• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helium mods...why not Muddy?

Thill

I love all the videos/pics of the mods guys are doing to their hawk helium sticks, but it looks like most of the mods being done result in a muddy "look a like" stick.
I am really considering getting rid of my lone wolf sticks because I would much rather have two steps at each level instead of one. When I look at my options I consider buying the heliums knowing I will cut them down and add the rope mods or buy muddy sticks that are already sized right and come with a great rope system. 1 20" muddy section is 2.5 lbs, 1 30" helium stick is 2.8 lbs .
Why go through the time and $ modifying the heliums when muddys are available?
What am I missing?

i honestly like the muddy sticks feel like they are one of the best out there. could be a little bit lighter but a lb or 2 extra is not gonna kill me. only mod i did is use two aiders on the bottom two sticks.

And most guys cut them 24" instead of 20"

The step distance is 19.5 inches. The i beam is 22 inches long, total with the steps folded up are about 26. The way the cutouts in the i-beam are laid out, that is pretty much the dimensions you have to go with.

They are pretty cool in that there are some really efficient ways to stack them that make them more compact than the ubiquitous piggyback style. I played around with it a lot and this method is as compact as I can get them, two stacked facing each other, and two stacks side by side sort of nest nicely together then I use a strap to keep them secure. I don't think 4 sticks could possibly stack any better, certainly not the non-folding varieties.

Capturestacking.JPG

Last edited:
I appreciate the responses! There is a pro shop in town that carrys both models so I'll stop by and check them out first-hand. Thanks for the insight!

The step distance is 19.5 inches. The i beam is 22 inches long, total with the steps folded up are about 26. The way the cutouts in the i-beam are laid out, that is pretty much the dimensions you have to go with.

They are pretty cool in that there are some really efficient ways to stack them that make them more compact than the ubiquitous piggyback style. I played around with it a lot and this method is as compact as I can get them, two stacked facing each other, and two stacks side by side sort of nest nicely together then I use a strap to keep them secure. I don't think 4 sticks could possibly stack any better, certainly not the non-folding varieties.

View attachment 5308

Total weight here? My 4 muddys are well over 12 lbs with aider and longer ropes.

Are Heluims they way to go? Bass Pro has them for $100 for 3 and i got a gift card. How high will them get me?

heliums are built so well and seem bulletproof. rope mod on versa buttons is the ticket

Are Heluims they way to go? Bass Pro has them for $100 for 3 and i got a gift card. How high will them get me?

So many variables...
3 unmodified sticks right out of the box, without aiders, about 12 or 13 feet
single step aiders can boost that up to 18ish. Double step aiders maybe 22-24 range.
Your mileage will vary based on how much you space out the sticks.

The common modification, to cut the down to a two-step stick as in my photos above, with a 19.5 inch step distance, you lose about 8 inches per stick from the stock version.

So many variables...
3 unmodified sticks right out of the box, without aiders, about 12 or 13 feet
single step aiders can boost that up to 18ish. Double step aiders maybe 22-24 range.
Your mileage will vary based on how much you space out the sticks.

The common modification, to cut the down to a two-step stick as in my photos above, with a 19.5 inch step distance, you lose about 8 inches per stick from the stock version.

Do you cut it down just to shed weight?

Is there a thread on adding an aider to these and how to do it?

9.5 lbs on muddy aerolites plus 1 aider gets me to about 22- 23 feet- aerolites have individual folding steps and stack pretty decent. only thing i wished they had a versa button instead of a pull strap- any one done a mod on the aerolites?

Back