• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Freezer went out

IkemanTX

Well, found out this morning that are chest freezer went out sometime in the last couple days. I just got done with a trip to the dump with what was too far gone to risk.

Ended up losing all of this year's ghost pepper and Serrano pepper crop (that was about a week away from turning into a fermented sauce), lost all but 6 or 8 pounds of venison (out of probably 100lbs), about 30 pounds of beef, 200 crappie filets, 2 whole salmon, and the last of the trout we caught on vacation. Talk about a kick in the gut.

I've got what was still frozen in a new 4' cooler with 3 big blocks of dry ice until we can figure out where to put it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks! :( I feel your pain. I lost most of my bear meat when the freezer it was in died on us.

Man I feel you. We bought an igloo chest freezer new and it died less than two years after we bought it. Luckily we keep almost all our frozen veggies and the dog training ducks in there. They kept us from loosing our deer. Now we have a used chest freezer and I'm always paranoid about it going out. Sometimes your home owners will pay to replace the food and the freezer in those circumstances.

The biggest thing I'm disappointed in is that this freezer is vintage and I don't know how difficult it will be to have someone fix it... the model number is no longer on the freezer, but it is a late '40s or early '50s Leonard Chest Freezer
18bb6e6e32c82763509274bc435b55c1.jpg

I was looking forward to working with a painter buddy of mine and restoring it next year. I think that if I can repair it for the cost of an equivalent size new freezer, I'll keep it. It may be a good excuse to go ahead and get the exterior restored as well.

The biggest thing I'm disappointed in is that this freezer is vintage and I don't know how difficult it will be to have someone fix it... the model number is no longer on the freezer, but it is a late '40s or early '50s Leonard Chest Freezer
18bb6e6e32c82763509274bc435b55c1.jpg

I was looking forward to working with a painter buddy of mine and restoring it next year. I think that if I can repair it for the cost of an equivalent size new freezer, I'll keep it. It may be a good excuse to go ahead and get the exterior restored as well.

Might just be something as stupid as the thermostat. When my freezer went out the second time it was as simple as replacing the thermostat. $40 part

Might just be something as stupid as the thermostat. When my freezer went out the second time it was as simple as replacing the thermostat. $40 part

They stopped making the parts for this fridge about 45 years ago though... so, hopefully a part can be retrofit.

They stopped making the parts for this fridge about 45 years ago though... so, hopefully a part can be retrofit.
Parts haven't really changed much since the 50s so hopefully you can just change out the connector types.

Man I hope that's all it is!

This reminds me they have alarms to alert you when the temperature rises in a freezer. So you'll know if it dies or a fuse blows way before food is spoiled. I need one too!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This reminds me they have alarms to alert you when the temperature rises in a freezer. So you'll know if it dies or a fuse blows way before food is spoiled. I need one too!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ya, just looked into prices. Not too bad as insurance.

FYI the new chest freezers go for $150-200. They are so energy efficient nowadays too.

FYI the new chest freezers go for $150-200. They are so energy efficient nowadays too.

Ya, but the old ones just look so cool!

Also, this freezer pre-dates defrosting settings, so it is actually quite efficient. It typically only cycles on about 10 minutes an hour.

Ya, but the old ones just look so cool!

Also, this freezer pre-dates defrosting settings, so it is actually quite efficient. It typically only cycles on about 10 minutes an hour.

I agree, the old ones are pretty awesome looking

Sounds like its real efficient now, never cycles on. :D I don't think there is a lot to go wrong, so hopefully they can fix it for you. Sometimes its just dirty coils. Gonna be $100 just to get somebody out to look at it. New ones are cheap now days, but if you like the old one, ya like the old one.

Back