• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hollow brand alpaca socks?

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
I'm not interested in a discussion about merino vs alpaca. I have both, I like both, but I just wanted to ask if any of you have tried these socks.
I have Altera brand and love them, but I just heard about Hollow brand and I wonder how they are.

I'm not interested in a discussion about merino vs alpaca. I have both, I like both, but I just wanted to ask if any of you have tried these socks.
I have Altera brand and love them, but I just heard about Hollow brand and I wonder how they are.

Used them this year in PA on the recommendation of @bowhunthard88. Usually I change out socks, but didn’t this time around and my feet stayed warm enough and dry throughout my time on stand in the 20s/30s, 200g boots. I hunt a couple miles in.

They got a bit fuzzy but no loss of cushion or tears.

I was gifted some for Christmas. I pair thick boot sock. 1 pair hiking socks (not too thick). 2 pair thin footies.

I really like them. I previously wore nothing but Darn Toughs and have worn the Hollow socks exclusively since Christmas. I have split time between the hikers and boot socks with the boot socks getting more run time. I just washed the boot socks for the second time, the hikers have been washed once. Both pair still feel like they did the first time I put them on.

The DT’s seem to hold more moisture and get crusty on the bottom after a few days. The Hollow do not get crusty. And they don’t stink. The DT don’t really ever stink either, but there is some aroma there after an extended wear. I have worn the boot socks 16 straight days without remorse, lol.

I’ve worn the boot sock inside my Beartooth 0gr insulation and haven’t had an issue with cold feet.

Bottom line? I really like the socks.

I haven't. I always buy Warrior Alpaca because they come in so many heights and thicknesses.

P.S. They have been very durable and good. I am very careful about washing and drying though.

Last edited:
I will add that I looked on Hollow’s website and got bombarded by emails. I hate that crap. So I passed word to my DIL that she could buy me the socks for Christmas and she could deal with the emails, lol.

I was gifted some for Christmas. I pair thick boot sock. 1 pair hiking socks (not too thick). 2 pair thin footies.

I really like them. I previously wore nothing but Darn Toughs and have worn the Hollow socks exclusively since Christmas. I have split time between the hikers and boot socks with the boot socks getting more run time. I just washed the boot socks for the second time, the hikers have been washed once. Both pair still feel like they did the first time I put them on.

The DT’s seem to hold more moisture and get crusty on the bottom after a few days. The Hollow do not get crusty. And they don’t stink. The DT don’t really ever stink either, but there is some aroma there after an extended wear. I have worn the boot socks 16 straight days without remorse, lol.

I’ve worn the boot sock inside my Beartooth 0gr insulation and haven’t had an issue with cold feet.

Bottom line? I really like the socks.
I'm really resisting this thread becoming a debate over merino vs alpaca. I have nothing against merino. I own several brands of merino. They are fine, but IME, alpaca are just better for me.
That being said, I just ordered a 1 pair of Hollow boot socks and a beanie.
Thanks for the input.

My GF gave me a pair for Xmas and I used them several times at the end of my hunting season. My thoughts:

Pro's:
-Very soft and comfortable sock
-Kept my feet warm

Con's:
-Need to be air dried
-Smelled kind of like they had some sort of fragrance on them which wasn't completely removed by scent free DDW laundry detergent.

Overall I like them.

David

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I'm really resisting this thread becoming a debate over merino vs alpaca. I have nothing against merino. I own several brands of merino. They are fine, but IME, alpaca are just better for me.
That being said, I just ordered a 1 pair of Hollow boot socks and a beanie.
Thanks for the input.

I was debating Marino vs Alpaca. I included my prior preference for reference.

Why do so many on this site ask a question then state they don’t want anything said outside of a boundary they set.

For instance, there’s a difference between; a) alpaca socks are great, but I find “type x” more effective and better due to (fill in the blank) and b) alpaca socks are great (the rest of the response is left off because the OP doesn’t want to hear it.)

P.S. I will not allow any responses to this reply except for those that proclaim my awesomeness, lol

I was debating Marino vs Alpaca. I included my prior preference for reference.

Why do so many on this site ask a question then state they don’t want anything said outside of a boundary they set.

For instance, there’s a difference between; a) alpaca socks are great, but I find “type x” more effective and better due to (fill in the blank) and b) alpaca socks are great (the rest of the response is left off because the OP doesn’t want to hear it.)

P.S. I will not allow any responses to this reply except for those that proclaim my awesomeness, lol
Ha, yes you are awesome.
I wasn't ripping on your response. I was actually trying to tell MYSELF to not morph my thread.
I've been around here for long enough to know how often threads turn into a comparison discussion when someone asks for opinions on a particular product.
Those discussions a fine but they often go completely off track.
I just wondered about Hollow socks.
If we want to talk alpaca versus merino, I'm in. But can we do it in another thread?
It's all good on my end.

