• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Had to do a fast emergency rappel out of my tree this morning.

Glad your fiend is ok. But that was a pretty risky thing for an unproven system on a line with a low melting point. So you're going to retire the bailout line now right?

Glad your fiend is ok. But that was a pretty risky thing for an unproven system on a line with a low melting point. So you're going to retire the bailout line now right?
It wasnt uproven.
In the Marine Corps we were issued quite similar set ups as ultra light rappelling kit. We trained on them & we ended having to use them a couple times. We got kevlar string, two GI carabiners and some GI flat rope (solid woven 1" webbing) to tie a swiss seat harness with.
I was familiar and experienced with such a set up. The 4mm dyneema accesory cord is fine. Dyneema melts @ 297* F. When something is in the neighborhood of 158* its too hot to touch for a split second.
When I got to the ground the carabiner I had done the wrap on was nice and warm but I held it in my bare hand easily and with no discomfort. The cord will be hanked up and ready for another just in case event.
YMMV.

Back