• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hind sight question for cross eye dominance

iamcorey

Shooting RH being left eye dominant. Physically unable to close left eye w/o help.

The Hindsight info claims to help shoot with both eyes open. I understand the parallax rationale, but are you still having to compensate left or right when not at the optimal distance?

The example they provide is line of sight from left eye meets line of impact from arrow at 40 yards. At 20, hold right x inches.

Currently, I’m shooting with an eye patch over my left eye. Good news it has helped clear up the peep (no more reading glasses). I’d like to trashcan the eyepatch ultimately.

Shooting RH being left eye dominant. Physically unable to close left eye w/o help.

The Hindsight info claims to help shoot with both eyes open. I understand the parallax rationale, but are you still having to compensate left or right when not at the optimal distance?

The example they provide is line of sight from left eye meets line of impact from arrow at 40 yards. At 20, hold right x inches.

Currently, I’m shooting with an eye patch over my left eye. Good news it has helped clear up the peep (no more reading glasses). I’d like to trashcan the eyepatch ultimately.
Can't answer your question directly but I think most people will advise you to switch to shooting lefty as the best possible long term fix. I'm the opposite, left handed but right eye dominant, taught myself to shoot right handed a few years back, the first few months were a little awkward but now it feels natural.

Also would recommend the ez-v bow sight over the hindsight of you're thinking about shooting two eyes open just because it seems to offer a more open sight picture, hindsight puts even more between your eyes and the quarry IMHO.

I honestly can't remember if I shoot with my left eye open or closed. I never consciously think about it. I'd have to go shoot my bow.

That said its not uncommon to shoot with both eyes open. Pistols are shot both eyes open. Quick shooting with a rifle (low power zoom or iron sights) also easily done with both eyes open.

Not saying it's easier for you, but it could be a possibility to train to shoot with both eyes open

You might consider " The Bow Anchor sight by Archery Innovations " to deal with cross eye dominance.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, and like you I can't close my left eye. So what did I do... I shoot left handed with my rifle, shotgun, and crossbow.

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, and like you I can't close my left eye. So what did I do... I shoot left handed with my rifle, shotgun, and crossbow.

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I shoot lefty with everything else as well. Exploring options with the RH setup I have before starting over with a LH bow.

I shoot lefty with everything else as well. Exploring options with the RH setup I have before starting over with a LH bow.
Another advocate for just switching over. Takes ~50 shots to get the body to stop thinking it's weird. If you already shoot lefty with everything else the transition may be easier.

I was in your same boat 35 years ago. My advice? Make the switch and shoot LH. It'll be Totally natural within a couple weeks. In fact, since your dominate hand is RH it's pretty easy. It does all the aiming. LH just draws the bow. Practice a Couple weeks and your muscles will be built up just fine. I taught myself to shoot a shotgun LH as well. That took a little longer but it's natural now.

Last edited:
I'm also cross dominant - right handed, left eyed. I shoot a shotgun left handed, and practice with a rifle both ways.

Just sitting here reading this thread, I really couldn't have told you what I do with my bow. I had to pick it up and try it out. I was kind of surprised to discover that I shoot with both eyes open. I momentarily close my left eye while I'm drawing until I reach my anchor point. As soon as my right eye focuses on the target through the peep, I open the other eye. I guess over the years I've unconsciously trained my right eye to take over. Had no idea I was doing that.

I used a hindsight during my compound years and it was very easy and natural to shoot both eyes open. No problem with a sight picture and could monitor the animal's movements quite well. So much better than a peep for me and my accuracy was the best I've ever had.

I'm also cross dominant - right handed, left eyed. I shoot a shotgun left handed, and practice with a rifle both ways.

Just sitting here reading this thread, I really couldn't have told you what I do with my bow. I had to pick it up and try it out. I was kind of surprised to discover that I shoot with both eyes open. I momentarily close my left eye while I'm drawing until I reach my anchor point. As soon as my right eye focuses on the target through the peep, I open the other eye. I guess over the years I've unconsciously trained my right eye to take over. Had no idea I was doing that.
I do the exact same thing but trained my right eye to take over like that on purpose.

Yeah ....i just force it too.even when i shingle eye to see if something is strait i still try to use my left at first then switch to the right force fully. But i am used to loosing fights with myself.i think i just squint à little with the left eye now like i am so close they will see it... open enough to see movement in my perifrials but dimbed enough to consentrait with the right.i think i look down a rifle the same way but shoot à pistol both eyes wide open

Last edited:
I have cross eye dominance and have always just shot everything both eyes open.
This sometimes works, so don't rule it out. It may be a matter of training your eyes//brain and some magic. I can do it with a bow much better than with a pistol. Wouldn't even try it with a shotgun or open-sight rifle, partly because I don't care enough about those to do enough of a trial to come to a decision.

I shoot everything, both eyes open but I have a red dot Holosun on my EDC pistol. Very easy to teach folks w/cross dominance to shoot both eyes open. You could try those new red dots on your bow but they are pricey. The dot helps put your focus on the target and not on the sight, like we were all taught.

Red dots for bows come and go. The lone survivor at this point is the descendant of some old stock, I believe, lol ...

The Garmin is interesting in a few ways, especially if you hate pins, but I don't call it a red dot.

Unaware if there is more than one company marketing a red dot archery sight today. There used to be a few. There also used to be a few mounting systems that you could use to jerry-rig any old red dot.

My sense is that the industry in general has abandoned the idea for the time being, and that you'll have to dig deep if you want to pursue it.

You have to make a conscious effort to use your right eye for months, to make it natural. I can now shoot with both eyes open

Make sure you use your right eye for everything you can. How I trained myself was to use my rangefinder with my right eye. You'll find yourself trying to use your left eye for things in everyday life (looking at something closer). Thats when it's important to use your right eye.

Just me, but I'd never switch from my dominant hand.

Back