• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gut Hook

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
What have you guys used and like/dislike?

I have a set of knives that live in my pack but I think it will save me a bunch of time in the field to keep a stainless skinning tool.

I have a benchmade rescue hook/strap cutter that I got at great deal. Sharp as sin. Gerber also makes one you can find pretty inexpensive.

I use the gerber strap cutter. It's small and light. I forgot to use it on my deer the other night and got hair everywhere when butchering even though I thought I was cutting inside out. I guess I was rushing to get it in the cooler.

Buck Varguard, little slit, add 2 fingers, blade edge up between fingers...I keep it scapple sharp.

Had a hook blade, and it didn't go as well as I thought it would.

1698969263240.png Only downfall is the wood handle get slippery when bloody, I use surgical gloves, so not so bad.

Last edited:
I just put my finger on the tip of the knife inside the belly cavity and let the belly of the knife unzip the abdomen without cutting into the guts because my finger is on the point.

Gut hook is poorly named as that is the last thing you want it to do.

I have a benchmade rescue hook/strap cutter that I got at great deal. Sharp as sin. Gerber also makes one you can find pretty inexpensive.
Hook 10 from Benchmade is like made for purpose but they discontinued it few years ago.

Gutless method most times. If not, scalpel with my index finder on spine of the blade and a dull tip blade
I should explain that I haven’t gutted a deer in about 5 years. I do just as you but am wondering if the poorly named “gut hook” is any advantage. I’m looking for more speed and less hair.

still need it for heart and liver even when gutless unless someone can educate me otherwise. i am up for some learning pls

still need it for heart and liver even when gutless unless someone can educate me otherwise. i am up for some learning pls
I haven’t tried the liver but it takes only a minute to get the heart. Cut around 2 ribs, it’s easy.

I don’t mess with the liver but, you can get the tenderloins out easy & the heart takes 2 small cuts where the ribs meet the sternum & you can spread & go in for the heart… ( liver to while you’re in there.

I should explain that I haven’t gutted a deer in about 5 years. I do just as you but am wondering if the poorly named “gut hook” is any advantage. I’m looking for more speed and less hair.
I've wondered about a carpet hook blade in a utility knife. They are very sharp and easily changed. I never like a gut hook knife because it's tough to sharpen unless it's a replacement blade...

Back