• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Have y’all ever had this happen?

Cajunshooter

I was about 20’ up a tree, everything was very quiet. Then I catch out of the corner of my eye something fly up in the tree above and behind me at about 7 o’clock. Crows had just started moving around so I assumed it was probably one of them but I felt like something was starring at me. So slowly I turned and saw this. I seriously thought this sucker was going to attach me before I chased it off.
8a7addaf2815b1e1c5039ef98857f466.jpg

23f8b058b7f8f5da823f6d218be680e7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. For some reason it happens to me the most when it's dark on an am sit. There I am in my not quite awake trance and they screech making me jump.

Yes first time was just a week ago might have been the scariest moment of my hunting career... dude lands like 5 ft from me and keeps moving his head around like a bobble head like he was sizing me up!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I have had that happen. Had turkeys over this morning. LOL. Not in season. Always the case.

A # of years ago. Had a Hawk swoop down and stole a dove decoy off a telephone wire. My daughter got a kick out of that.

I seriously think this owl saw my camouflaged head turning on a swivel up in that tree and was moving in for the kill, until I waved at it.

I’ve had hawks and owls take aim at head and hands on several occasions. If I see it coming I incite it until the last second. When I don’t see it coming I try not to piss my pants

I once had one following me for a good half mile after dark hootin' away as if he was pissed or something. Never did figure out why but it did make me a little jumpy I'll admit.

My wife and I were sitting in a stand one morning and had one light a few trees over. I started lip-squeaking at it to make it turn our way. He obliged, and was doing his little head bobbing routine. Wife loved it. I kept squeaking.

When he finally broke and started swooping our way...

Let's just say I was happier about it than her. ;) Said something about me being an instant-gator or something like that. I think she makes up words when she gets excited.

Yup, I had one land in the tree next to me without me seeing it. Then it wooted ant scared the life out of me.

I once had an owl land in a tree about 20 yards in front of me. He commenced to, umm, evacuate his bowels. I’m not sure what he ate, but that owl had more in him than I thought possible. He just kept going!!! Then he flew my way and landed about 6 feet above my head on a branch. After a silent few seconds, I looked up to see him leaning over glaring down at me from above. My first thought was, “How cool, he must have thought my head was breakfast.” My next thought was, “Oh no! What if he’s not done pooping!?”

I quickly flailed my arms at him to scare him off.

Another funny story, I sat one evening watching the sun go down over one of my dad’s beautiful food plots with a pond. Beautiful scene. There was a rabbit in the field munching, and I couldn’t help but be filled with a sense of peace. Then the biggest owl I’ve ever seen swooped down, grabbed the rabbit and took off with the shrieking rabbit in its talons. May sound weird, but it shook me up a bit! LOL!

I once had an owl land in a tree about 20 yards in front of me. He commenced to, umm, evacuate his bowels. I’m not sure what he ate, but that owl had more in him than I thought possible. He just kept going!!! Then he flew my way and landed about 6 feet above my head on a branch. After a silent few seconds, I looked up to see him leaning over glaring down at me from above. My first thought was, “How cool, he must have thought my head was breakfast.” My next thought was, “Oh no! What if he’s not done pooping!?”

I quickly flailed my arms at him to scare him off.

Another funny story, I sat one evening watching the sun go down over one of my dad’s beautiful food plots with a pond. Beautiful scene. There was a rabbit in the field munching, and I couldn’t help but be filled with a sense of peace. Then the biggest owl I’ve ever seen swooped down, grabbed the rabbit and took off with the shrieking rabbit in its talons. May sound weird, but it shook me up a bit! LOL!

I know, hearing a rabbit scream like that is a really weird feeling. I had one start screaming like that one morning before the sun came up. I couldn’t see what was happening but it pretty well weirded me out.

I have had both owls and hawks make runs at me while in the tree. Luckily they've always figured out their mistake before actually grabbing my hat.

Many, many years ago in my youthful exuberance I was hunting after hours on a snowy night over a large bait pile and found myself sharing my tree in the dark with several owls also overlooking the bait looking for mice.

Back