• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

gotta practice more...

xtacleone

I have to start practicing from in a tree.

What distance do you guys practice shooting? Here is my 55.5 yard shooting, I will shoot almost everyday at 20 30 40 50 and 60 yards.
I use the Square Up from CT Archery to help me stay on point.

In this video you will see that my second shot was horrible, I bumped a fence I was standing next to. I considered editing out the bad shot, but decided it was better to leave it as a reminder to myself how I can make mistakes in a tree stand.

https://youtu.be/WUQvPWifrwk

I only shoot out to around 20 yards so I will practice up to 30 in my yard. Definitely make sure you get some practice time shooting in your saddle because it may take some getting used to.

I practice all year just because I love bows. I have targets at distances up to over 100 yards if shooting from ground/blind and up to 60 or so from different trees.
But since I switched to ambidextrous long bows, my longest shots at game so far have been well under 30 yards. Except one bad shot last year with recurve which I took at 32-34 yards and accidentally killed a yearling instead of the large deer I was trying to shoot. Trad bows shoot much slower than compound.
One guilty conscience and a couple months of the most delicious meat later, I'll never shoot that far with trad bow again

Yes, I am definitely going to practice with the saddle, I just got my Guido's Web two days ago. I haven't had a chance to set it up.

I am shooting out to sixty yards so that I can be a razor at 30 yards. Cameron Hanes has an interesting insight on ethical shooting. He says to shoot at half your longest practice distance. I am confident shooting out to 40 yards though.

I love shooting distances out to 100 for fun and work on machanics. Practice at 70 alot because I want to be able to connect at 35 and closer.
Practice from your gw as much as possible and especially to your right (if right handed) side (2-4 o'clock) & opposite if you are a lefty, that's tough to get used to.
Good luck

I only shoot out to around 20 yards so I will practice up to 30 in my yard. Definitely make sure you get some practice time shooting in your saddle because it may take some getting used to.

x2
plus shooting from an elevated position changes some things regarding arrow flight. The saddle does require some getting used to especially because your facing the tree and due to the bridge/tree tether. It is not entirely different than shooting from a conventional tree stand IMHO however it will require some practice. Xtacleone your from CT? I thought I saw you on the CTbowhunting forum!! Im outta East Hartford and hunt the northeastern section of the state.

I love shooting distances out to 100 for fun and work on machanics. Practice at 70 alot because I want to be able to connect at 35 and closer.
Practice from your gw as much as possible and especially to your right (if right handed) side (2-4 o'clock) & opposite if you are a lefty, that's tough to get used to.
Good luck

ahh good advice Autumrider, I am a righty, I will defiantly practice the 2-4 o'clock position. My gun club has a robust 3D target setup that is near some trees that will let me practice I am going to put some hours in this week.

x2
plus shooting from an elevated position changes some things regarding arrow flight. The saddle does require some getting used to especially because your facing the tree and due to the bridge/tree tether. It is not entirely different than shooting from a conventional tree stand IMHO however it will require some practice. Xtacleone your from CT? I thought I saw you on the CTbowhunting forum!! Im outta East Hartford and hunt the northeastern section of the state.

I hear you MCDM, I am anticipating crawling a bit before I feel like tarzan in the trees, I hope to have the bugs worked out in the next two weeks.

Also, yes, I am in CT - New Haven. I bought your bow a while back, the Regulator, I am assuming you are the same MCDM, how are you man???

O
I hear you MCDM, I am anticipating crawling a bit before I feel like tarzan in the trees, I hope to have the bugs worked out in the next two weeks.

Also, yes, I am in CT - New Haven. I bought your bow a while back, the Regulator, I am assuming you are the same MCDM, how are you man???

Oh yeah a few years ago now I remember. I see you got a newer rig. If you need anything man on setting up let me know. Just take some small steps and go at your own pace. Safety first but if you need help with your setup let give me a hollar

O

Oh yeah a few years ago now I remember. I see you got a newer rig. If you need anything man on setting up let me know. Just take some small steps and go at your own pace. Safety first but if you need help with your setup let give me a hollar

Yeah man, I would love to get some tips. If we can make some time I would buy you a tasty beverage of you choice. Glad to see you on here!

Yeah man, I would love to get some tips. If we can make some time I would buy you a tasty beverage of you choice. Glad to see you on here!

Yeah no problem man. I know right now my work load is crazy. I only have like 3 days off between now and the opener so its gonna be tough to find free time. But I do want to help if I can especially since we live in the same state and from two different parts. Probably putting two heads together would be better than one LOL! I will stay in touch not too many saddlers in this state.

Yeah no problem man. I know right now my work load is crazy. I only have like 3 days off between now and the opener so its gonna be tough to find free time. But I do want to help if I can especially since we live in the same state and from two different parts. Probably putting two heads together would be better than one LOL! I will stay in touch not too many saddlers in this state.

I hear you MCDM, I am in the same boat as you. Never enough time.We should at least have a post season beer!

Back