• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Homemade sticks. Standoff?

Rymanco

Going to be building a set of sticks out of aluminum and was wondering if you guys have used anything other than the standoff from lone wolf sticks. I am not really sure what other options there may be. Was looking for another option besides spending $60 for 6 standoffs

I have a couple weak attempts ill take some pics when i get back in my office. My new idea is 1/4”
Aluminum plate. Idea copied from ernies predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to make some diy sticks, will be curious what you come up with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Perfect world? Sub 2lb 24” stick, double folding steps, cam cleats with folding Standoff’s? Not that I’ve spent a lot of time on it.

The cam cleats don't work with amstel right? thats the one where you just pull the rope through right? What size amstel for the versa button option? need to find the DIY stick thread, lol.

The cam cleats don't work with amstel right? thats the one where you just pull the rope through right? What size amstel for the versa button option? need to find the DIY stick thread, lol.

Maybe
Yes
1/4” imho depends strictly on your spacer

What thickness are most of the standoff’s? I’ve got a bunch of aluminum and a water jet just waiting lol!

Perfect world? Sub 2lb 24” stick, double folding steps, cam cleats with folding Standoff’s? Not that I’ve spent a lot of time on it.

You must have been reading my mind

What thickness are most of the standoff’s? I’ve got a bunch of aluminum and a water jet just waiting lol!

Xop stand offs are 5/8" thick. 3.5" from tree to to stick. 5.5" wide.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Xop stand offs are 5/8" thick. 3.5" from tree to to stick. 5.5" wide.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I have a ton of 1/2”, will work for the steps, but not sure about the standoff’s.

I'm pretty sure @g2outdoors uses amsteel with Cam cleats on his sticks. I used them at Saddle palooza playing around but for the life of me I can't say 100% maybe he can tell you. The cam cleats completely close up so I don't think that the fact that it's a hollow-core rope would have any negative effect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure @g2outdoors uses amsteel with Cam cleats on his sticks. I used them at Saddle palooza playing around but for the life of me I can't say 100% maybe he can tell you. The cam cleats completely close up so I don't think that the fact that it's a hollow-core rope would have any negative effect.

Cool, hopefully when things cool down @g2outdoors can chime and give us noobs some guidance, lol. I watched @bowhunter15s video on his DIY sticks and I think he used 1/4 amsteel with a button that looked pretty sweet, I'll probably try that, although @DaveT1963 said the amstel can get noisy after some wear, not sure, it's hard to argue with that weight and strength!

I use 1/4" for everything. I've never liked it much for climbing sticks, but some guys swear by it. Ernie Power put it on my custom Klemz style platform with a cam cleat. Seams to work great. It crushes the rope for sure, but it doesn't seem to do any permanent damage.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I use 1/4" for everything. I've never liked it much for climbing sticks, but some guys swear by it. Ernie Power put it on my custom Klemz style platform with a cam cleat. Seams to work great. It crushes the rope for sure, but it doesn't seem to do any permanent damage.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
I couldn't remember what type of rope you had on yours, whether it was amsteel or not. What type of rope do you use? And what is the main reason for not using amsteel on climbing sticks? Is it because it tends to be slick or not grab is good on slick trees? I'm sure there's been some discussion about it somewhere around here that I've read already but I can't recall at the moment.

I couldn't remember what type of rope you had on yours, whether it was amsteel or not. What type of rope do you use? And what is the main reason for not using amsteel on climbing sticks? Is it because it tends to be slick or not grab is good on slick trees? I'm sure there's been some discussion about it somewhere around here that I've read already but I can't recall at the moment.

I think amsteel has a tendency to fray on the bark. That is why we do not use it for tethers either. I plan on using it on my sticks because it is light and strong and does not have much exposure to bark compared to a tether of linemans rope.

Back