• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hooks, Lies, and Thinkers

Nutterbuster

SH Member
At the behest of a friend, I'm starting a Substack as an outlet for some of my more creative writing.

Currently it's just personal short stories and reflections, but the goal is to work towards a place where I'm sharing other people's stories. First publication will be tomorrow, and the posting schedule will be weekly at 8am central on Friday. If you want a short hunting/outdoor emailed to you every week, check it out.

First one is a fun read, well done! Looking forward to seeing where this goes for you.

Nutter,
Great read about "Roger". I am a founding member of the Psycho Fly Fishers (PFF), We all met to camp and fly fish the Shady Valley area of TN, way to many moons ago, the same exact way. These damn forums will get you in a lot of trouble, but make for some great life long friends!!!! Thanks for stiring the memories!

Pretty sure this weeks edition was fleshed out a bit on these very message boards, not trying to restart that convo, it just came to mind. Sharing the link for non-subscribers out there, it’s certainly an interesting topic and, in my opinion, a well written piece with a lot of thought put into it.

Pretty sure this weeks edition was fleshed out a bit on these very message boards, not trying to restart that convo, it just came to mind. Sharing the link for non-subscribers out there, it’s certainly an interesting topic and, in my opinion, a well written piece with a lot of thought put into it.

That is pretty deep and, I'd like to think, brutally honest... I like to think of myself as somewhat philosophic and intelligent, and this definitely is thought invoking. I will say though, that everything acknowledgeable by any individual is tinted by the lens they grant themselves to view the subject through.

Awesome essay… I’ve tried several times to go largely vegetarian with the exception of meat I procure. I like the vegggie food but learning new recipes and getting them in muscle memory has been the hardest part. Intend to keep trying. Enjoying the killing for me faded with age (I’m 45 now), and likely will to some degree for all of you young guys. genuinely don’t relish that part, but still am obsessed with the puzzle and being successful at it. Concern for the creatures also puts me firmly in the “high percentage shots only” category. We blow off bad shots with “they’re tough critters” or “he’ll survive” but the thought of a non fatal hit and all the implications of that makes me sick. Folks would have less chill if that was an errant shot put into their black lab, especially if no medical attention for the dog was available. Drone Deer Recovery on youtube has put a spotlight on our failure rate in the past year. Meat is murder IMO, but clean kills on wild game still seems like a better option than factory raised animals living lives of misery. Wild game wouldn’t support the human population so there’s only two options to move the dial there… far less meat consumption per capita, and lab grown flesh. There’s too many of us and yep it’s a dilemma.

Back