• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HOMEMADE PLATFORM FOR PRESETS

I made three treehopper tree suite knock offs from steel last season. Used one for mobile hunting and the other two for pre sets. Think they cost me ~$20 in material that made two complete platforms with some scraps for the third left over. Used expanded metal I had off an old hang on stand.

If you can weld its a viable option IMO

We made these. That general design is by far my favorite platform for private land.

This version is a bit heavy, mostly because it's overbuilt and we used chain. But they could be lightened up considerably by using amsteel or webbing instead of the chain.

Chain is nice because its critter and theft proof. Can't be chewed and can be pad locked to the tree.
These can be leveled on leaning trees.

The entire foot surface is totally usable...no vertical post like a lot of commercial stands. These will penetrate the bark so they probably are not legal on most public lands.

The design has been around for many decades. I've seen similar ones made from plywood.

One thing not shown in this pic is that there should be a safety cord that goes from the support rod to the platform to prevent it from "trap door" collapse.

Ive used these for 30 years without that safety cord and never had one collapse but they really should have the cord.
04f1de4292bb0c1a5d99b8b83389840b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

We made these. That general design is by far my favorite platform for private land.

This version is a bit heavy, mostly because it's overbuilt and we used chain. But they could be lightened up considerably by using amsteel or webbing instead of the chain.

Chain is nice because its critter and theft proof. Can't be chewed and can be pad locked to the tree.
These can be leveled on leaning trees.

The entire foot surface is totally usable...no vertical post like a lot of commercial stands. These will penetrate the bark so they probably are not legal on most public lands.

The design has been around for many decades. I've seen similar ones made from plywood.

One thing not shown in this pic is that there should be a safety cord that goes from the support rod to the platform to prevent it from "trap door" collapse.

Ive used these for 30 years without that safety cord and never had one collapse but they really should have the cord.
04f1de4292bb0c1a5d99b8b83389840b.jpg

Neat! Any more pictures?

Neat! Any more pictures?
I have several of these with a slightly different build (I dont have pics of those).

As I said, these are really over built. The solid plates in the pics are what the teeth are welded to, and the plates are bolted to the platform.
The reason we did it that was the "logistics" of the guy who welded for us...think " government job" at his regular job. He didn't want to handle the platform at his job site but he would weld the teeth to the plates.

The stands could be a pound lighter if the teeth were welded directly to the platform...the way my other diy stands are.

We've used chains on most of our older versions and we just welded a hook directly onto the platform. My buddy thought a clevis would be better than a hook. I'm torn on that. Each has their attributes.
I would bet that these could be further lightened by another 5 pounds by using webbing, amsteel, or other rope. I did have some I made in the 1980s and I used old lap style seatbelts from a junkyard. They worked really well. These days there are a lot more sources for webbing, buckles and other suitabl hardware. This off season I will try swapping the clevis for a hook, and then use amsteel with a timber hitch. I am optimistic that will work well and these will be 100% quiet and half the weight.
The platform material is scrap from catwalks from my old plant. When they closed the place they were sending those to the junk...I snagged a bunch. They make great platforms.
968b35aa4a9a54ef5b79fcb74d3e165d.jpg
32825d40a0c0cda753f0e5aecb0472f2.jpg
c75695a440c26c4d950ff4c7a34ebb6c.jpg
8852fd07acd1bdecee93f7cd60a3885d.jpg

I have several of these with a slightly different build (I dont have pics of those).

As I said, these are really over built. The solid plates in the pics are what the teeth are welded to, and the plates are bolted to the platform.
The reason we did it that was the "logistics" of the guy who welded for us...think " government job" at his regular job. He didn't want to handle the platform at his job site but he would weld the teeth to the plates.

The stands could be a pound lighter if the teeth were welded directly to the platform...the way my other diy stands are.

We've used chains on most of our older versions and we just welded a hook directly onto the platform. My buddy thought a clevis would be better than a hook. I'm torn on that. Each has their attributes.
I would bet that these could be further lightened by another 5 pounds by using webbing, amsteel, or other rope. I did have some I made in the 1980s and I used old lap style seatbelts from a junkyard. They worked really well. These days there are a lot more sources for webbing, buckles and other suitabl hardware. This off season I will try swapping the clevis for a hook, and then use amsteel with a timber hitch. I am optimistic that will work well and these will be 100% quiet and half the weight.
The platform material is scrap from catwalks from my old plant. When they closed the place they were sending those to the junk...I snagged a bunch. They make great platforms.

Are those just cut up atv ramps?

Plywood platform in conjunction with a Primal V Step or Wild Edge step...

Screenshot_20211201-150245.png

Just make sure you are safely tethered in before standing on it...

Similar builds I used a cheap ratchet strap works great if you can weld

I converted the chain to an Amsteel whoopie sling. This seems to work really well. 3 pounds lighter and no noise factor.
I will still keep chain on a few of them but I'm really liking this version.
Now I need some 1/8" Amsteel to make a short whoopie for a trap door prevention cord. It will run from the support post up to the platform.

I think with a little softening of the teeth, these might actually be legit for public land. This test of the whoopie was on a hickory tree and it didn't really penetrate the bark. I imagine these could be made so they don't do any more tree damage than some climbers.
a63494151fee73cbd01cbaae5ee81d02.jpg

Here's a version with amsteel timber hitch. It held well too but it was a little fumbly getting it adjusted just right.

I also tried a versa strap and it was typical of my experiences with versa straps on platforms...just couldn't seem to have the right loop in the right spot. Either too loose or too tight.
2107922d0e0294a608ef641d704e22df.jpg

I have a bunch of similar stands that my uncle made over the years. About a 2’x2’ platform of 3/4” square tubing with expanded metal welded on top. Chain to the tree. He’s getting older now, so he doesn’t use them anymore. No telling how many are grown into trees on our land now…
Hunted off of them for years without a saddle (or any safety gear). Just stood there and tried not to fall off…

Back