgScreenshot_20200703_110903.jpg
The belt is almost ready ...
I just have to create a loop with a large elastic to collect the excess webbing once
worn and adjusted.

Thanks a lot to everyone!

Best Regards!

Dino

Another little step ... a piece of time stolen from the lunch break.
Screenshot_20200707_112435.jpg
I just sewed the elastic loop to collect the excess webbing
once worn and adjusted.

The next step will be to cut the cordura and sew the gros-grain all around its border.

Stay Tuned!

Have you calculated the breaking strength of your joints?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Have you calculated the breaking strength of your joints?
Not currently....:rolleyes:
it was just a test of stitching and I only went over the seams
twice and not three as everyone recommends.
As a thread I'm using Gutermann Tera 40 100% polyester.

At the moment the stich box is:
Side length : 70mm / 2 3/4 inch
Side width : 45mm / 1 3/4 inch
Diagonal length : 80mm / 3 5/32 inch
Single Stitch length : 2mm / 5/64 inch

Can you give me a hand in the calculations?
Sometimes I get lost :tonguewink:

This is the band that I am currently using with its features.
Cordlash 250 in polyester.
IMG_20200708_184941.jpg
Thanks for any tips.

Best Regards

Dino

Not currently....:rolleyes:
it was just a test of stitching and I only went over the seams
twice and not three as everyone recommends.
As a thread I'm using Gutermann Tera 40 100% polyester.

At the moment the stich box is:
Side length : 70mm / 2 3/4 inch
Side width : 45mm / 1 3/4 inch
Diagonal length : 80mm / 3 5/32 inch
Single Stitch length : 2mm / 5/64 inch

Can you give me a hand in the calculations?
Sometimes I get lost :tonguewink:

This is the band that I am currently using with its features.
Cordlash 250 in polyester.
View attachment 29901
Thanks for any tips.

Best Regards

Dino
Here is a video by Sailrite. Each lockstitch is basically 1.5X the breaking strength of the thread. I think Terra 40 is V69 polyester so 9 lbs, so 9 X 1.5 = 15. Number of stitches times 15 should give you the straight line pull strength of your webbing. Doubled over it should be twice as strong due to the pulley effect.
I calculate 192 stitches so times 15 lbs equals 2880 lbs. You went over the lines twice so 5760 lbs. People have warned against close stitching causing a rip along the dotted line effect. I questioned it on cloth but maybe I am wrong. I try not to go closer than 10 stitches per inch.
I just posted my one sewing machine doing this on the sewing resources thread sewing on many times folded newspaper.
You should check out the sewing resources thread on SH.

Last edited:
Ok, I have seen the video of Sailrite suggested several times ...

This is the result of the formula applied by an MBS (minimum breaking strength) of 9550 lbf.

Stitch per inch: 12,70 (each stitch is 2 mm, so about 13 stitches per inch)
Inches needed for sewing: 60.40 inches
Stitches required: 767.07
Sailrite-formula.png
To my immense amazement ...
I compared the calculations with what I had done by eye ...
The belt is NOT safe ... because I have to sew two more complete turns of thread to reach 9550 lbf of webbing capacity.

On the other hand, if we want to insure it for 2880 as you suggested, 232 stitching would have been enough.
So in my case for 2880 it is more than safe because it has 390 stitches.

When I have some time ...
I will try to do it with other parameters to achieve
the specifications of the webbing.

Attachments

• Sailrite Stitch Calculator.zip
    12.5 KB · Views: 6
Ok, I have seen the video of Sailrite suggested several times ...

This is the result of the formula applied by an MBS (minimum breaking strength) of 9550 lbf.

Stitch per inch: 12,70 (each stitch is 2 mm, so about 13 stitches per inch)
Inches needed for sewing: 60.40 inches
Stitches required: 767.07
View attachment 29906
To my immense amazement ...
I compared the calculations with what I had done by eye ...
The belt is NOT safe ... because I have to sew two more complete turns of thread to reach 9550 lbf of webbing capacity.

