• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello From Massachusetts

Peterk1234

I have posted a few times here already but hey, it is never too late for an introduction :)

I am fifty years old, and have been bowhunting on and off for almost twenty years. I shoot a Bowtech Old Glory. It is a 2005 bow, but I really enjoy the longer ATA. Maybe one day I will try one of those new 30 inch bows.

I had a great hunting spot for years. It was across the street from my house, probably twenty acres or so between a bunch of houses. Nobody ever knew I was there, including the deer. I had them patterned perfectly. I just needed three afternoons in a row to hunt because they cycled through every few days. Well, this is Massachusetts and I lost the place to a development. I was so pissed because it is very hard to find places to hunt around here. To say the people here are nuts is an understatement. I took a few years off after the loss of my spot.

I read about saddle hunting about ten years ago but never really considered it. Seemed a bit extreme for me at the time. Then I recently stumbled onto this site and realized that not only is it not extreme, it is probably the safest form of hunting from a tree. I also am realizing that I really need mobility. My season so far has consisted of moving three stands around every week as I try to zone in on my prey. It has been much fun, and I am getting closer, but what a pain in the ass. Example, I just moved a stand today to a really perfect spot. Major trail, big scrapes. A buck even grunted to me as I was setting up. He was really hoping I was a doe in heat. It is set up for our prevailing winds, west/northwest. I look at the weather for the week........easterly winds. Are you kidding me? Again, I need mobility really bad.

I have been reading a lot on this forum and making a list of what to buy in the Spring. I am not going to attempt to saddle hunt this year. The goal is to spend the summer practicing hanging, climbing and setup. I want low weight, high mobility and versatility.

Pete

Welcome fellow masshole...
What part of mass are you in?

I am in Chicopee...

Back