Ha, yes you are awesome.
I wasn't ripping on your response. I was actually trying to tell MYSELF to not morph my thread.
I've been around here for long enough to know how often threads turn into a comparison discussion when someone asks for opinions on a particular product.
Those discussions a fine but they often go completely off track.
I just wondered about Hollow socks.
If we want to talk alpaca versus merino, I'm in. But can we do it in another thread?
It's all good on my end.

I’d love this discussion as I am a recent convert to wool and am wanting to explore alpaca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't. I always buy Warrior Alpaca because they come in so many heights and thicknesses.

P.S. They have been very durable and good. I am very careful about washing and drying though.

Hollow brand:
Our boot performance socks use 70% Premium Peruvian Baby Alpaca Fiber, 27% Nylon and 3% Spandex

Warrior Brand:
Our proprietary blend contains: 47% Alpaca Wool, 38% Acrylic, 9% Nylon and 6% Lycra©

Dahlgren Alpaca:
TOE, HEEL & WICKING CHANNELS:
55% MERINO WOOL / 27% NYLON / 18% ALPACA
BODY:
75% POLYESTER / 23% NYLON / 2% SPANDEX

I went with Hollow this time around due to the higher grade wool, higher wool content, and less spandex. I was aware this construction might result in a less durable product, but I had planned on always donning them at destination which would mean less wear and tear (while using other socks in transit). The potential improvement in warmth on stand was my focus with the Hollow socks. But I ended up wearing them as I forgot my Dahlgren Alpaca/wool socks, which are more of a performance oriented design for active use.

So far so good, but I can’t speak to many seasons of hard use. Nonetheless, I can say without question they’ve outclassed all others I’ve tried for warmth. I do have Buffalo Wool socks to try, but those nuckleheads sent me the wrong size of everything I ordered so they didn’t get used this season.

Hollow brand:
Our boot performance socks use 70% Premium Peruvian Baby Alpaca Fiber, 27% Nylon and 3% Spandex

Warrior Brand:
Our proprietary blend contains: 47% Alpaca Wool, 38% Acrylic, 9% Nylon and 6% Lycra©

Dahlgren Alpaca:
TOE, HEEL & WICKING CHANNELS:
55% MERINO WOOL / 27% NYLON / 18% ALPACA
BODY:
75% POLYESTER / 23% NYLON / 2% SPANDEX

I went with Hollow this time around due to the higher grade wool, higher wool content, and less spandex. I was aware this construction might result in a less durable product, but I had planned on always donning them at destination which would mean less wear and tear (while using other socks in transit). The potential improvement in warmth on stand was my focus with the Hollow socks. But I ended up wearing them as I forgot my Dahlgren Alpaca/wool socks, which are more of a performance oriented design for active use.

So far so good, but I can’t speak to many seasons of hard use. Nonetheless, I can say without question they’ve outclassed all others I’ve tried for warmth. I do have Buffalo Wool socks to try, but those nuckleheads sent me the wrong size of everything I ordered so they didn’t get used this season.
Thanks for posting those comparisons.
The only alpaca socks I've owned are Altera brand which I like a lot. But the Hollow socks have a much higher percentage of alpaca wool.
I'm eager to try a pair of Hollow and I'm hoping durability is acceptable.Hollow should be warmer than the Prevail socks but are they as durable? Time will tell.
I assume that the other materials that are woven into the sock is primarily for durability (and a little spandex so they don't sag). I notice the Hollow beanies 100% alpaca. I guess a beanie doesn't need as much durability built in like a sock needs. I ordered one of those too.I'm curious how well it'll cling to my head since there is no spandex in the weave.

Screen Shot 2024-02-20 at 8.06.29 AM 2.png

Thanks for posting those comparisons.
The only alpaca socks I've owned are Altera brand which I like a lot. But the Hollow socks have a much higher percentage of alpaca wool.
I'm eager to try a pair of Hollow and I'm hoping durability is acceptable.Hollow should be warmer than the Prevail socks but are they as durable? Time will tell.
I assume that the other materials that are woven into the sock is primarily for durability (and a little spandex so they don't sag). I notice the Hollow beanies 100% alpaca. I guess a beanie doesn't need as much durability built in like a sock needs. I ordered one of those too.I'm curious how well it'll cling to my head since there is no spandex in the weave.

View attachment 100016

Warrior has this to say:

But the beanie is a totally different weave. Don’t know if it will stretch over time, but mine still fits snugly. I just use it when walking my dogs though, and it hasn’t been wetted out.

Back