On the other hand, if we want to insure it for 2880 as you suggested, 232 stitching would have been enough.
So in my case for 2880 it is more than safe because it has 390 stitches.

When I have some time ...
I will try to do it with other parameters to achieve
the specifications of the webbing.
It is hard for me to decide at what level I feel safe. I used V92 Kevlar thread for my DIY Yellow Jacket saddle for maximum strength. The thread breaks at 30 lbf and I put in about 30 lines of 4 inch stitching @ 6 SPI. for a total breaking strength of 32,000 lbs. That feels safe enough for me. :D

This morning I cut out a few minutes and managed to cut he cordura fabric for the saddle.
Screenshot_20200710_172836.jpgScreenshot_20200710_172812.jpg
This evening, if I'm not too tired and my wife doesn't need a sewing machine, I'll try to make
the pleat and then sew the grosgrain.

Stay tuned...

Best Regards

Dino

Last evening, despite falling from sleep and fatigue, I forced myself to carry on the work a little...

So I went over the seams of the box stich of the belt...

IMG_20200711_231420.jpgIMG_20200711_231433.jpg
and sewed the two layers of the seat together...
now it's more than just grosgrain stitching...
then we will move on to the main webbing and all the rest.
IMG_20200711_214514.jpgIMG_20200711_214522.jpgIMG_20200711_214528.jpgIMG_20200711_231406.jpg

Last edited:
Well!
the grosgrain is in its place ... now let's move on to the rest! :tonguewink:
View attachment 30127View attachment 30128

Note the inside pocket for any padding for delicate butts (not mine) :tearsofjoy:
View attachment 30129
Soon u be the saddle guru of Europe and eveybody will want the OdinO saddle.

I like ur thinking on being able to add padding. My next diy attempt I was thinking of adding padding like the waist belts on higher end backpacks....

I like ur thinking on being able to add padding. My next diy attempt I was thinking of adding padding like the waist belts on higher end backpacks....
I suggest to add it just before the molle etc...
Because you lose too much space if you sew it with the first layer of the saddle.

Sorry for the late...
IMG_20210323_183221_cropped.jpg
but it's finally ready ;)

I know I know...
Too much work and less time they had me
led to delay completion.

The next steps ...

- Tether , Bridge and Lineman rope and a couple of Prusik Done! ( Usin Polyester Climbing Rope 9mm and 5.5mm for Prusik )
13/04/2021 : Udated with Dyneema SK78 ( Amsteel )
+ 6mm for the Bridge full bury Brummel Lock.
+ 4mm infinity loop full bury Brummel Lock for Prusik/Schwabisch.

- Steps to go up like the W.E.I. Stepp Ladder Done!

- Minimal platform like W.E.I. The Perch

and finally he will be free from the same and tedius the ground
blinds with all their problems of the case.

Best Regards!

Dino

Last edited:
It is hard for me to decide at what level I feel safe. I used V92 Kevlar thread for my DIY Yellow Jacket saddle for maximum strength. The thread breaks at 30 lbf and I put in about 30 lines of 4 inch stitching @ 6 SPI. for a total breaking strength of 32,000 lbs. That feels safe enough for me. :D
The problem with Kevlar is two fold, one is it is way more abrasion resistant than polyester or nylon so if loaded it won’t stretch while they do and it weakens your webbing severely similar to why you wouldn’t use dyneema thread of nylon webbing. The second problem is while it has amazing heat resistant properties, Kevlar is not very good at handling UV degradation. So I wouldn’t accidentally leave it out in the sun or by the window for any long amounts of time. I use traditional polyester thread (V138) when machine sewn spaced around 1/8” (7 to 8 SPI). The formula is 21 mbs x 1.5 loop configuration for lock stitch x 7 (being conservative because it could be 8) gives 220.5 mbs per inch sewn. So a small 1.5” by 1.5” box stitch would not give me piece of mind with an 18 kn buckle. I’m a little funny with that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Back