• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Harbor Freight has amsteel

MettBriler

I was cruising through Harbor Freight and found this in the winch section.
https://www.harborfreight.com/ATVUTV-Synthetic-Rope-Fairlead-Kit-63139.html
Working load 3000lbs
Tensile strength 4700lbs
50ft long and 3/16" diameter 12 strand
It seems to be very close to amsteel blue 3/16

Ended up being $30 out the door and I'm going to give it a shot for a rope mod on my heliums, I might even use some to swap my webbing bridge out on my sitdrag

It’s not amsteel, it’s amsteel-like

Some guys have used some similar eBay rope with success

I’m not willing to trust my safety to
knock-off discount rope from HF or eBay tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm going to get that sweet towing hook and test it out on my bridge.

Thats polyethylene rather than amsteel/dyneema

It’s not amsteel, it’s amsteel-like

Some guys have used some similar eBay rope with success

I’m not willing to trust my safety to
knock-off discount rope from HF or eBay tho

I understand your skepticism, I'm going to test it out in the yard before I deploy it in the field. And I figured it was a copy of amsteel in a cheaper material.

I understand your skepticism, I'm going to test it out in the yard before I deploy it in the field. And I figured it was a copy of amsteel in a cheaper material.

The issue is not what the rope is rated for. The issue is the quality control, and what standards and certifications the manufacturer must adhere to. You won't be able to figure out through your yard testing whether or not these standards have been met. And if they haven't, you won't be able to determine when/if the rope may fail in the applications your using it in.

Do what you like, everyone likes to save a buck. But I would think long and hard about trusting non rated/certified rope in a life support application.

The issue is not what the rope is rated for. The issue is the quality control, and what standards and certifications the manufacturer must adhere to. You won't be able to figure out through your yard testing whether or not these standards have been met. And if they haven't, you won't be able to determine when/if the rope may fail in the applications your using it in.

Do what you like, everyone likes to save a buck. But I would think long and hard about trusting non rated/certified rope in a life support application.
That's a good point to think on, I'll try it on the bottom stick in the field, I'll stick with the tried and true webbing bridge since I know it's rated and tested for 4500 pounds

I couldn’t agree more! The threads that are based in cheap life rated gear scare me..... I also love to catch a deal on gear but there are a few areas that I just won’t up my risk factor & this is one of them. But at the end of the day it all comes down to personal level of acceptable risk. If you’re asking for advice or best practices, I’d test out their return policy & get something that’s already had the testing done.........

That's a good point to think on, I'll try it on the bottom stick in the field, I'll stick with the tried and true webbing bridge since I know it's rated and tested for 4500 pounds

Good job on keeping an open mind and listening to suggestions

We’re here to learn and help each other improve skills and stay safe

Can’t go wrong with climbing rated webbing

Good job on keeping an open mind and listening to suggestions

We’re here to learn and help each other improve skills and stay safe

Can’t go wrong with climbing rated webbing

An open mind is the only way for knowledge enter, and after testing it in the tree at home, I'll stick with some 3/8 accessory cord for the rope mod as the 3/16 causes the stick to slip far too much, but this stuff should make decent cordage for whipping aider step or tying the sticks to my pack.

An open mind is the only way for knowledge enter, and after testing it in the tree at home, I'll stick with some 3/8 accessory cord for the rope mod as the 3/16 causes the stick to slip far too much, but this stuff should make decent cordage for whipping aider step or tying the sticks to my pack.

So for rope mod most guys can use static 8mm but find 7mm too much stretch

This is where amsteel-blue really shines because most use 1/4” which weigh a couple oz, very strong, almost no stretch, super compact but not cheap

Back