• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gloves and Thumb Buttons

Rickster

I’m probably setting myself up for problems later on but I’m looking at switching from my wrist-strap trigger release to a thumb button.
My question is “Can you use a thumb button with gloves?”
Thanks for your input!

I do. I shoot all year with my winter gloves on to keep the feel the same. Even in summer. I just have a second pair the same as my hunting gloves.
It's important because gloves/ no gloves changes your anchor point slightly. IMO

It has to be pretty darn cold for me to wear gloves while I'm on the stand. I use a hand muff and it keeps my hands warm until I need to reach for my bow. Even a light weight jersey glove will work well with most releases and they'll keep your hands super warm inside a hand muff. :cool:

Depends which gloves. Would highly Recommend fingerless wool gloves for use with any handheld release.
Thumb dexterity/sensitivity will be critical for having consistent preload, so at a minimum I’d want that digit exposed.

It has to be pretty darn cold for me to wear gloves while I'm on the stand. I use a hand muff and it keeps my hands warm until I need to reach for my bow. Even a light weight jersey glove will work well with most releases and they'll keep your hands super warm inside a hand muff. :cool:

Same here. I used to use a hand muff with a 1 or 2 hot hands inside. Now, I typically just stick a hot hands super warmer in each jacket pocket and just keep my hands in the pockets. If you hold onto the hot hands to tight/long, then they will stop working and it helps to take them out of the pocket and give them a shake to get oxygen to the chemical.

A glove changes the release feel and fit and anchor to the point where you have to do what @Samcirrus (use them all the time and build your setup and shot around the gloves) does or just roll the dice and hope for the best.

I've never had any noticable difference with light liner gloves. I practice with them some every year though just to double check. I wouldn't be at all comfortable with any sort of heavy glove. I think a light glove with a hand muff when you need it is the best option.

I may just need to quit being a wimp? But man, I’ve had those late October evening sits when the temps drop from the mid-upper 50s to the mid-low 30s while sitting on an oak flat and the next thing you know a deer starts feeding in so you reach for your bow.
30 minutes later you’re still waiting for it to get broadside and now your fingertips feel like they’re frostbit!

Back