• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello From Twin Cities MN

Tracker15

Hey everyone..My name is Rick and I'm new to the forum. I've been reading "creeping" on the forum and digesting tons of info over the last week or 2 and just wanted to thank you all for the informative threads and videos. A little bit about me. I'm an avid bowhunter primarily chasing whitetails. My typical setup has been lonewolf stands and sticks over the past 10 or so yrs. I don't hunt leases or pay to hunt anywhere everything I do is typically through knocking on a door or through hunting public. This yr was a good yr for me. I was able to arrow a nice buck in Iowa on my father inlaws land and I also was able to shoot an old buck in North Dakota on public land. Public land hunting is definitely the most rewarding hunts for me, so I've been trying to research on how I can do it better. How can I carryless and go farther kind of stuff. One of my favorite kills was from 2 yrs ago when i decided to hunt Iowa and do it all DIY and hunt only public. I used a canoe and went into some far out of reach spots and it ended up paying big time. I was able to shoot a nice 10 and I video'd my buddy kill his first buck a 130" on public. The reason I am looking at hunting out of a saddle is I think it will help break me from sitting in preset stands too often. I think it will help me go farther, hunt new spots and hunt the freshest sign. Really looking forward to learning more from you guys and again I appreciate all the help.

What I've already bought wk 1

Sit Drag "Special"

Ernie's Kit and the xop brackets and seat

11mm static rope and 1" webbing for bridge, rope mod'd my sticks

What I still need to buy (feel free to add things I'm missing) Rockman 1 ascender, prusik cord, Rock Harness

Iowa 2016

Iowa Public 2014 Public (Me)

Buddies 1st buck on same trip

North Dakota 2016 Public

Fantastic deer and great photos as well. That first Iowa pic almost looks like a studio shoot. Very nice camera work.

Welcome to the club. You're going to love it!

Great deer, great photos. I love it when guys take the time to take excellent hero shots. It makes a huge difference.

As far as gear is concerned, you're on the right track.

For your SD, I'd sew on a belt and some molle loops. The belt is VERY important for climbing and walking. I'd also add a couple of dump pouches, 1 on each hip. on my right hip I carry my tether/carabiner/Ropeman for hooking up to the tree. On my left hip I carry my bow/gear hanger and a couple odds and ends.

Good luck and keep at it. You'll find that saddle hunting adds an element of fun to the hunt that you just don't get with standard tree stands.

G2 I've watched your YouTube vids on sitdrag multiple times. Love it. Send some links for pouches and materials for modification would you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site Rick! Congrats on all of those beautiful bucks! Very impressive! My general advice would be to make sure you give saddle hunting a fair chance, it is not something most fall in love with overnight. It is very different than anything you are used to, so you need to give yourself time to adjust and get comfortable. If one piece of your gear doesn't work for you, there are other options so swap it out. In the end, saddle hunting is very personal so you have to put in the time to experiment and find the equipment that works for you and how to set it up so that you are comfortable.

Also, I'm sure this was just a typo, you want the ropeman1. I don't think you'll find much if you go looking for the rockman1 :p

For the dump pouches I bought these on ebay. I've used at least 5 or 6 different pouches and these are by far my favorite. There's no velcro and no zippers. PERFECT!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Milit...hash=item339054b9ec:m:mYK34xXqiz6uxX--SFKrdlA

For the molle loops I used an old 1" ratchet strap I had lying around the garage. On my video I only showed one row of loops at the top of the SitDrag. Since then I've gone back and added a second row about 1 inch or so below. This makes attaching the molle dump pouch a LOT more secure.

For the belt I used the 1 3/4" brownish strap that came with the SD. I used these buckles from Milspec Monkey:
http://milspecmonkey.com/store/hardware-diy/339-austrialpin-cobra-buckle.html

Make sure you buy 1 male/1 female end.

I think that's it. Let me know if it doesn't make sense.

On the buckles do I need to buy one that is adjustable? Is this the size to buy?
092b8be23aed8e93c321c6d4f2acb9cf.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back