• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Has anyone tried this 2tc method?

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
I haven’t tried his method yet because it requires you to make it and it uses a lot of stuff I don’t have. I am also cheap and didn’t want to spend $100 on rope for a 2TC set up. Cheap and simple is what I like about 2TC.

I do appreciate his set up though and it is clear it works for him. I included some of his newest videos in the 2TC Video Playlist, you check out some of his other videos, he goes in depth on how to make his tethers. I would check out his newer videos because he has made some changes to his system.

A couple things that I do like about his system is that he is tied in to each tethers at all times and he has foootloops on each tether. I also like his rope stiffener that allows him to move the tether up easily. I like how he uses the step method to easily progress up the tree. I don’t like how bulky and busy his system is. I have made various similar 2TC systems but I always come back to simple and compact. I would like to build my own 2tc that allows for an easier progression of the tethers so that you can walk up the tree like he does but I want to have it in a system that is still low bulk and not too busy. I haven’t found the perfect set up yet but plan to work on it in the off season. Try out the different methods, you may find one system suits you better than others. As simple as 2TC is, there is still a ton of diversity in how you configure and climb your system.

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
I’m actually just now watching this full video but this is a lot lot lot more busy than his current system and that is saying something. The mechanics are the same though. I believe all of his hitches are tied and live on the tethers of his new system but I haven’t watched that video in a while.

Reactions: tailgunner

John 35

May 19, 2021
Seems needlessly complicated compared to just using a set of sticks. I also wonder how he would fare in trees with lots of branches, trees that lean, trees that fork, rough bark trees ect. Seems like he’s gonna end up hunting for the right tree and not the right spot. He did scoot right up that thing once he finally got set up though, that part was pretty cool.

CooterBrown

SH Member
Sep 1, 2020
Seems needlessly complicated compared to just using a set of sticks. I also wonder how he would fare in trees with lots of branches, trees that lean, trees that fork, rough bark trees ect. Seems like he’s gonna end up hunting for the right tree and not the right spot. He did scoot right up that thing once he finally got set up though, that part was pretty cool.
Looks like a great tree for a regular ol climbing stand.

Reactions: BTaylor and John 35

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
His system has you connected at both tethers so going around limbs is fairly quick and very safe. His newer iteration sets up quicker from what I’ve seen. Leaning trees will be the same difficulty as any other method from my experience.

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Sep 11, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
I think the more I watch different climbing system videos the more it reinforces using a simple safe method. If this is your thing great. I just can’t imagine going through all that to climb a tree to kill deer ( one sticking is pushing the edges of fussiness for me, I tolerate it on occasion b/c it serves a purpose & is kinda fun) I love to tinker with gear & systems to help perfect my process but nearly as much as actually hunting…… just think if you had 4 sticks or 3 plus an aider

John 35

May 19, 2021
His system has you connected at both tethers so going around limbs is fairly quick and very safe. His newer iteration sets up quicker from what I’ve seen. Leaning trees will be the same difficulty as any other method from my experience.
I much prefer something solid under my feet on a leaner as I want to stay on the high side. I prefer multiple sticks over techniques involving multi step aiders and various tether climbing stuff. I’ve found that with any sort of rope step gravity makes keeping myself on the high side difficult. With out question I think the best way to climb a leaner is bolts/screw ins if you take away the legal aspect.

Reactions: GeoFish

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
I much prefer something solid under my feet on a leaner as I want to stay on the high side. I prefer multiple sticks over techniques involving multi step aiders and various tether climbing stuff. I’ve found that with any sort of rope step gravity makes keeping myself on the high side difficult. With out question I think the best way to climb a leaner is bolts/screw ins if you take away the legal aspect.
Bolts or screw ins are very solid no doubt about that.

Reactions: John 35

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Aug 21, 2020
Westminster Maryland
I think the more I watch different climbing system videos the more it reinforces using a simple safe method. If this is your thing great. I just can’t imagine going through all that to climb a tree to kill deer ( one sticking is pushing the edges of fussiness for me, I tolerate it on occasion b/c it serves a purpose & is kinda fun) I love to tinker with gear & systems to help perfect my process but nearly as much as actually hunting…… just think if you had 4 sticks or 3 plus an aider
Yeah, at first I was impressed by his actual climbing, but 3 sticks with aider just seem easier. I been one sticking because I went minimalist, but with my plan to use a POPUP28 all of next season, carrying another 2 sticks does not seem that much more of a burden. I dont subscribed to the importance of speed, but I could of been up in the tree already before he finish setting up on the ground. What I do place as important is less hassle, because I'm the weakness link in the system, less for me to mess up in, the better.

2Sloe

SH Member
Feb 2, 2021
Virginia Beach VA
AOL
s3gator@aol.com
I’ve watched several of his videos and find some aspects of his system intriguing, that said, there’s just too much going on there for me personally. Probably wouldn’t be such an issue with lots of practice setting the system up, although they don’t come more experienced than him and it seemed to take forever….granted it is a demo video and he was going slow for the benefit of the viewer, which is good because some of his other videos he goes so fast you can’t see what is going on.

All in all, I’m glad it works from him and I’m sure there are people out there who have adopted it and are happy with it so kudos to him. I’m going to give 2TC a try when it warms up a bit and I really like the adhesive shrink wrap on the ropes to stiffen them up. Actually thinking about adopting that for one sticking.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
He starts climbing at 3:30 and is at 20 or so feet at the 15 minute mark and his system is pretty complex. I can be set up and climbing at about one minute 30 seconds from walking up to the tree and be 20+ feet in a little over 5 minutes on a straight, basketball sized tree with a very simple and lightweight 2 tether system. I wish I could post videos on here.

Attachments

• 2TC wma set.jpg
    2TC wma set.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2TC 2.jpg
    2TC 2.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Samcirrus

drpike22

Jan 13, 2023
New Jersey
I gave it a modified try today and with a little practice it looks like a usable system to add to my arsenal. I said arsenal, I hope the FBI isn't monitoring) I went with the very basic setup and simply added a long foot loop to my upper tether above my Gri Gri. below my girth hitch around the tree. Having a foot loop on both the upper and lower tether ropes made it easier for me to advance up the tree. I did not use all the knots he used but did add a ropeman 1 to mt lower tether to make adjustment easy. I will keep practicing and see how it progresses. I don't see much savings as far as weight is concerned except for not carrying a stick. I can always use my sticks or one stick if it doesn't work out. Time will tell. I have a good time trying out different techniques.

Reactions: NMSbowhunter

Lazy_trucker

SH Member
Jan 27, 2023
West Monroe,La
Interesting idea I wonder how long before your feet start hurting from standing on those small straps? I would think a full shank boot would be needed to distribute the weight.

Samcirrus

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Apr 14, 2020
Interesting idea I wonder how long before your feet start hurting from standing on those small straps? I would think a full shank boot would be needed to distribute the weight.
Yep, using a CGM or similar sized footloop makes 2TC so much more comfortable, IMO...without a 4" footloop I wouldn't 2TC.

Reactions: BTaylor

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
It takes me 40 seconds to set up slow and start climbing.and with the right technique its as easy as walking to the kitchen.im startind to feel like a d!<k for not making a video to show people how simple it is.when you figyer it out every thing else is useless deadweight.
Make a video and I’ll add it to the 2TC Playlist. Do you ever have any trouble climbing those slimby mossy trees out there?