• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Girth hitch your tether

BCHunter

Vendor Rep
No need for castration bands or going through twice, just girth hitch it to end the slide.
a9b2651784b948894f22fbbbb74d0b21.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

So haven't grabbed a rope yet, but seems in my head this only works on spliced or sewn ropes. The knot would not allow the loop to be big enough to fish a Ropeman thru. Funny I use this on my finger sling for my bow, but never occurred to use it on my tether.
So for those wondering...put your index finger and thumb up in loop. Turn them outward and down to grab both halfs of the loop. Pull up and you formed 2 loops, one on your finger and other on your thumb. Put together and work them till they are big enough to get your Ropeman or prusik through.

I can't wait to get home and try this. My go-to is the double wrap around the tree with a biner. This cuts extra rope but more important I think would be easier to adjust.

So haven't grabbed a rope yet, but seems in my head this only works on spliced or sewn ropes. The knot would not allow the loop to be big enough to fish a Ropeman thru. Funny I use this on my finger sling for my bow, but never occurred to use it on my tether.
So for those wondering...put your index finger and thumb up in loop. Turn them outward and down to grab both halfs of the loop. Pull up and you formed 2 loops, one on your finger and other on your thumb. Put together and work them till they are big enough to get your Ropeman or prusik through.
It will work on any rope (if I read your post right). Tie a girth like you described, then reverse engineer it so you can tie it using the free end over the end where the prussick/rope man is. Like any hitchance that is tied around a pole, instead of forming it and slipping it over. Or not. Just my opinion. I would ensure the free end was long enough not to slip back through. Or tie a stopper knot.

I've played with doing that before, but just don't personally experience much trouble with tether slide. Only time it was really a thing is when I was hunting from a platform and could fully unload the tether.
Yeah, I don't usually do it either, but we always get the question on here. Thought I would share.

Yeah, I don't usually do it either, but we always get the question on here. Thought I would share.

I saw Ernie do de same thing at Saddle palooza last year. I had completely forgot about it so thank you for reminding me. Since switching to a two-in-one lineman's belt and tether and hunting off of a platform anytime I unload my tether it tends to move a bit so I believe this will help fix that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I get trigger
I saw Ernie do de same thing at Saddle palooza last year. I had completely forgot about it so thank you for reminding me. Since switching to a two-in-one lineman's belt and tether and hunting off of a platform anytime I unload my tether it tends to move a bit so I believe this will help fix that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I get tether slide on my lone wolf because I use a rock harness. Used to use a 1/4 Amsteel prussick to hold the tree rope tight (bungee with a lace lock worked also). Now that I'm moving to a saddle, nice to see so many options. You guys are definitely white wizard s.

Back