• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help with LW top dual step/platform build

JEEF

Due to my lack of machining capabilities, I'd rather stay away from a solid aluminum block as my top step for weight reasons but I still would like to have supple amount of standing space.

I really liked the idea from bowhunter15:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=1383&share_fid=104184&share_type=t

What I guess I'm asking is for any shortcuts you guys may know of, i.e. pre cut aluminum or any fellow saddlehunters that have machining capabilities would be able to work up for me. The space and size on bowhunter15's design looks like it would be perfect if accompanied with 2-4 ameristeps which I am in search of currently. I've been using Ernie's platform design for a couple years now but would like to simplify things down a little and give steps a go.

I have been a long time reader on this forum and you guys and your DIY mentality are truly motivating, I won't lie, going back to the old climber has been very tempting but someone on here will post something that motivates me to further invest time and money into saddlehunting lol. Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not sure if he is still using that top step like that. You could easily get a 1x2 piece of aluminum channel and drill out the holes (or not). His isn't a solid aluminum block. Or you could go with a piece of aluminum angle.

I actually didn't notice that he mentioned the 1/8" wall on his post... so I have this 1ft section on onlinemetals for $5, all it needs I suppose is a bolt hole for the factory center bolt and maybe a notch for the Allen head to prevent rotation? The square tube weighs 0.81 lbs/ft as compared to the feather weight of the folding lw step. Maybe I could buy the two sized carbide bits and access my drill press at work and reduce the weight as he instructed.

Is there another option I should seek out from hunters that have done this and know from experience that this option shouldn't be pursued? Would love to hear from bowhunter15 but I'm not sure how to tag people on here. Thanks.

There are many designs that I've seen over the years to accomplish the double step on the LW. I think it all depends on how much real estate you really need or want up there and how will it affect the stacking and packing?

There are many designs that I've seen over the years to accomplish the double step on the LW. I think it all depends on how much real estate you really need or want up there and how will it affect the stacking and packing?
I had the whole stacking thing in mind but if I only modify the top step of a single stick and put that stick at the top of the stack I don't believe there would be any issues. I found a metal supply nearby that I'm going to pick up a 10ft section for the same price of what 1ft online + shipping would've cost. I'll post pics of the finished product this weekend, hopefully it works out!

Wasn't there a post here somewhere where a guy used an extra lone wolf step to create a double step? Can't find it for the life of me.

Wasn't there a post here somewhere where a guy used an extra lone wolf step to create a double step? Can't find it for the life of me.
There is but me being 230lbs I fear the weight exceeding the capability of an extended 1/4" bolt. I made the rectangle step as mentioned prior but there is a slight amount of wiggle because the hole in the LW stick is slightly larger than the bolt. Although it wiggles, I jumped up and down on the far edge with no signs of stress on the aluminum so I'd say it's a success! I'll post pics tomorrow.

Never saw the post, but I did this exact same thing. Thought I was a genius when I was putting it together. The steps would fold up and open out just like they should. Then I actually tried it. I couldn't believe how much twist and flex it caused standing on them. Can't bring myself to really trust it.

If I could find this, but with a 1" square reciever I feel this would be perfect. A round tube wrapped in grip tape as a platform would be great I bet. Anyone else got an opinion on this? I coupler attachment is probably the way to go because the two screw holes is just not enough to really secure something there.
c221007f8c02032a7195b491383c8d82.jpg

I've tried numerous LW double step ideas over the years and while I have two that I currently use, none of them have been "ideal" to me. Also, I weigh a measly 150#. In my opinion, I would scrap the idea of standing on the top stick and just add one or two more Ameristeps......you'll be much happier and your feet will thank you!

one guy made sort of a double step by placing an extra lw step just below the top one with enough room for it to fold up....so its 3-4 inches offset. Probably the safest way to do it with lw steps.

or just get a hold of a muddy double step on the black market and drill out the LW stick hole a bit

IMG_5836.JPG

Just did this one on Friday, going to use for a “one stick “ method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one guy made sort of a double step by placing an extra lw step just below the top one with enough room for it to fold up....so its 3-4 inches offset. Probably the safest way to do it with lw steps.

or just get a hold of a muddy double step on the black market and drill out the LW stick hole a bit
You did see this post, right? Lots of guys putting one of these double steps on the top of their Lone Wolfs.
https://saddlehunter.com/community/...eps-for-diy-sticks-are-here.7838/#post-117921

Back